Series you just can't get into.... convert us...

Chester40

21 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I dont see why Series 2 couldn't just be a totally different group. Someone in another town who heard/read about what Hannah did...and having experienced similar traumas decides to replicate it.

Particularly if it were a young lad and showed how his angst's are different but similar to her's .. 

That would actually be a cool idea, I'd like that. But they announced they're continuing with Hannah Baker, and they have re-signed all the actors from the first season.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I dont see why Series 2 couldn't just be a totally different group. Someone in another town who heard/read about what Hannah did...and having experienced similar traumas decides to replicate it.

Particularly if it were a young lad and showed how his angst's are different but similar to her's .. 

did nobody notice the lad? The one who takes photos?

• 3 months later...
On 31/01/2018 at 17:48, Andicis said:

That would actually be a cool idea, I'd like that. But they announced they're continuing with Hannah Baker, and they have re-signed all the actors from the first season.

Well, they're definitely using the same actors. Trailer has come out for season 2, and release date is this month.

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

Well, they're definitely using the same actors. Trailer has come out for season 2, and release date is this month.

there was a bit at the end (of s1) where the gay/eccentric photographer lad disappears if I recall. Maybe the story swings to him

As a nerdy type who lived through and worked in IT for 40 years, I thought that 'Halt and Catch Fire' was a very good watch. Yes, it really was 'seat of the pants' stuff then, with both software and hardware piracy rife (I can hold my hand up and safely say that not everything I did was strictly 'legal', especially where the development of hard-wired interfaces was concerned).

7 hours ago, Moist One said:

there was a bit at the end (of s1) where the gay/eccentric photographer lad disappears if I recall. Maybe the story swings to him

I think you're right, it would make most sense if it started to focus on him, he was packing up guns wasn't he? 

On 11/01/2018 at 16:11, Chester40 said:

What series have you tried really hard to watch - having heard from reliable sources they are 'the dogs', but can't? You really want to like it, but it's just not clicked and an episode or two in you've just given up..you're thinking of trying again but you just don't have it in you....yet...can you be convinced...??

For me-

Breaking Bad, saw three episodes, just a bit silly and not gripping.

Peaky Blinders, it's so, 'so-so'...2 episodes in and can't help thinking it's for people who haven't got Sky...so think Mrs Brown's Boys is the funniest thing on earth.

Holy crap as soon as I saw the headline I said to myself 'Breaking Bad' and 'Peaky Blinders'. How spooky is that?

I went 6-months between watching the first couple of BB and then trying again. It took about 5 episodes before I really got into it, from then it was brilliant.

I must have gone 2 years between the first couple of PB and then deciding to give it a proper chance. Again it took at least 3 or 4 before I was hooked.

Both are fantastic and it was great having 4 seasons of PB to go at once I got into it.

On 02/05/2018 at 15:14, Angry Ram said:

Trying to get into The Bridge a series currently on BBC iPlayer. Danish/Swedish subtitled thing that so many people have said is great.. 2 in and struggling.. Someone tell me it is worth the effort.

I gave up on that after about 2 episodes and I love Scandinavian noir series. Maybe I should have persevered, it is highly thought of, but I found the female lead character ( i forget her name) a bit annoying to be honest. 

Ironically I really enjoyed 'The Tunnel' which is a French/English version based on the same plot (in Series 1 anyway). Both lead characters were excellently written and acted.

51 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I gave up on that after about 2 episodes and I love Scandinavian noir series. Maybe I should have persevered, it is highly thought of, but I found the female lead character ( i forget her name) a bit annoying to be honest. 

Ironically I really enjoyed 'The Tunnel' which is a French/English version based on the same plot (in Series 1 anyway). Both lead characters were excellently written and acted.

Sorry unrelated but you might be able to help me... saw a Scandinavian type film/programme a while ago where a young lad runs away, climbs a tower of some sort and slips, a coming of age sort of film. I know it sounds dark but really enjoyed it, don't suppose you know it? 

20 hours ago, PrivateDerby said:

Sorry unrelated but you might be able to help me... saw a Scandinavian type film/programme a while ago where a young lad runs away, climbs a tower of some sort and slips, a coming of age sort of film. I know it sounds dark but really enjoyed it, don't suppose you know it? 

Sorry can't help you, I'm not familiar with that one at all.  It's not Forbydelsen, Wallander, Arne Dahl, Borderliner, Bordertown, Borgen or Midnight Sun though.  I haven't seen too many of their movies to be honest, mostly just TV series.  I'd still rank Forbydelsen as probably the best TV show I've ever seen, particularly seasons 1 and 3. 

The Woman in White was a brilliant series.

The book is incredible and I would recommend it to anyone.

The series which has just ended was a good adaptation of the book and well worth catching on iPlayer.

I used to enjoy 'The Durrells' but the latest season got boring after about three episodes.

Line of duty takes some beating but I reckon 'Broadchurch' was over-hyped.

My tips are Godless and Damnation but I am very partial to historical dramas/series.

Just started watching "3%" on Netflix, watched 2 and a bit episodes and now abandoned...ropey acting, cliché script writing, comes across as very low budget...not sure if its aimed at teens or something, just way off.

Can't remember where I got to in "Better Call Saul" but I was bored stiff watching most of it and no desire to pick up whereever I left off. I kept watching based on the postive reviews and having quite liked Breaking Bad.

