England Cricket 2018

Brian Mcculloch Glasgow

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

They can dish it out but not take it and now they have got what they deserve on and off the pitch.

Probably deserve a bit more off the pitch, thought they'd have given more than fine and 1 match ban to Smith and just a fine to bancroft. Expect Smith will lose the captaincy too I suppose

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Probably deserve a bit more off the pitch, thought they'd have given more than fine and 1 match ban to Smith and just a fine to bancroft. Expect Smith will lose the captaincy too I suppose

It's difficult to see how he could possibly keep the captaincy in any normal situation. Likewise Lehmann (I don't think anyone believes he had nothing to do with it).

However, I am not sure Cricket Australia is normal.

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, Joe. said:

Well i would hope so.. surprised he hasnt resigned already.

14 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

That weird press conference they did just made it sound like they didn't think it was such a big deal.

He shouldn't be allowed to resign. He should be fired.

I think they thought that if they came out and fessed up with a big apology it would blow over and they could nip the inevitable reaction in the bud.

Didn't really work!

Meanwhile, England have got off quite lightly with yet another thrashing away from home... if there was a week to get away with such a poor performance, this was certainly it. Thanks Aussies!

Changes are needed for England certainly, the batting is consistently failing to get anywhere near 400 in the first innings and the bowling is proving impotent and lacking in variety.

The trouble is that there is a lack of real options in the touring squad... for the next game I'd go with something like...

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Bairstow, Malan, Stokes (Woakes if Stokes can't bowl!!), Foakes WKT, Broad, Leach, Wood, Anderson

The time has come to give Leach a go, as Moeen is proving ineffective with both ball AND bat. Wood has to come in to add some pace, even if we do only get 12-15 overs a day out of him.

The tail looks weak I agree, but we must STOP choosing bowlers because they can bat, we need to start picking the bowlers that give us the best chance of taking 20 wickets in a game!

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Meanwhile, England have got off quite lightly with yet another thrashing away from home... if there was a week to get away with such a poor performance, this was certainly it. Thanks Aussies!

Changes are needed for England certainly, the batting is consistently failing to get anywhere near 400 in the first innings and the bowling is proving impotent and lacking in variety.

The trouble is that there is a lack of real options in the touring squad... for the next game I'd go with something like...

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Bairstow, Malan, Stokes (Woakes if Stokes can't bowl!!), Foakes WKT, Broad, Leach, Wood, Anderson

The time has come to give Leach a go, as Moeen is proving ineffective with both ball AND bat. Wood has to come in to add some pace, even if we do only get 12-15 overs a day out of him.

The tail looks weak I agree, but we must STOP choosing bowlers because they can bat, we need to start picking the bowlers that give us the best chance of taking 20 wickets in a game!

I entirely agree.

The worst effect of this is to say to the batsmen 'it's ok, we bat all the way down to 9, so don't worry too much about occupying the crease or knuckling down for a long innings.'

Also, have a look at the scores England's opposition have racked up on first innings over the last couple of years. Frightening.

4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I entirely agree.

The worst effect of this is to say to the batsmen 'it's ok, we bat all the way down to 9, so don't worry too much about occupying the crease or knuckling down for a long innings.'

Also, have a look at the scores England's opposition have racked up on first innings over the last couple of years. Frightening.

I know, it's awful, and that's what happens when you have an "attack" consisting of 4 x 80mph right armers and a part-time spinner in conditions that aren't as helpful as they are in England.

What I'd really like them to do this summer is give a proper spinner a go (Leach) and find the most promising young quickie in the country, preferably a left armer (Garton? Sam Curran?) and give them a proper run in the team. We should be using the experience of Broad & Anderson while we can to give a young quickie a run, who can then learn off the older heads.

PistoldPete2
49 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I dont know whats gone wrong with Cook and ali, they look very short of confidence. At least Root still getting 50s even tho with the fragility of the rest of the batting, 50s from him isnt enough. 

Ill put my head on the block, 

I think the 12 month bans are a bit lengthy and comes accross as CA reacting to the media outrage. 

It seems like everyone and their dog has been waiting for a chance to have a go at Smith and especially Warner. We've now got the chance and its gone OTT. 

I cant help feeling Warner has been made the scapegoat and there are more people in that dressing room that are keeping quiet. 

Its maybe me, but I've yet to hear any comment from any member of the ICC.  Do you think they are keeping quiet because they know every team partakes in ball tampering one way or another. 

13 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I think the 12 month bans are a bit lengthy and comes accross as CA reacting to the media outrage. 

It seems like everyone and their dog has been waiting for a chance to have a go at Smith and especially Warner. We've now got the chance and its gone OTT. 

I cant help feeling Warner has been made the scapegoat and there are more people in that dressing room that are keeping quiet. 

Its maybe me, but I've yet to hear any comment from any member of the ICC.  Do you think they are keeping quiet because they know every team partakes in ball tampering one way or another. 

Not a cricket fan so you may not agree with my comments but 12 months is enough to be a punishment and short enough to make the 3 keep their mouths shut about it.  It can then be swept under the carpet

14 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Bear in mind that the Australian cricket season is all but over. A six-month ban, for example, would have no effect whatsoever as the players would miss no cricket at all.

PistoldPete2
14 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I dont agree Previous ball tampering incidents have just been a bit of dirt or whatever. Using sandpaper is just so blatant and wrong. What made this worse was then lying about it.

Archived