Series you just can't get into.... convert us...

Chester40

7 hours ago, mozza said:

Started watching 'The Orville' a bit 'Star Trekified' , fun tho.  

Agreed, mildly humourous and good story lines. Watched all the episodes, very good.

Also enjoyed Star Trek Discovery but then i like my Sci Fi

My son recommended Veep to me but i've only watched one episode which was OK. Any thoughts on that?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

My son recommended Veep to me but i've only watched one episode which was OK. Any thoughts on that?

Veep is pretty funny - or it was. I can't really watch it now since Trump. See today's news about it leaking that he called some countries s**tholes - that is literally a Veep storyline. Veep is a comedy. Veep is supposed to be exaggerated for comic effect. I don;t think it is any more

On 11/01/2018 at 22:39, GboroRam said:

Boardwalk empire. Couldn't be arsed. Can't really see the point of stuff set in that era. Dunno why.

did you watch any of it? It's a class act and easily in the top 5, maybe top 3 of all the boxset type dramas. It's part fact, part fiction, with actual characters from Prohibition. So clever and well made. Give it 5 episodes and you'll end up binge watching.

Mr Robot -  Forced myself to watch 2 seasons and instantly forgot it.

Narcos - Watched 2 seasons, wasn't as special as people made out, but watched anyway

The Mist -  I love a Stephen King adaptation, but 3 episodes in and this just feels badly hashed and poorly acted.

Game of Thrones - just doesn't appeal, so never watched a single minute of it.

10 minutes ago, Moist One said:

did you watch any of it? It's a class act and easily in the top 5, maybe top 3 of all the boxset type dramas. It's part fact, part fiction, with actual characters from Prohibition. So clever and well made. Give it 5 episodes and you'll end up binge watching.

I loved it but there were parts that drifted before exploding into life. Thought the final series was one of the best.

27 minutes ago, Moist One said:

I watched the first 3 series maybe...I so wanted to like it....but it just got slooooweerr and sloowwweerrrrrr. By the end I realised I was enduring it not enjoying it.

On 12/01/2018 at 08:11, Chester40 said:

What series have you tried really hard to watch - having heard from reliable sources they are 'the dogs', but can't? You really want to like it, but it's just not clicked and an episode or two in you've just given up..you're thinking of trying again but you just don't have it in you....yet...can you be convinced...??

For me-

Breaking Bad, saw three episodes, just a bit silly and not gripping.

Peaky Blinders, it's so, 'so-so'...2 episodes in and can't help thinking it's for people who haven't got Sky...so think Mrs Brown's Boys is the funniest thing on earth.

Breaking Bad came instantly to mind....I tried to like it but I just found it boring as hell. The Sopranos was the same for me.

I was going to add Game of Thrones, but it really doesn’t meet your criteria; I loathed it as plain silly from the first few moments I was forced to watch it.

The American House of Cards has also left me cold. I SHOULD like it - it has all the elements I usually would enjoy and I am an enormous fan of the British original - but I just couldn’t get into it. I suspect it is because (a) I do adore the original almost too much to accept the imitation; and (b) the American cast can carry off neither the understated malevolence, nor the wry humour, of the original cast.

3 hours ago, Moist One said:

Yet you say you haven't watched even a minute of Got?

I tend to watch the first 2 episodes and if it hasn't grabbed me by then it's binned.

I love GOT, but I can understand it's not for everybody. The last two seasons have been pushed quickly in order to get to the end-game, which is the only disappointment for me. First 4 seasons especially were brilliant, up until the aftermath of the Purple Wedding. Season 5 was only good north of the wall, with Hardhome being absoloutely fantastic.

The Walking Dead is terrible now. The first 2 seasons were good, then the quality dropped and now it's just rubbish.

Narcos, first two seasons were great. I can relate, and I speak Spanish so I didn't have to make do with subtitles. Great stuff. But I won't watch season 3. Doesn't interest me now the Escobar storyline is over.