I started watching " The Expanse", somehow made it to 9 episodes, absolute garbage with ropey acting to boot. Almost watched to 9 out of intrigue as to how bad it could get.

I like GOT, Westworld and Designated Survivor (albeit the latter is getting a bit tiring).

Narcos good until Escobar died and then no interest, as per everyone else on this thread too by the sounds of it!

House of Cards...couldn't get into it, abandoned part way through, had no investment in any of the characters (good or bad)

Walking Dead...can't stand it anymore but watch it anyway as I've invested too much time in to not seeing Negan dead at least.

Pretty much rinsed Netflix dry with the above of everything I am interested in so nothing much to watch apart from the odd new episode of the ones I still like.

The Alienist is a potential I could get into, watched 10 mins and not gone back as yet. It takes a lot for me to commit to a first episode but then I usually persist for quite a few if I break the seal.

I have just come out of the other side of a serious Dexter habit. Any spare minutes were taken up with it and most of the rest of the day was spent trying to get things done so I could get my next fix.

I have started on The Blacklist now....heard very good reports...

I tend to have shows on a lot of the time on one of my monitors, paying varying degrees of attention depending on how into it I am - so I very rarely can't get through a show. I end up watching it all and then thinking "that wasn't very good", my brother drummed into me when I was growing up to only make a judgement having watched it all. 

I find something I enjoy in most shows that have been recommended to me.

The Walking Dead though, I couldn't even get through one season of. Don't know why but it was just awful. As far as I'm aware its gone downhill too.

I think it was Mostyn who posted recently that he likes a good Stephen King yarn - well, so do I, and with that in mind I dug around on Amazon Prime and found a series called 'Under The Dome' which is based upon one of his novels and either produced or directed by Stephen Spielberg. Actually, there are 3 series and I believe that there were plans to make a fourth at one time.

I watched the first couple of episodes, then left it alone for a couple of nights. I thought that it was ok on reflection, but now suddenly I can't get enough of it and am binge-watching it to the tune of 4 or 5 episodes a night. You might think that I'm now suggesting that it is good, but really it is absolute mind-melting tripe with utterly preposterous storylines within the continuing theme (of a population being isolated from the outside world).

Each episode I ask myself "Can this get any worse than the previous one?" and invariably the answer comes as a resounding "You bet".

On 07/05/2018 at 18:40, Highgate said:

Speaking of all things Nordic, Lilyhammer was excellent and Steven Van Zandt superb as an ex-mob boss hiding away from nasty men wanting to kill him. Some very dark humor and some flat out hysterical stuff.

27 minutes ago, eddie said:

I think it was Mostyn who posted recently that he likes a good Stephen King yarn - well, so do I, and with that in mind I dug around on Amazon Prime and found a series called 'Under The Dome' which is based upon one of his novels and either produced or directed by Stephen Spielberg. Actually, there are 3 series and I believe that there were plans to make a fourth at one time.

I watched the first couple of episodes, then left it alone for a couple of nights. I thought that it was ok on reflection, but now suddenly I can't get enough of it and am binge-watching it to the tune of 4 or 5 episodes a night. You might think that I'm now suggesting that it is good, but really it is absolute mind-melting tripe with utterly preposterous storylines within the continuing theme (of a population being isolated from the outside world).

Each episode I ask myself "Can this get any worse than the previous one?" and invariably the answer comes as a resounding "You bet".

I watched the first season when they had it on national tv over here. Agree with everything you say, but haven’t got round to catching up on it yet (just to confirm that it really does keep exceeding itself for crapness)

20 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

My tips are Godless and Damnation but I am very partial to historical dramas/series.

Just started watching "3%" on Netflix, watched 2 and a bit episodes and now abandoned...ropey acting, cliché script writing, comes across as very low budget...not sure if its aimed at teens or something, just way off.

Can't remember where I got to in "Better Call Saul" but I was bored stiff watching most of it and no desire to pick up whereever I left off. I kept watching based on the postive reviews and having quite liked Breaking Bad.

I started watching " The Expanse", somehow made it to 9 episodes, absolute garbage with ropey acting to boot. Almost watched to 9 out of intrigue as to how bad it could get.

I like GOT, Westworld and Designated Survivor (albeit the latter is getting a bit tiring).

Narcos good until Escobar died and then no interest, as per everyone else on this thread too by the sounds of it!

House of Cards...couldn't get into it, abandoned part way through, had no investment in any of the characters (good or bad)

Walking Dead...can't stand it anymore but watch it anyway as I've invested too much time in to not seeing Negan dead at least.

Pretty much rinsed Netflix dry with the above of everything I am interested in so nothing much to watch apart from the odd new episode of the ones I still like.

The Alienist is a potential I could get into, watched 10 mins and not gone back as yet. It takes a lot for me to commit to a first episode but then I usually persist for quite a few if I break the seal.

Yeah that dubbing really grates on 3%, why they didn't just subtitle the series god only knows, butch men with squeaky voices is very annoying, loved Godless and Damnation ?

3 hours ago, eddie said:

such a shame some King stuff fails so badly.

11.22.63 isn't too bad as a Boxset series, but probably only about 10% as enjoyable as the book.

tried to watch The Mist on Netflix, but was so hard to get into. Decent actors acting badly too. The script just doesn't translate. They really need to be better at adapting his work.

Archived