England Cricket 2018

Brian Mcculloch Glasgow

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Worth persevering with Mo at 3 for now, with winter tours to Sri Lanka & West Indies coming up.

Slow pitches, turning wickets and the need to get 2 spinners into the team makes this a sensible option (if short-term) I reckon.

If we do have him at 3, I’d like a coach who won’t simply tell him to go out and play his ‘natural game’. 

100% the right call. 

It's been hard to watch him over the last year or so bar 200 on a flat wicket at the MCG. Definitely hasn't tainted his achievements prior to his drop in performance. Our all time leading run scorer and then some again, a cricketing legend. 

In terms of how to conduct oneself, one of England's best ever sportsman - an absolute role model. Good time to bow out. Hope he makes a score of some sort at the Oval.

Moving forward, I imagine Burns from Surrey will get the nod? I quite like Stoneman but he never made a big score. It's a shame Hameed hasn't kicked on, still young of course. We've really lacked consistency in the top 3 spots since Vaughn, Trescothick, Trott departed and been far too reliant on Cook. It was disappointing James Taylor had to retire, good player.

Not against playing Moeen at 3 but he needs to keep focusing on his bowling - still our best spin bowler. I still like Jack Leach - hopefully he'll come again.

On 05/09/2018 at 12:03, inter politics said:

In terms of how to conduct oneself, one of England's best ever sportsman - an absolute role model. Good time to bow out. Hope he makes a score of some sort at the Oval.

Moving forward, I imagine Burns from Surrey will get the nod? I quite like Stoneman but he never made a big score. It's a shame Hameed hasn't kicked on, still young of course. We've really lacked consistency in the top 3 spots since Vaughn, Trescothick, Trott departed and been far too reliant on Cook. It was disappointing James Taylor had to retire, good player.

Not against playing Moeen at 3 but he needs to keep focusing on his bowling - still our best spin bowler. I still like Jack Leach - hopefully he'll come again.

There are some very good kids coming through - but I'm not sure that they are ready yet. Then again, I didn't think that Sam Curran was.

Cook has finally remembered what it takes to be Cook - patience, doggedness and a desire to acquire runs.

It might be slow, attritional cricket (little more than two runs an over), but every run he and Moeen can wring out of this track might prove to be priceless.

As I post this, Cook drags on for 71.

I like matches where the bowlers are on top, so from a perverse point of view, even though England are having their usual systemic failure, I'm loving this game.

This may have something to do with the fact that I am currently writing Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery documentation for the company I am working for. It may be perverse, but what good is disaster recovery if you don't have a disaster? It's almost as nonsensical as building a bomb and then not blowing stuff up.

The tail wagging like a good un this morning, with Broad and Buttler adding 90 unbroken for the ninth wicket, leaving England nicely placed on 304-8 at lunch. The ball is still describing hoops, but the Indian bowlers look shot. Three seamers for the fifth of a five match test series crammed into seven weeks is madness - especially when you think that Vihari, the second spinner/all-rounder, has just bowled a single over.

One of only three batsmen to register four scores of 50 or more in his first and last test matches in test match history, and one of just five to get centuries in his first and last games.

Archived