Incidentally, I didn't get into any of the above until at least 3 seasons were done. I think it's best that way as you can just binge it. GOT for instance was 5 seasons old before I'd ever heard of it.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Yet you say you haven't watched even a minute of Got?

I tend to watch the first 2 episodes and if it hasn't grabbed me by then it's binned.

I tend to only want to watch things I know are finished. When I watched Boardwalk Empire, they hadn't commissioned S5, so was wounded when I got to the end only to discover there's more to wait for!

I generally binge watch the whole lot in one go.

With G of T, it sounds very complex and time consuming.

4 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

Breaking Bad came instantly to mind....I tried to like it but I just found it boring as hell. The Sopranos was the same for me.

I was going to add Game of Thrones, but it really doesn’t meet your criteria; I loathed it as plain silly from the first few moments I was forced to watch it.

The American House of Cards has also left me cold. I SHOULD like it - it has all the elements I usually would enjoy and I am an enormous fan of the British original - but I just couldn’t get into it. I suspect it is because (a) I do adore the original almost too much to accept the imitation; and (b) the American cast can carry off neither the understated malevolence, nor the wry humour, of the original cast.

One of the best shows made.

4 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

One of the best shows made.

I agree it was a quality show. I'm not bagging it; I just couldn't get interested in it. I've never quite understood why TBH; mob-type stuff has never really piqued my interest (I don't even like The Godfather...it's a fine film but it bores me silly.) The main actor didn't do much for me but it wasn't as if I disliked him; I could watch him and admire his craft but the character never interested me.

Perhaps it was simply that I loved The Wire - one of the few exceptions that appeal to me in the genre and it had me hooked from the start - and couldn't stomach another gangster show?

9 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

I agree it was a quality show. I'm not bagging it; I just couldn't get interested in it. I've never quite understood why TBH; mob-type stuff has never really piqued my interest (I don't even like The Godfather...it's a fine film but it bores me silly.) The main actor didn't do much for me but it wasn't as if I disliked him; I could watch him and admire his craft but the character never interested me.

Perhaps it was simply that I loved The Wire - one of the few exceptions that appeal to me in the genre and it had me hooked from the start - and couldn't stomach another gangster show?

Still need to watch The Wire myself.

Not seen The Godfather either.

I loved the Sopranos.

The whole point of Tony Soprano is that he is an 'everyman'. He has a nagging wife, kids who are demanding, 'work' is a pain, his mother is on his back....but he just happens to be a mob boss.

He's a normal bloke just doing his thing....and he is probably much closer to the real thing than most 'gangster portrayals. He is kinda likeable...but has to do terrible things. 

Have given up on TV, way too many commercials

No point watching the news either, nothing but lies

The only thing i watch is BBC coverage of the Championship games on Saturday evening and i'm sure i could find that elsewhere

Wall mounted 32 inch Phillips TV for sale, all bids will be considered

4 minutes ago, ramit said:

Have given up on TV, way too many commercials

No point watching the news either, nothing but lies

The only thing i watch is BBC coverage of the Championship games on Saturday evening and i'm sure i could find that elsewhere

Wall mounted 32 inch Phillips TV for sale, all bids will be considered

Like Channel 5?

21 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I love GOT, but I can understand it's not for everybody. The last two seasons have been pushed quickly in order to get to the end-game, which is the only disappointment for me. First 4 seasons especially were brilliant, up until the aftermath of the Purple Wedding. Season 5 was only good north of the wall, with Hardhome being absoloutely fantastic.

The Walking Dead is terrible now. The first 2 seasons were good, then the quality dropped and now it's just rubbish.

Narcos, first two seasons were great. I can relate, and I speak Spanish so I didn't have to make do with subtitles. Great stuff. But I won't watch season 3. Doesn't interest me now the Escobar storyline is over.

Incidentally, I didn't get into any of the above until at least 3 seasons were done. I think it's best that way as you can just binge it. GOT for instance was 5 seasons old before I'd ever heard of it.

Same for me on this one. Well, I watched the first two or three episodes of season 3 but it just wasn’t the same without Pablo Escobar.

Archived