U23s away at Sunderland

sage

Started  about 15 mins late. Our side is...

Barnes

Boyle Wassall Shackell Karic

Thomas Stabana Boyle Anya

Bent Walker 

We are the better team so far. Thomas is a real handful. Anya is the worst crosser of the many Derby wingers I've seen over the years.

No Vernam Bird or Guy playing or on the Ben. I wonder if Vernam and/or Guy are going out on loan.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, sage said:

Started  about 15 mins late. Our side is...

Barnes

Boyle Wassall Shackell Karic

Thomas Stabana Boyle Anya

Bent Walker 

We are the better team so far. Thomas is a real handful. Anya is the worst crosser of the many Derby wingers I've seen over the years.

No Vernam Bird or Guy playing or on the Ben. I wonder if Vernam and/or Guy are going out on loan.

I assume you mean Babos in the middle with Stabana, and Bogle RB

26 minutes ago, sage said:

1-0 down. Terrible error by Mitchell. Completely against the run of play. 

Given his (lack of) stature I feel Mitchell has to be massively better in terms of technique than any other keeper to justify his opportunity, and I've never seen it. For those not watching he had control of the ball at his feet in his box and was intending to kick upfield but totally missed the ball. Like an air shot at golf. I don't think the ball was even moving. It was the sort of error a kid at infant school might make. A Sunderland player ran through and put it in. We had dominated the first half hour without any danger, but down to this moment their tails are up and the game is much more even, with us behind. I would be so much more confident if Roos was on the bench for the next league game.

Up front, we've got into countless good positions but the final ball (normally from out wide) has often been poor.

HT 1-0 down.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Given his (lack of) stature I feel Mitchell has to be massively better in terms of technique than any other keeper to justify his opportunity, and I've never seen it. For those not watching he had control of the ball at his feet in his box and was intending to kick upfield but totally missed the ball. Like an air shot at golf. I don't think the ball was even moving. It was the sort of error a kid at infant school might make. A Sunderand player ran through and put it in. We had dominated the first half hour without any danger, but down to this moment their tails are up and the game is much more even, with us behind. I would be so much more confident if Roos was on the bench for the next league game.

Up front, we've got into countless good positions but the final ball (normally from out wide) has often been poor.

HT 1-0 down.

Well that has saved me post. Almost word for word my view.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Not defending Mitchell because that's been really poor but he has spent over five months sitting on the bench with very little game time. How can he be match sharp? Must surely apply to goalkeepers as well as outfield players.

I was pleased to see Mitchell starting today as he obviously needs some games.

Professional football can be a ruthless business and we are going for promotion to the £100m a year Premier League, so I would put Roos on the bench at the weekend, who has had a good recent spell of games in League One. After today, Mitchell would be a bag of nerves if Carson had to go off injured or was sent off.

I'm sure that would demoralize Mitchell, and I would feel bad for him, but the overall future of the club has to take priority. Plus it's a bad message for the U23s if playing poorly still gets you a place on the first team bench.

38 minutes ago, angieram said:

Especially that Darren Bent. 

You could have watched the entire match and not realized Benty was on the pitch. I'm hoping he can return to Sunderland for only a couple of million to be their supposed saviour for the second half of the season. Come on Chris Coleman...

16 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

You could have watched the entire match and not realized Benty was on the pitch. I'm hoping he can return to Sunderland for only a couple of million to be their supposed saviour for the second half of the season. Come on Chris Coleman...

A couple of million what? Washers??

Archived