Russell’s tackle on Maghoma

Kernow

I saw a thread on SHA (link below) about the tackle JR did yesterday which was pretty much a rugby tackle as Maghoma was breaking. 

What were your thoughts on the tackle? Other than the goals, it was what got the biggest applause from me yesterday. He took a yellow for the sake of the team. We were 2-0 up and he couldn’t risk them getting one back. In my opinion I thought it was an extremely clever piece of play by Russell, perfect example of taking one for the team.

If it were the other way round though, I’d be furious. In the current rules, it’s a yellow, but good points are made that is a yellow really harsh enough for that kind of challenge? It’s not worth a red, but a yellow is no punishment at all compared to the play itself.

https://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,2403607

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, tripping him or to be 'safer' hacking him down (which is what a normal player would do) is far more dangerous than what JR did.

That's never a red card. It's a yellow and he knew it. 

No-one would be saying anything about it if he'd just tripped him, but it would have been a more dangerous tackle if he had.

I laughed really hard when i saw it. Totally cynical and always a yellow.

To be honest, it's advanced grade shirt pulling. if he'd just grabbed his shirt hard enough to stop him it'd be an uncontroversial (if blatantly cynical) yellow. It looks to me that Maghoma was just too strong but he didn't want to give it up. It's more just embarrassing for Russell than anything, no way it was dangerous enough to be a red. If, he had tried to put in a proper rugby tackle it'd look a lot different and could be constituted a red for serious foul play perhaps.

Obviously if someone had done that to one of ours, i'd be apoplectic with rage.

As you say the other way round i'd be furious, and it happens all the time, this looked worse as he they ended up on the ground, really no different to a shirt pull as your on the attack which we have seen numerous times this season for and against us.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I laughed really hard when i saw it. Totally cynical and always a yellow.

To be honest, it's advanced grade shirt pulling. if he'd just grabbed his shirt hard enough to stop him it'd be an uncontroversial (if blatantly cynical) yellow. It looks to me that Maghoma was just too strong but he didn't want to give it up. It's more just embarrassing for Russell than anything, no way it was dangerous enough to be a red. If, he had tried to put in a proper rugby tackle it'd look a lot different and could be constituted a red for serious foul play perhaps.

Maghoma had on multiple occasions ridden cynical trips and shirt pulls throughout the game. I think that's why Russell went to the lengths he did.

Got half way down and had to pack it in, whiniest bunch of fans I've ever heard. Oh this elbow, that stud rake... 

simple-baby-crying-meme-crying-baby-meme

As for Russell's rugby tackle, very cynical but a professional foul which is a yellow according to the laws of the game? Until they're changed there's no point crying about it like they are. What a precious set of adults. 

It’s never more than a yellow on current laws, calls for a red are embarrassing.

But if I try to look at that tackle as a neutral, I’m not sure a yellow is sufficient personally. A sin bin like suggested on their forum for professional fouls sounds more reasonable.

I’d have done the same if I were Russell. 

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

It does seem like "vile" is their basic catch all word for anything and everything. Perhaps they've been learning it all week to try to put into sentences.

They think they are saying villa, they just dont know how to spell.

The laws of the game say it's a yellow. Very like Leroy Fer's for Swansea a few days ago, when I applauded the ref for pulling out a red card. Haven't read the SHA forum but I think challenges such as this should be a red because they are a deliberate attempt to take a player out and stop the play, without even any pretence of trying to win the ball.

I also appplaud Johnny for doing it and preventing a potentially dangerous buildup, but if this is allowed to go on without red cards, we might as well start rugby tackling players every game. We used the laws of the game to our advantage here, but the laws of the game should be changed.

Archived