Kuzszack

Topram

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would make sense. Experienced keeper, worked with Rowett before etc.

This is painting a pretty clear image of our plans for this window. Solid, reliable squad players from whom you know exactly what you’re going to get. No letting injuries ruin us, no failing due lack of depth. Absolutely no **** ups.

Get the idea that the club think Mitchell and Roos aren't good enough and may never been at their age, they're both young but hardly prospects at 23 and 25. 

As for Kuzszack, never rated him too highly but hopefully will never play for us. Decent second choice, 1 year contract no more. 

5 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Get the idea that the club think Mitchell and Roos aren't good enough and may never been at their age, they're both young but hardly prospects at 23 and 25. 

As for Kuzszack, never rated him too highly but hopefully will never play for us. Decent second choice, 1 year contract no more. 

In the championship there has been 2 goalkeepers to appear that are younger than Mitchell, Angus Gunn at Norwich and Joe Wildsmith at Sheff Weds. I would say it is too early to make a judgement on him.

Here's a report on it: http://the72.co.uk/96841/derby-county-want-sign-birmingham-city-goalkeeper/

The one single thing that has most potential to derail this season is an injury to Carson. I don't think Mitchell is good enough backup. I'm dubious that Roos (who would still be a risk and who doesn't seem to be rated at the club anyway) would be allowed to play as he's already played for two different clubs this season on loan.

Bringing in an experienced keeper would be very hard on Mitchell, but football is brutal and there are vast amounts of money at stake. I'd be thrilled if someone as good as Kuszczak could be brought in as backup. If true it suggests we plan to release the younger keepers and put our next hope in Josh Barnes.

24 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

There are two types of goalkeepers who play first team football (not on loan) at 24 or below. Those playing at clubs that don't have another goalkeeper to play, and those who are genuinely world class. 

Most of the former do not hold their place, they're often inconsistent and usually get replaced by some 28+ y.o keeper who takes the spot in the first team until the youth is older. Some do hold their place of course, but its a risk.

And even the latter are inconsistent when young, I remember De Gea's first season playing (or two? I dont remember how long he was a bit meh) at Man Utd.

It doesn't matter what you think of Mitchell or Roos, but neither are anywhere near as good as Carson. And then, if Carson were to get injured - would you want to risk his backup being someone who's played almost no first team football? Especially in what is going to be a very high-pressure second half of the season.

I don't particularly rate Roos, personally. But I do like Mitchell. I think Mitchell's a good keeper and I genuinely reckon he's going to be a great keeper. But even if I think he'd manage were he put into our first team this weekend until the end of the season, it's still a MUCH safer bet to bring in someone experienced to do that job.

Lets worry about turning our youth into world class players when we're out of a very tiring, physical league that its risky for them to play in and where we're paying our players more than we're getting, making it a difficult decision to take the risk with them at all.

We can take all the risks with the youth we like when we're sitting comfortably in 10th place in the Prem. :D

Makes a lot of sense. At his age and stage of contract would be cheap. Given how Carson has performed, as well as a couple of iffy performances from Mitchell at U23s level there seems a massive gulf between the 2 of them! Plus as some have said, GR obviously knows him and is confident he'll be good around the team. 

Plus if JM is going to kick on to become a future starter at this level he's going to need one of the following
A) Go out on loan, play consistent senior football, with the pressure associated, and gain confidence and experience
Or B) Play every single game for U23s (not missing some so he can sit on 1st team bench the next day) and train constantly with another, new experienced keeper.

This gives Derby option for A or B whichever they decided.  

23 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Bringing in an experienced keeper would be very hard on Mitchell, but football is brutal and there are vast amounts of money at stake. I'd be thrilled if someone as good as Kuszczak could be brought in as backup. If true it suggests we plan to release the younger keepers and put our next hope in Josh Barnes.

Sure Mitchel recently signed a new deal didn’t he? I think it’s more reasonable to think that he will be sent out on loan, not just for the rest of this season, but next season as well. The kid really needs to go out and play some lower league football to see how good he really can be. 

Take Pickford for example he was loaned out all over the shop before getting his chance at Sunderland (albeit fortunately due to injuries) but he had plenty of first team experience by the so was ready to take his chance when it came.

Archived