Kuzszack

Topram

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

If we're going to buy a goalkeeper, then do it properly in the summer if roos and mitchell aren't deemed good enough to step in.

(Always thought kusczak is another dodgy keeper)

I thought Carson was when we signed him and look how that turned out!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

Prettt sure GK is the one position you can get a player on loan outside of the transfer window so i dont think a permenant player is necessary.

If Carson gets injured there will be plenty of 3rd or 4th in line keepers who could be taken on loan i.e. Danny Ward at liverpool or legzdins at Burnley. 

Dont waste the money i say.

You ca only get an emergency loan for a goalkeeper if you have no senior goalkeepers available, Roos and Mitchell fall under senior goalkeepers.

20 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

Prettt sure GK is the one position you can get a player on loan outside of the transfer window so i dont think a permenant player is necessary.

If Carson gets injured there will be plenty of 3rd or 4th in line keepers who could be taken on loan i.e. Danny Ward at liverpool or legzdins at Burnley. 

Dont waste the money i say.

No we can't. The only way that's allowed is if there are no available professional keepers. So that would mean injuries or suspensions to Carson, Mitchell, Roos, Ravas, Yates, Fryatt and French. They've really tightened up the rules this season.

8 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I thought Carson was when we signed him and look how that turned out!

The one - often forgotten - fact about that signing is........carson was identified by eric steele as the best keeper for us.

He wasn't a paul clement or chris evans find.

(He was signed to replace Lee Grant. In the latter half of the previous season Grant was all over the place, but mac1 felt we didn't have anyone else who was ready). 

I think with this likely to be a permanent it is also an eye to next season as well, hopefully Mitchell can get a good 18 months experience at a good level playing week in week out and we have 2 really experienced keepers whether we are in the Prem or Champ, they both have vast experience at both levels - makes sense to me

We would look very foolish and not a little short sighted if didn't solve this potential problem now.

God forbid Carson gets injured and then our season falls apart.

This is a goalkeeper whose played at the highest level both internationally and in Premiership with Man Utd. GR knows him well and he won't cost much.

Any risk is well out weighted by the benefit of signing him.

A no brainer.

14 hours ago, Saity said:

I remember us playing Brighton off of the park at there place one evening towards the end of season and i'm pretty sure (although not 100 per cent ) it was Kusczak who virtually single handedly kept them in the game and we somehow lost 0-2!!! I think Russell played up front as Martin and Bent were injured but Kusczak that eve was awesome...

Yeah I was there - but wasn't it David Stockdale in goals for them?

Was at the beginning of our 2015 meltdown, just after we lost to Fulham and yes, Johnny Russell was up front, Hendrick hit the bar and I think Mascarell had a good game as we were virtually camped in their half in the second half.

There's no point in messing around if this guy is available and willing to come and sit on our bench. If we don't have an experienced replacement and Carson gets injured it could be the difference between automatic promotion and not.

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

If we're going to buy a goalkeeper, then do it properly in the summer if roos and mitchell aren't deemed good enough to step in.

(Always thought kusczak is another dodgy keeper)

And if Carson gets injured between now and then?

6 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Yeah I was there - but wasn't it David Stockdale in goals for them?

Was at the beginning of our 2015 meltdown, just after we lost to Fulham and yes, Johnny Russell was up front, Hendrick hit the bar and I think Mascarell had a good game as we were virtually camped in their half in the second half.

It was Stockdale yes I remember the stats were so one sided and we actually played very well but yes it was the start of the meltdown and an unbeleivable loss after playing them off the park  Brighton fans were saying on train how much we battered them and yet lost!!!! hopefully we have a bit more in the locker this time around:thumbsup:

Just now, Saity said:

It was Stockdale yes I remember the stats were so one sided and we actually played very well but yes it was the start of the meltdown and an unbeleivable loss after playing them off the park  Brighton fans were saying on train how much we battered them and yet lost!!!! hopefully we have a bit more in the locker this time around:thumbsup:

Could well have been the fixture where the team lost a bit of hope.

We were excellent that night. 

10 hours ago, rynny said:

You ca only get an emergency loan for a goalkeeper if you have no senior goalkeepers available, Roos and Mitchell fall under senior goalkeepers.

Do they?

Clubs are permitted to sign a goalkeeper on a seven-day ‘emergency loan’ basis if they do not have a senior goalkeeper that has made five first-team apps

Mitchell hasn't played a league game for us. He has played 5 cup games. I don't know if that counts. If by picking him to play v grimsby we triggered the rule that means we can't bring ina loan keeper, then presumably we thought he was good enough.

Roos has the same appearance stats i think, but as noted by others has played for 2 clubs already.

if we are going to buy a senior keeper then at least buy a good one.

Kuzszack was outstanding for Brighton at times, but always seemed to fall apart against us. Not that I'm complaining. 

In all seriousness, I think an experienced back up is needed until the end of the season at least. 

1) regardless of ability, the defence will feel more comfortable with a man who has been there and done it in the past. They won't second guess their choices as much and change their usual decision making process.

2) Mitchell could well be the best keeper in the world. However, if Carson got injured against Bristol, it would be huge pressure on his shoulders and that's likely to create a sink or swim scenario which isn't good for any player playing their first few games of competitive football. 

It's hard to find a keeper to accept being number two, but we need to cover all basis. It's a shame the loan window isn't open after the break, even if just for goalkeepers. 

Archived