Russell’s tackle on Maghoma

Kernow

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Kernow said:

I saw a thread on SHA (link below) about the tackle JR did yesterday which was pretty much a rugby tackle as Maghoma was breaking. 

What were your thoughts on the tackle? Other than the goals, it was what got the biggest applause from me yesterday. He took a yellow for the sake of the team. We were 2-0 up and he couldn’t risk them getting one back. In my opinion I thought it was an extremely clever piece of play by Russell, perfect example of taking one for the team.

If it were the other way round though, I’d be furious. In the current rules, it’s a yellow, but good points are made that is a yellow really harsh enough for that kind of challenge? It’s not worth a red, but a yellow is no punishment at all compared to the play itself.

https://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,2403607

yellow card

1 hour ago, simsdcfc said:

them brummys really dont like us.

Well, if we had a daft owner who fired Rowett and since then Derby plummeted down the table while Birmingham raced up to second and then humiliated us on our home ground and threw in a rugby tackle for good measure i think i would be a bit sore too

5 hours ago, curtains said:

Never mind that. 

Johnny playing his best football at Derby at the moment .

Best I’ve seen from him .

He was great Saturday 

skysports-birmingham-johnny-russell-coun

Agreed. It was his direct running that I enjoyed. When he got hold of it he was turning their defenders inside out.

I'd like to see a new contract for him and Thorne soon.

4 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

1442incik6847240.jpg

He was holding him back or slowing him down. Whatever.

Thats a great picture for summing up the problem JR was faced with.

Both our CBs are behind him trying to chase.

If it's not a red, it'll become the norm. Are people seriously suggesting a rugby tackle three or four times a game to stop threatening attacks shouldn't be a red?

It was a professional foul and with no attempt to play the ball can definitely be given as a red card. The rule book doesn't say intent to hurt or being overly aggressive. 

It was extremely cynical and I do believe it should have been a red. Have to ask fans on here, if that was Vydra breaking free and someone did that to him in the middle of the attacking half, what would you want their player to be given?

Just been thinking, I’ve recently been critical of Johnny Russell of late, especially not helping out to retain possession and helping out his defender.

Well, Saturday he’d was really impressive, well done lad.

I like to give praise as well when deserved, and he deserved some after the last performance, keep it up Johnny ??

Archived