England Cricket 2018

Brian Mcculloch Glasgow

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

Who are the other two Eddie ?

No idea. It was said on TMS - but I no longer have access to Cricket Archive (the git who bought the site put a £50 annual fee on the use of it).

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just been told that he was the second ever - the first being Bruce Mitchell of South Africa. Furthermore, Cook is the only player in test match history to have scored a century and a half-century in both his first and last matches (apart from one player who only ever played one test).

43 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Brilliant day, managed to sneak out of work for half hour to catch the Cook 100. 

Cook, Root, Broad and Anderson just all top notch. 

Yes, it was one of those 'have to watch, whatever happens' moments. I sneaked out of work to watch when Lara went past Sobers's 365.

5 hours ago, eddie said:

One of only three batsmen to register four scores of 50 or more in his first and last test matches in test match history, and one of just five to get centuries in his first and last games.

Superb way to bat out for England.

21 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Who are the other two Eddie ?

19 hours ago, eddie said:

No idea. It was said on TMS - but I no longer have access to Cricket Archive (the git who bought the site put a £50 annual fee on the use of it).

Not sure on the first part but this was on the BBC Web commentary yesterday

He joins Reggie Duff, Bill Ponsford, Greg Chappell and Mohammad Azharuddin as the men to hit a century on debut and in their final matches. 

This now has the potential to be one of the great test matches of all time. Pant and Rahul have currently added 177 for the sixth wicket, so just 166 more in the final session (33 overs left) would give India the most unlikely victory. The big obstacle on the horizon for India is the new ball, due in just 5 overs time.

Nice.

In the game that Cook ended his test match career top of the opening batsmen's career aggregate for runs scored, Anderson goes top of the pile of opening bowlers for wickets taken.

On 13/09/2018 at 13:59, SuperFrankieL said:

Is Anderson greater Steyn? Is he greater than McGrath? 

Over the last 5 years, he is comparable to both. Anderson's problem was that it took him 10 years to learn to bowl 'like Anderson'.

6 hours ago, eddie said:

Over the last 5 years, he is comparable to both. Anderson's problem was that it took him 10 years to learn to bowl 'like Anderson'.

indeed... Most improved bowler of all time. Plus side to the slow improvement is that it looks like his improvement is continuing so he might have a good few years left yet. 

Archived