Derby County F.C. v Bristol City F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/01/2018 at 15:51, Paul71 said:

I didnt think he had that bad a game, yes he got the penalty wrong and I was unhappy at the time of course i was, but you can see that Jerome made it easy for him not to give it. The only person that needs to be taken to task is Jerome for his theatrical dive, if he had just gone down normally he would probably have got the penalty.

Sorry Paul, I have to disagree. Watch the video of the peno incident again - he was "felled" by the tackle, which was clearly a foul. ALl Jerome did was to throw his hands forwards and upwards more than he should have done. Watch the reactin of the offending defender - he looks down knowing full well what he had just done, then looks round in disbelief when he realises what Edwards had actually decided. He even says it should ahve been a peno in his after-match interview.

In addition, if you are happy with the refs pwrfomrnace, you must be a season-ticket holder, and you must be easily pleased. As I said, within the first 5 minutes, Thorne, Russell and Lawrence had been hacked to the floor, with only one free-kick to show. There were a series of "professional" fouls on Rams players about to break through on goal which should have been yellow cards, with one defender due for two of them, and therefore a red. But nothing - not even a stern word. I am sorry, but the penalty incident was just the icing on the cake, although it was a pretty disgusting-tasting cake. For instance, Jerome was manhandled and wrestled off the ball in the penalty area only minutes before said incident. He didn't actually hit the ground, only because he did his utmost to stay up, but no penalty given, even though it was pretty blatant, and even though it was in full view of the blinkered donkey. Virtually every time we did more than tread on a Bristol City player's shadow, the ref blew for a free- kick. By contrast, with just aerial duels, every one of those was accompanied by a Bristol player shoving, bumping or pushing the Ram off balance, on one occasion with a two-handed push into the back right in front of the refs eyes. There is no way that  his performance amounts to not having a bad game.

On 21/01/2018 at 15:35, Mafiabob said:

One of the most completely blinkered statements I’ve seen for a long time..... 

Taken to task...... I won’t ask how, as I know full well what you’re alluding to.

Pretty pathetic response.... really shows the contempt people give officials, they get things wrong..... I accept, so do players and managers.

With that highlighted comment on your post..... that’s when it becomes hateful and dangerous.

No one deserves to be taken to task just because they may have made an error.

Im guessing you’re of the Mourinho school of thought..... criticise an official and blame them..... and then sit back and watch the hordes threaten an official with death etc (see Anders Frisk), you agree with that as “taken to task”?????

One day you’ll realise this game won’t function properly without an official. One day one of them will be assaulted/killed, because of comments like that.

Pathetic

Maybe I was a little bit sloppy when I used the phrase "taken to task". I can see how it can be seen to imply something nasty. I wasn't wanting to suggest anything nasty, but probably was still seething at the ref's inept performance.

" really shows the contempt people give officials, they get things wrong..... I accept, so do players and managers." Ultimately, I think we would all love to be able to applaud the match officials off the pitch at the end of the match, but the reality is somewhat different. And as I said in the final paragraph, refs do make mistakes, and if it were 2 or 3, or maybe even half a dozen, then we could all go home happy, and still be happy when we get on the forums. But the 2 or 3 is not far off Edwards rate per minute.

Also, I do know that the game doesn't function without match officials. But when those officials don't function either, the outcome of games are affected - the Bristol City match being a good example. Yes we had chances to put the game to bed, but we also spent much of the match hanging back from tackles because the man in black kept giving ridiculous free-kick awards against us. Bristol could have been arguably down to ten men, there could have been TWO (not just one) penalties.

If the powers that be actually did something about the situation so that refereeing performance actually improved, then all would be good. But they don't, almost sitting in an ivory tower claiming that referee's maintain an incredibly high standard. The only censure we get to hear about is when a Premier League referee is sent to EFL Championship games as a punishment. What an insult to the championship! If they did something about it, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Here's hoping!

Archived