RamsTV - Half Season Review with Rowett

David
Message added by David

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, OwenB87 said:

Before everyone starts asking about Stoke etc, this was recorded late last week.

And you didn't foresee Stoke losing to Coventry, Hughes getting sacked, media reporting Rowett is a leading candidate and thousands of Derby fans having flashbacks of McClaren and Newcastle? I thought you were supposed to be in the know! 

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

I'm looking forward to the end of season review with Gary Rowett, who will be sat there with a big silver medal around his neck.

Why what will Stoke have won?

2 hours ago, OwenB87 said:

Before everyone starts asking about Stoke etc, this was recorded late last week.

Why was it not pre-emptivly dismissed?!

Until I hear him categorically rule out all 20 PL jobs and the top 12 championship jobs I'm going to sit online hitting refresh in the belief that my dreams will be crushed any second...

The "break" halfway through is a bit unnecessary for something thats 30min long in total. 

Really interesting watch though. The way GR talks just breeds confidence in him and the squad.

Interesting. 

Particularly the fact that he saw the forest game as a must win game and was mindful of the past history of sackings.

As a fan that struggles to remember the finer details of a game more than a week old, was nice to see Rowett has the similar memory span albeit not as short as mine! 

Enjoy listening to Rowett, doesn't feel like you are being fed ******** which I'm sure not everyone would agree with, but if you watch the interview he does discuss one of those areas that some feel he has, the age of the squad.

Openly admits he is aware that age is a concern, but when you have two players A being the younger, B the older but offers more and has the right character for a lot less money, Curtis Davies being the example, you go for B and it's hard to argue against that given his recent form. 

You can see also why players appear to enjoy playing for him, allows everyone to have a voice in the dressing room, even goes on to say that it's been easier as the players are already discussing what they need to improve on before he's had a chance to get in there, shows they are all on board with the direction he is taking us.....from a bunch of players that were rumoured to be hard to work with. Funny that. 

30 minutes, worth a watch.

It was a good watch, it kind of explains why we were perhaps slow to start and have done well when we found our feet. Nearly all of the players will not have played in a system like this for a long time, so it must've taken some convincing that we could get as good, if not better results with the system Gary wanted. Now they've seen it can be effective in "any game, not just certain games" as Gary puts it, they've all bought in to it and are seeing their rewards.

OB also makes a good point about us "winning the key moments" in games. Highlights from the Boro game were shown as this was discussed, Carson's save then us scoring less than a minute later. Some on here have attributed this to luck but this has happened on various occasions this season, and although we have been fortunate here and there, the players are working harder as a unit so the success in that respect cannot just be placed down to luck.

39 minutes ago, David said:

As a fan that struggles to remember the finer details of a game more than a week old, was nice to see Rowett has the similar memory span albeit not as short as mine! 

Enjoy listening to Rowett, doesn't feel like you are being fed ******** which I'm sure not everyone would agree with, but if you watch the interview he does discuss one of those areas that some feel he has, the age of the squad.

Openly admits he is aware that age is a concern, but when you have two players A being the younger, B the older but offers more for a lot less money, Curtis Davies being the example, you go for B and it's hard to argue against that given his recent form. 

You can see also why players appear to enjoy playing for him, allows everyone to have a voice in the dressing room, even goes on to say that it's been easier as the players are already discussing what they need to improve on before he's had a chance to get in there, shows they are all on board with the direction he is taking us.....from a bunch of players that were rumoured to be hard to work with. Funny that. 

30 minutes, worth a watch.

Something I was critical of Rowett of in the summer was the disparity it what he said he wanted in the summer transfer window and what he actually bought. However this interview helps explain a lot what happened. 

Whilst I've seen it alluded to and suggested, here Rowett confirms that the summer window had to be run at profit. This explains why he moved on  (and undersold) Ince and Huges to get the head room to maneouvour and ensure the club could be 'up' on transfer fees at the end of the summer. It also feeds into what Rowett says about signing older players; he has a big pressure to keep transfer fees low and by buying players who are a little older he can get in the type of player he needed for bargain bin prices in the case of Davies/Huddlestone. Also I think there is a case of him being surprised at how much it would cost to buy players with potential (listening to how he refers to Lawrence's fee).

