Series you just can't get into.... convert us...

Chester40

What series have you tried really hard to watch - having heard from reliable sources they are 'the dogs', but can't? You really want to like it, but it's just not clicked and an episode or two in you've just given up..you're thinking of trying again but you just don't have it in you....yet...can you be convinced...??

For me-

Breaking Bad, saw three episodes, just a bit silly and not gripping.

Peaky Blinders, it's so, 'so-so'...2 episodes in and can't help thinking it's for people who haven't got Sky...so think Mrs Brown's Boys is the funniest thing on earth.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breaking Bad starts off well but then you have a few slow episodes until they start cooking again. By the final season it's pretty much always tense. But the first season episodes after the opener are the slowest of the entire show.

Peaky Blinders I thought was a bit ITV drama too. But I stuck with it and I found it much more like Boardwalk Empire that Agatha Christie murder mystery. But it does just make me want to watch Boardwalk 

Tried The Wire. Didn't like it. Went and told mates. Tried it again. Didn't like it. I really want to like it.

The Walking Dead has been the most challenging show. I'm up to date now but it's so up and down. You can have 3 episodes in a row that are great. Then you get half a season of people walking through woods on their own for no reason. The passage of time is awful. Game Of Thrones has been criticised for not really making clear how much time is passing but The Walking Dead is terrible.

It will end on a season and start the next one at the exact point the last one finished. Two episodes later and Rick's daughter is a year older. 

When it's good it's pretty good tv. When it's bad it's really rubbish. It's a battle to stick with it but the character Negan makes it worth catching up to. He's a screen hog

Oh, Strike Back, 12 monkeys, Zoo, Last Ship. Tried them and gave up.

Stuck with Blood Drive longer. And that's dodgy!

Game of Throne, made it to season 2 or 3 where the little guy had to bugger off on the boat. Really couldn't take anymore, without doubt the worst overhyped mess that has ever been on TV.

Lost, can't remember where I left that but it was before the ending which angered so many.

The Walking Dead, made it to the point after all the prison rubbish they hid in a train carriage or something, was a while ago, couldn't take anymore of that either.

Prison Break, now the first season of that was brilliant, loved it, then it nose dived and I gave up after season 2.

24, another I somehow made it to season 2 before realising I needed to wash my hair.

Homeland I'm struggling with now, season 4 and I think it's taken me about 6 months to watch 3 episodes.

The OA, now that was just weird, maybe 3/4 episodes it had out of me

Narcos, one season was enough, I just can't get into subtitles.

Bloodline, 2 episodes.

Fargo, maybe 5 episodes but in fairness I kinda liked it, just stopped for some reason and not got back into it, thats one I will return to.

23 minutes ago, David said:

Game of Throne, made it to season 2 or 3 where the little guy had to bugger off on the boat. Really couldn't take anymore, without doubt the worst overhyped mess that has ever been on TV.

Lost, can't remember where I left that but it was before the ending which angered so many.

The Walking Dead, made it to the point after all the prison rubbish they hid in a train carriage or something, was a while ago, couldn't take anymore of that either.

Prison Break, now the first season of that was brilliant, loved it, then it nose dived and I gave up after season 2.

24, another I somehow made it to season 2 before realising I needed to wash my hair.

Homeland I'm struggling with now, season 4 and I think it's taken me about 6 months to watch 3 episodes.

Bloodline, 2 episodes.

Fargo, maybe 5 episodes but in fairness I kinda liked it, just stopped for some reason and not got back into it, thats one I will return to.

All of this is why we aren't besties....I literally have no idea what you actually watch,but it must be horrific in view of the stuff you dont!

12s2Es7u6eFI64.gif

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

All of this is why we aren't besties....I literally have no idea what you actually watch,but it must be horrific in view of the stuff you dont!

We won't be besties because of that Chris Martin poster on the ceiling above your bed, puts me off coming round.

Breaking Bad and The Wire are the classics

Sons of Anarchy, Suits, Stranger Things, Mind Hunter, Ozark, Better Call Saul, 13 Reasons Why, recent off the top of my head I've finished/up to date with.

Stranger Things 2 was turd though, still watchable unlike the list I posted earlier.

Would definitely recommend another attempt at the Wire @Alpha. It took me about 2 years and several recommendations to get through series 1 and 2, and then about 2 weeks to get through the rest. Series 3 and 4 in particular are absolutely blinding, but need the build up that 1 and 2 provide.

Echo the OP's Peaky Blinders anti-hype train. Not bad by any stretch, but just meh for me. Haven't bothered going past the middle of the second series.

I watched 2 episodes of Rick and Morty and it's just not to my taste. Same with Family Guy and American Dad.

1 hour ago, David said:

Bloodline, 2 episodes.

Homeland got better after Brody left. Game of thrones is just not your genre I guess but it is mine. I don't really get much chance to watch much TV, so lost, 24 walking dead etc I never even started and don't intend to. Of those you say you like, I haven't seen any of those either, except for the wire which I liked.

13 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Homeland got better after Brody left. Game of thrones is just not your genre I guess but it is mine. I don't really get much chance to watch much TV, so lost, 24 walking dead etc I never even started and don't intend to. Of those you say you like, I haven't seen any of those either, except for the wire which I liked.

I agree with Homeland. After an amazing first series, 2 and 3 got worse. Then 4 and 5 were great.

2 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Impossible.

Afraid so, one day you will wake up, walk into the bathroom and notice hairs sprouting from your face, girls become more interesting, you fancy a pint maybe a fag and that's it, it's over, only cartoons that trigger childhood memories can hold your attention for 5 minutes. 

6 hours ago, David said:

We won't be besties because of that Chris Martin poster on the ceiling above your bed, puts me off coming round.

Breaking Bad and The Wire are the classics

Sons of Anarchy, Suits, Stranger Things, Mind Hunter, Ozark, Better Call Saul, 13 Reasons Why, recent off the top of my head I've finished/up to date with.

Stranger Things 2 was turd though, still watchable unlike the list I posted earlier.

You have a few decent ones there,granted..

And I told you,I'll put a bandana over Chrissie's eyes if you are bashful?

4 hours ago, mozza said:

Started watching 'The Orville' a bit 'Star Trekified' , fun tho.  

I really like it, funny but also some good star trek TNG type story lines. Actually prefer it to discovery.

GoT - awful, just awful. You're grown men. Stop thinking fairy stories about dragons and wizards are exciting

Breaking Bad - I agree it starts pretty slow, but well worth keeping on with. Great TV

Better Call Saul - I struggled with and gave up for a wlhile. So much slower than BB, and too much lawyering abiout and not enough drug dealing. Went back to it and season 3 gets considerably more exciting once Gus Frink turns up

Parks & Rec - eeryone said was the funniest US sitcom ever. Again, Season 1 was a bit boring but by Season 2 once the characters were fully formed it was consistently brilliant

Fargo - watched Season 1 and loved it, so went immediately onto Season 2 but couldn't deal with the change of pace, characters and setting so gave up after 1 episode. Just went back to it a year later and it's much better now. Binge watching is not always a good idea!

Archived