Car Insurance Accident Advice

RamBamThankYouMam

Hello all,

I had a bit of a bump in my car today. I was changing lanes in a roundabout, did all my checks, and as I was moving in, a car came out of nowhere and hit me. Their car has come out of it worse than me, but I don't think I should accept full responsibility. The accident wasn't wholly my fault as I did everything possible to move into the lane safely, and I feel the other driver should take *some* responsibility for driving too fast in the original lane in order to collide with me.

Where do I stand legally when the driver at fault is disputed? My friend in the passenger seat doesn't believe it was my fault either, but there's no proof anywhere for me to prove that the other driver was going too fast Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks Rams! 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Difficult to judge from what you have said so far .The rule of the road is give way to the right so which lane was you in and which lane did you try and move into nearside to off side etc .Also it was you changing lanes so your responsibility up to a point ,sorry can't be much more help from the info so far.

Also the speed may not be clear cut for instance the speed limit on the Jcn 25 M1 island is 60mph , as it is effectively a national speed limit dual carriageway,so this is important too.

Passengers are not classed as independent, also unless it can be proven speed can not be taken into account.

Was your collision side on or did they hit you in the rear?

I dont find it difficult if changing to middle lane .. one from the right and one from the left... the person changing from the left will be going faster than the person on the right, so you could risk a collision. Some people do weave in and out of lanes all the time and that only increases the risk.    

Hiya RamBam, if you could provide us with a few more details we might be able to advise better, ie, were you actually on the roundabout or approaching it ?

Is there the possibility that even though you checked your mirrors, the other car could have momentarily been in your blind spot ? 

Where exactly did the other vehicle hit yours ?

Just now, GboroRam said:

And have your premiums rocket, as you have to declare it when you renew. Depending on your age, that could really cost you.

You have to declare it anyway, regardless.

1 hour ago, RamBamThankYouMam said:

Hello all,

I had a bit of a bump in my car today. I was changing lanes in a roundabout, did all my checks, and as I was moving in, a car came out of nowhere and hit me. Their car has come out of it worse than me, but I don't think I should accept full responsibility. The accident wasn't wholly my fault as I did everything possible to move into the lane safely, and I feel the other driver should take *some* responsibility for driving too fast in the original lane in order to collide with me.

Where do I stand legally when the driver at fault is disputed? My friend in the passenger seat doesn't believe it was my fault either, but there's no proof anywhere for me to prove that the other driver was going too fast Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks Rams! 

This wasn’t bottom of Abbey Hill A38 was it? That island has been marked out terrible lane wise.  Maybe check the lane markings are clear, take pictures maybe?

4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

This wasn’t bottom of Abbey Hill A38 was it? That island has been marked out terrible lane wise.  Maybe check the lane markings are clear, take pictures maybe?

It is shocking, so easy to find yourself out of lane.

Amazing what a few crayfish can do.

I had a nob head change lanes in front of me in matlock today. Nearly chopped my wing off. Then tried to change back again when he got to the roundabout. Nearly chopped up someone else and got stuck in an imaginary central lane. I gave him the traditional long bow archers salute. He was squwalking and giving me the vees too because i hooted him.

stay off the roads muppet.

Ultimately its very annoying but it's what you pay your car insurance for.

You tell your insurance company what happened, why you think it's not your fault...and that's all you can do.

They will speak to the other person's insurance company and neither will want to pay cos once you go through official channels you can bet it will be expensive...every little scratch will need doing, they will need courtesy car etc. 

The key word here is that they hit you.  Regardless of you changing lane, they should be aware of the traffic, especially on a traffic island where road markings are, at best, not always clear.  It is down to them to explain how they ended up hitting you. 

Stick to the facts, you used your mirors, signalled, etc, and they HIT YOU, their fault.  Even if they come out with saying they have dash cam, it will still show them hitting you.

5 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

The key word here is that they hit you.  Regardless of you changing lane, they should be aware of the traffic, especially on a traffic island where road markings are, at best, not always clear.  It is down to them to explain how they ended up hitting you. 

Stick to the facts, you used your mirors, signalled, etc, and they HIT YOU, their fault.  Even if they come out with saying they have dash cam, it will still show them hitting you.

Good advice. 

Just don't get too stressed about it.  I was once in a queue at traffic lights. I pulled out to join another lane. A person two back in the queue had exactly same idea and did it very fast and drove into the side of me.

He claimed I pulled into his lane and my insurance company agreed (!). He then claimed whiplash!!!

So its out of your control...just tell the truth stressing the bits where you think it was the other driver's fault...then move on...it's life...they could have pushed you into a truck and killed you. You have insurance...it's a pain but that's what it's for. Peopke get burgled, have wallets pinched etc etc..life ain't always fair don't let it get you down!!

11 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Good advice. 

Just don't get too stressed about it.  I was once in a queue at traffic lights. I pulled out to join another lane. A person two back in the queue had exactly same idea and did it very fast and drove into the side of me.

He claimed I pulled into his lane and my insurance company agreed (!). He then claimed whiplash!!!

So its out of your control...just tell the truth stressing the bits where you think it was the other driver's fault...then move on...it's life...they could have pushed you into a truck and killed you. You have insurance...it's a pain but that's what it's for. Peopke get burgled, have wallets pinched etc etc..life ain't always fair don't let it get you down!!

Good advice, it’s too easy to get wound up with what you deem spurious personal injury claims. Let the insurance deal with it, my missus had a low speed shunt at a junction, no damage to ours, non apparent to theirs, get a claim for sprained wrist and loads of body repairs. Yeah right.

Only positive is as we aren’t claiming for any damage to ours, and we have protected no claims, we don’t pay anything or have any increase next year. (So they say)

Archived