Boring Sports

Day

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think how to judge how boring something is dependent on how much you watch it. I could totally see how someone who's watched football now and again could easily find themselves only watching ******* awful games.

I used to watch Cricket when I was younger and didn't find it boring at all but now I can't bear it.

I've watched maybe 2 games of Rugby in all my life and they can't have been good ones as my opinion of it isn't high despite the fact I like American Football, of which I've watched a lot.

I don't think any sport that has any ounce of popularity is always boring, it has to have a reason to be popular. 

I'll take a boring game of either football over a game of darts though. 

4 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

athletics is dull dull dull. sure the 100metres final is good (and impossible to get bored in 10 seconds) but there's a lot of crappy events

Have you been to a live athletics event? I go to the Olympic Stadium or Perry Barr for the National Champs every year. It is a great event.  

Can a sport being boring but enjoyable at the same time?

Example to stick out there is American Football, now for a long time I have bashed it for being boring, which I still do, but I've actually put some time into watching bits this past year.

@Srg bless him has been educating me on bits, and I really do appreciate the tactical side of the game but it's so stop start with commercial breaks, I guess it's my 4 year old attention span that struggles to really get sucked into it. 

Also it's cheesy, very cheesy. The theme tune sounds like that from The Gladiators what was on ITV, half expecting The Rock, Vin Diesel and Steven Segal at any point to come charging into the studio guns blazing.

Ponchos and oxygen is worse than Barcelona players rolling around the pitch and the way they list the fixtures away side first @ ugh, grates on me more than I should.

Anyway, whilst the game is actually being played it's quite entertaining, just find it hard to tolerate everything else that comes with it, hence the boring tag.

Doesn't help either when you hold no affection to any side, how can you thousands of miles across the pond, do you just pick a team that sounds cool or has a nice kit, or is it a chance to be a glory hunter as being a Derby fan we're unlikely to experience glory on that scale?

1 minute ago, David said:

Can a sport being boring but enjoyable at the same time?

Example to stick out there is American Football, now for a long time I have bashed it for being boring, which I still do, but I've actually put some time into watching bits this past year.

@Srg bless him has been educating me on bits, and I really do appreciate the tactical side of the game but it's so stop start with commercial breaks, I guess it's my 4 year old attention span that struggles to really get sucked into it. 

Also it's cheesy, very cheesy. The theme tune sounds like that from The Gladiators what was on ITV, half expecting The Rock, Vin Diesel and Steven Segal at any point to come charging into the studio guns blazing.

Ponchos and oxygen is worse than Barcelona players rolling around the pitch and the way they list the fixtures away side first @ ugh, grates on me more than I should.

Anyway, whilst the game is actually being played it's quite entertaining, just find it hard to tolerate everything else that comes with it, hence the boring tag.

Doesn't help either when you hold no affection to any side, how can you thousands of miles across the pond, do you just pick a team that sounds cool or has a nice kit, or is it a chance to be a glory hunter as being a Derby fan we're unlikely to experience glory on that scale?

A lot of the reasons people have for following a side are similar to those of foreigners who've started following Derby (we've had a few of those told on here).

For me, I befriended a group of lads from New Orleans a while back who I'm now really close to and they're all diehard Saints fans - so it was easy for me to get into following them. Also it helped immensely with getting into the sport that they were so enthusiastic about it.

Also I'm doing pretty well at turning them into Derby fans. A few of them can't get into football, but the fans more into sport in general have once they watched it enough. Plus they get every single premier league game over there, so once Derby get promoted they'll basically be a New Orleans supporters club.

18 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

A lot of the reasons people have for following a side are similar to those of foreigners who've started following Derby (we've had a few of those told on here).

For me, I befriended a group of lads from New Orleans a while back who I'm now really close to and they're all diehard Saints fans - so it was easy for me to get into following them. Also it helped immensely with getting into the sport that they were so enthusiastic about it.

Also I'm doing pretty well at turning them into Derby fans. A few of them can't get into football, but the fans more into sport in general have once they watched it enough. Plus they get every single premier league game over there, so once Derby get promoted they'll basically be a New Orleans supporters club.

I'm sure Scott likes the Ravens through The Wire being set in Baltimore, I would need more than that or a pen pal in the States to get seriously hooked on to a side. Derby was purely a location thing and being taken by my Dad, don't remember it being anything that because mates did it at school.

Not knocking people, each to their own, it is interesting how people landed on a team, think I'd have to move out there or something and pick a local side that grew over years, knowing my luck they'd relocate to the other side of the states 2 months in.

Archived