Which managers have influenced Gary Rowett's approach to management?

Rampage

Gary Rowett has his very own style of football management and man management. He has his own ideas on which style of football that he likes his team to play. Which manager do you think influenced him the most as a player? Which other serving managers appear to be most similar to him in the way that he managers? There is plenty of room for speculation here but I thought that this thread may provoke a few interesting insights on these questions. Please feel free to give your pearls of wisdom here.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Can see influences of Jim Smith's "team ethic". 

Didn't Rowett quote that he appreciated Klopps pressing style at Dortmund too. 

Thankfully though, Gary Rowett doesn't seem to appreciate Klopps ludicrous jumping around and gurning during matches. Nothing wrong with a modest clenched fist pump or a tip of the hat Gary! :lol:

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

John beck seems to be his biggest influence. Even according to Gary.

Beck teams were awful to watch - much worse than anything produced by Pulis. From what we've seen so far under Rowett, there's very little of the Beck system as I remember it.

3 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Beck teams were awful to watch - much worse than anything produced by Pulis. From what we've seen so far under Rowett, there's very little of the Beck system as I remember it.

Wasn't the Beck system statistically driven. Goals mainly scored within the box so boot it in there! Worked for a while but dire to watch.

Just now, Rampage said:

Please expand on this HantsRam.

He was a director of coaching or something at the FA. His approach was based on loads of stats analysing how goals are scored. 

He used his stats to develop his "direct" football approach. Eg 3 touches maximum from back to front.

Became regarded as the founding father of long ball tactics and influential over a generation of English coaches.

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

He was a director of coaching or something at the FA. His approach was based on loads of stats analysing how goals are scored. 

He used his stats to develop his "direct" football approach. Eg 3 touches maximum from back to front.

Became regarded as the founding father of long ball tactics and influential over a generation of English coaches.

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Basically true but great skill levels with our front four. Huddlestone and George best two long passers of the ball for awhile at the Rams. Nothing wrong with a killer 40 metre pass that puts Vydra on goal. Why beat three men when you can accurately pass a ball anywhere on the pitch, short or long and bypass those three opponents?

Just now, Rampage said:

Basically true but great skill levels with our front four. Huddlestone and George best two long passers of the ball for awhile at the Rams. Nothing wrong with a killer 40 metre pass that puts Vydra on goal. Why beat three men when you can accurately pass a ball anywhere on the pitch, short or long and bypass those three opponents?

Spot on- nothing wrong at all with a considered long pass. 

The Charles Hughes methods however,  led to nothing but long channel balls and punts designed to get the ball in the box within 3-5 seconds. No variety. Very kick and rush.

25 minutes ago, Rampage said:

That’s all well and good but the three touches in question are goal-kick, flick-on, goal :lol:

8 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

I think if you watch the "Ramstv meets" interview with gary rowett, he talks about it.

14 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I am unable to sign up for RamsTV. Any helpful hints?

I don't think you need to sign up to watch the interviews.

Archived