What's also interesting is listening to how the plan has changed a bit from this window. From what I can gather from this interview (and I may be reading too much into things) I think the plan originally was to sell a few of the excess squad players off (presumably the likes of Anya and Shackell) and then promote youth more prominent. However now we are sat in 2nd the remit has changed. I think the plan now is to still sell off a few squad players but look to bring in established players as well with the view of securing promotion. Youth players will now be sent on loan to get football. 

I'm not suggesting the plan is to go silly but I think we will look to move on 3-4 and bring in 1-2 for the first team.

11 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Something I was critical of Rowett of in the summer was the disparity it what he said he wanted in the summer transfer window and what he actually bought. However this interview helps explain a lot what happened. 

Whilst I've seen it alluded to and suggested, here Rowett confirms that the summer window had to be run at profit. This explains why he moved on  (and undersold) Ince and Huges to get the head room to maneouvour and ensure the club could be 'up' on transfer fees at the end of the summer. It also feeds into what Rowett says about signing older players; he has a big pressure to keep transfer fees low and by buying players who are a little older he can get in the type of player he needed for bargain bin prices in the case of Davies/Huddlestone. Also I think there is a case of him being surprised at how much it would cost to buy players with potential (listening to how he refers to Lawrence's fee).

What's also interesting is listening to how the plan has changed a bit from this window. From what I can gather from this interview (and I may be reading too much into things) I think the plan originally was to sell a few of the excess squad players off (presumably the likes of Anya and Shackell) and then promote youth more prominent. However now we are sat in 2nd the remit has changed. I think the plan now is to still sell off a few squad players but look to bring in established players as well with the view of securing promotion. Youth players will now be sent on loan to get football. 

I'm not suggesting the plan is to go silly but I think we will look to move on 3-4 and bring in 1-2 for the first team.

You know when you say to the missus I'm off out tonight, only having a couple I'll be home by 10pm knowing full well you will be slumped against the kebab shop wall covered in chilli sauce at 2am, I don't feel like Rowett is doing this to us.

Rowett made no secret at the time some of the numbers clubs were looking for we simply wouldn't pay. I'd like to say it was fairly obvious the summer didn't go as we may have liked long before the Keith deal went Pete Tong, found it strange at the time these interviews wasn't being picked up on but held to words weeks prior.

I doubt any club gets through a perfect window landing all number 1 targets, keeping hold of players they want to, managers shortlists would make a fascinating book after they retire. 

There is no script in football, you can't layout a flawless plan for the season ahead and stick to it word for word, fitness, injuries, interest, happiness, unhappiness, form, interest, valuations, babies, family and paperwork ahem...so many issues can send you off course and you have to be prepared to take a different route as we did with Ledley for example, luck or not so far it's worked out rather well, just got to be prepared to move on quickly and not hang around waiting on players that may never happen.

Looking back now, the summer window despite the loss of Hughes and Ince is one of the better ones we have had for a while.

Good interview, and good to see his focus on personal relations and player attitudes. It shows he has an understanding of how to motivate, given the size of the squad, and can therefore focus on picking the best starting eleven without creating the ‘unrest’ which some love to talk about.

I also thought he was refreshingly open about perceived problems in the past, with player power supposedly behind our multiple sackings. It goes to show that the buck stops with the manager if they can’t get the players to buy in to what they are trying to achieve. 

21 hours ago, OwenB87 said:

image.thumb.png.0cd003bbd4b40a8f34b267bdb1e9d06e.png

Ohhhh...bad omen. The word "by" (ie bye, good bye) is clearly visible in the background, very much in the spirit of the Abbey Road album cover. I clearly expect GR will be a Potter by Sunday. :mellow:

12 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Good interview, and good to see his focus on personal relations and player attitudes. It shows he has an understanding of how to motivate, given the size of the squad, and can therefore focus on picking the best starting eleven without creating the ‘unrest’ which some love to talk about.

I also thought he was refreshingly open about perceived problems in the past, with player power supposedly behind our multiple sackings. It goes to show that the buck stops with the manager if they can’t get the players to buy in to what they are trying to achieve. 

He was onto a winner once he leveraged the superb facilities by organising and structuring all that back office stuff.

There's a follow up interview to this that talks further about the players and how GR likes to have strong characters.

The last line of it strikes me as an interesting counter to the general perception of this squad:

“They’ve probably been the easiest group to deal with in my managerial career to be fair.”

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/01/in-depth-open-rowett-happy-to-empower-his-players?platform=hootsuite

Archived