Russell’s tackle on Maghoma

Kernow

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Clear yellow too far out to be a red as didnt prevent a certain goal......i think they call it ...taking one for the team.....well done JR

It’s automatic red in my view because although it doesn’t fit neatly in the prescribed auto red card situations it totally contradicts the spirit of the game. 

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

The laws of the game say it's a yellow. Very like Leroy Fer's for Swansea a few days ago, when I applauded the ref for pulling out a red card. Haven't read the SHA forum but I think challenges such as this should be a red because they are a deliberate attempt to take a player out and stop the play, without even any pretence of trying to win the ball.

I also appplaud Johnny for doing it and preventing a potentially dangerous buildup, but if this is allowed to go on without red cards, we might as well start rugby tackling players every game. We used the laws of the game to our advantage here, but the laws of the game should be changed.

Thats been rescinded now though.

13 minutes ago, Ninos said:

It’s automatic red in my view because although it doesn’t fit neatly in the prescribed auto red card situations it totally contradicts the spirit of the game. 

Its not though as that's not the rule. Had JR known a red was likely chances are he wouldn't have done it.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Inevitable as the laws of the game didn't allow for a red, but I think in the spirit of the game it should have been, just as Johnny's should have been.

No different to a shirt pull if someone breaks away. We have seen those happen without even a yellow shown.

Don't disagree with your view in principle, but chances are if either player understood a red card would have happened they wouldn't have done it.

Plus where do you draw the line? How far advanced should play be for it to be a red? 

To be honest I'd rather see them stamp out time wasting before they looked at something like this.

6 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

If they stamp this out they also have to stamp out that irritating obstruction of a player trying to get to the ball before it goes over the by line. It’s preventing an opponent getting to the ball either way 

And players claiming for a throw in or corner they blatantly know isn't theirs.

All cheating really.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Red card. It was very entertaining for us but pretty disgraceful if you’re them. 

Don't be stupid. It would only ever be a red card if it was Chris Martin.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It does seem like "vile" is their basic catch all word for anything and everything. Perhaps they've been learning it all week to try to put into sentences.

It’s an easy word for them to remember, always thinking of Villa being in their shadow, just substitute the “la”with an “e”and you get “vile”. 

As for Russell’s tackle, funny for us but I’d be enraged as blue nose. Not a red though, neither dangerous or on goal so yellow was all that could be applied. Simple as, even knuckle dragging brummies should recognise that.

By the way, it’s a truly awful ground, even if it’s one of the old stadiums, the only good thing about Small Heath is fairly easy to escape on the main roads compared to most away grounds, something I should imagine the locals are glad about. 

33 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

No different to a shirt pull if someone breaks away. We have seen those happen without even a yellow shown.

Don't disagree with your view in principle, but chances are if either player understood a red card would have happened they wouldn't have done it.

Plus where do you draw the line? How far advanced should play be for it to be a red? 

To be honest I'd rather see them stamp out time wasting before they looked at something like this.

If you deliberately take a player out with no attempt to play the ball it should be a red anywhere on the pitch.

I know that's not the law now but it's something I would bring in or we'll start seeing more rugby tackles and that's not what I want to see. Though Johnny's was quite funny, as was Boris's earlier attempt:

Archived