Starting an internet business - advice needed.

Rev

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah good luck @reveldevil!

Another thing, if your margin can handle it - find businesses and websites that already have all this in place and already have the customers - and offer the product to them. Much easier If you can make it work. They'll usually want a 50% margin if they're buying wholesale - or 30% if you're drop shipping.

10 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

So you should sign up for free listings on any directory you can find on yell.com, yelp, scoot, and of course google my business. Don’t get tempted to pay for any premium stuff.

Oh this this this!

You will receive emails, calls from companies that claim to have analysed your site which is performing poorly in Google, for a monthly or one off fee they will guarantee you number one spot in Google.

Do not ever ever ever pay anyone to be ranked in Google, don't buy links, fake followers on social media accounts, reviews nothing. 

You may as well help a Nigerian collect his lottery winnings by sending him cash.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Oh this this this!

You will receive emails, calls from companies that claim to have analysed your site which is performing poorly in Google, for a monthly or one off fee they will guarantee you number one spot in Google.

Do not ever ever ever pay anyone to be ranked in Google, don't buy links, fake followers on social media accounts, reviews nothing. 

You may as well help a Nigerian collect his lottery winnings by sending him cash.

I’ve never met anyone whose actually ever looked at scoot. But google do. But in my younger and more naive days, when I pretty much bought any marketing anyone was trying to sell me, cos how could it not work (the only thing I didn’t spend significant amounts of money on was Adwords, idiot), I bought a years worth of premium listing from scoot. Total waste of money. 

10 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Good luck @reveldevil mate.

Out of interest, and only if you're able/willing to disclose, what sort of things are you looking at selling? Obviously no worries if you'd rather not say. PMs are also open.

Bakeware. 

A good friend of mine has undertaken a similar venture. To support himself early on he sold via Amazon which gave him some regular cash to help him through the early months which can be tight for any new business. As his site picked up more business he transitioned away from it, but it got him going.

Not sure how relevant that is to you but it popped in to my head reading this!

30 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

A good friend of mine has undertaken a similar venture. To support himself early on he sold via Amazon which gave him some regular cash to help him through the early months which can be tight for any new business. As his site picked up more business he transitioned away from it, but it got him going.

Not sure how relevant that is to you but it popped in to my head reading this!

Will probably start a similar way and hopefully scale up in time.

Hey revel, why you not answering your emails?

Anyway I got that stock for your online store. I couldn't get 'Naughty teen babysitters 4'. Apparently there's been an age verification issue. 

Cheers mate. Take care

• 6 months later...
13 hours ago, bx3 said:

Is it working?

Pretty much stalled atm. 

The main problem is postage, the items I can manufacture cost 39p, 43p and £2.30 against the leading competitors price of £8, £15 and £30 retail.

That's including packaging. 

The problem is you can buy similar on Amazon, obviously nowhere near the same quality delivered for less than the postage alone would cost me!

I still am keen to develop the idea further, but at the time the wife's job looked shaky, but she's since took a very decent pay rise to stay in her current role, so it's on the back burner for now.

58 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Pretty much stalled atm. 

The main problem is postage, the items I can manufacture cost 39p, 43p and £2.30 against the leading competitors price of £8, £15 and £30 retail.

The problem is you can buy similar on Amazon, obviously nowhere near the same quality delivered for less than the postage alone would cost me!

I still am keen to develop the idea further, but at the time the wife's job looked shaky, but she's since took a very decent pay rise to stay in her current role, so it's on the back burner for now.

I’ve had a similar issue with the thing I’m doing. 

Working with amazon turned into a bit of a nightmare. Takes forever to get things approved, then if you want to make any changes it takes forever again, and don’t even ask about variables. It’s all done with sending them spreadsheets, and everything’s got to be filled out in just the right way. 

With that obsticle out of the way, it then comes down to marketing. I’m pretty good at google ads, but the amazon advertising platform is incredibly unintuitive, as far as I can tell. 

Weve made some sales on it, but after paying for amazon ads, it’s barely breaking even. 

The advatage of being on amazon is that they sort out postage. So if someone’s on prime and gets free postage, that’s amazons problem. 

Or is it? Well no, not really, cos you’ve still got to post it to the amazon shipping centre. So unless your selling tons everyday, and can therefore send bulk amounts to amazon, you’ll be finding yourself having to send 1 to their southern depot, and 1 to their northern depot etc. So you end up spending loads on p&p, even though they repackage and deliver anyway. (If you del enough, they’ll order a bunch of stock, rather than asking for it to be delivered piecemeal, so maybe this is just birthing pains).

And we’ve had a few issues where products have turned up in a poo state, or the wrong variant has been sent from amazon, even though we sent the right one. So then our products get bad reviews, and we can’t respond or lay the blame on amazon. 

And you can’t just pick up the phone and talk to amazon about it, you have to raise a support ticket. 

Anyway, I said to my mate, this’ll all be so much quicker and easier if I just make you an ecommerce site based on WordPress and woocommerce, then link it to a google shopping campaign. 

Whih is what I’ve spent to the past couple of weeks doing, and the google ads should be going live in the next couple of days. 

Still got he issue of p&p though. 

Were using DPD at a flat rate of £4.50 for up to 5kg (and £5 for up to 15kg). So we’re charging £4.50 for p&p or free for any order over £40. 

The problem is, the items we sell are either £8 or £16. So I’m not sure if people will be happy spending an extra £4.50 on an £8 purchase. But if people are buying 2 or 3, then it won’t matter. 

Only way to find out now is to launch it and see what happens. 

Tge advatage of you’re own website is that you can make changes in categories and structure, and see the results instantly. Linked with google ads, I can experiment with different key words and find out which ones work best through conversion tracking. So once we’ve sorted everything out, and know it all works, we can then go back to amazon, and theoretically just dump the whole inventory csv file on them. 

That turned into a bit of a rant, but hopefully it’ll be useful if you ever move your project back on the front burner. 

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Pretty much stalled atm. 

Why is postage the problem. I see it's bakeware. Are they particularly large, heavy items?

Archived