Gary Rowett “under consideration” for Stoke job

Nuwtfly

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

It won’t get any better under Rowett. The standard of player may improve over time, and thus the effectiveness, but let’s not kid ourselves. Rowett has his style of football, and we will play it that way regardless.

We’re not as dull as say a Burnley or West Brom, but we’re much closer to that style than say Southampton who were genuinely entertaining under Adkins, Pochettino and Koeman or Swansea under Rodgers and Laudrup.

I hope we get to the PL under Rowett and he establishes us up there, but I can’t say I’m particularly excited for it. Even if he had us in the top half or doing a Burnley, I’d still be bored watching us.

I’d rather just watch us play decent football than so-called ‘succeed’ playing ‘Rowetball’. 

I’m no doubt in the minority, but even staying in the Championship playing the way we did under Burley and McClaren for me is far more entertaining than being a West Ham and finishing 13th in the PL every season under a manager like Moyes.

I fundamentally disagree with this. The football under Rowett already has got better. There were issues at Derby and Rowett is trying to address them and it's a process of hoped-for continuous improvement. So far this season it's been two steps forward, one step back, two steps forward again and so on.

For me Rowett is building a complete football team, not unlike Jim Smith's Derby.  They were good to watch. It's not gung-ho constant attack but it's sensible football - you defend well and attack well. We haven't half scored some lovely goals this season and it's brilliant that we go into the last ten minutes of a game leading by a single goal and don't expect to concede. You  can admire good defending as part of a complete footballing performance.

Some of the players have improved under Rowett. For instance, both Vydra and Carson are playing out of their skins. I've always rated Keogh but others say this is his best season. It's great to see players getting better and, in a process of evolution, they well gradually be replaced by better players and the football will gradually improve.

28 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Why are alarm bells ringing? Plenty of Stoke fans might want GR and have stuck a couple of quid on it, treetards on a wind up might chuck a few bob on just to bring down the price down in the hope Derby fans get upset, but it doesn't mean he's been approached or is interested in the job.

Derby would have come out by now and said he's not going anywhere if there wasn't something in it.

I'm sure the higher ups all remember the McLaren/Newcastle debacle.

1 minute ago, GeneralRam said:

Derby would have come out by now and said he's not going anywhere if there wasn't something in it.

I don't think Mel would risk upsetting GR by just making that statement without discussing it with him first and they would then probably wait for an official approach from Stoke before making the announcement.

11 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

At this point, there is nothing to say.

Stoke pretty obviously haven't even nailed down a shortlist yet. There certainly hasn't been an approach to Derby.

McClaren/Newcastle dragged on for months. We're nowhere near that debacle. 

2 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

Stoke pretty obviously haven't even nailed down a shortlist yet. There certainly hasn't been an approach to Derby.

Aaarrrggghhh

Time to panic. Official DCFC spokesman fails to rule out a Rowett departure. :whistle:

2 minutes ago, Ryan O'Meara said:

Well Nicholsons answers in the DT livechat atm are nothing new, nothing special and just repeated facts, e.g.:

Dazza1884 asks: Do you think if offered the Stoke City job, Gary Rowett will take it?

Again, that is hypothetical, it would be a surprise if Rowett left.

or

Craig Wadsworth asks: What are the odds on Gary Rowett staying at Derby?

Gary Rowett might be among the favourites for the Stoke job with some bookies, but I would say the odds of him staying at Derby are good.”

Wow. :p

Guess we'll just have to see and wait.

Another reason i don't think G R will go is after talking to many stoke fans they tell me that Mark Hughes had a number of players pushed on him ,players he did not want or ask for and i don't think G R would work under those conditions.

29 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

Yes but will he go after all it’s the Premier League.  

He would be gambling by turning it down  if he was offered the job. 

6 minutes ago, glyn1957 said:

Another reason i don't think G R will go is after talking to many stoke fans they tell me that Mark Hughes had a number of players pushed on him ,players he did not want or ask for and i don't think G R would work under those conditions.

Say for £1m a year, and a 3 year contract, l suspect Gary might be prepared to look at a few comings and goings with one eye closed.

There has been some total tripe posted in the preceding 31 pages, not that l have ready any of it.  Rowett will be at Derby tomorrow, unless of course he is not. 

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Say for £1m a year, and a 3 year contract, l suspect Gary might be prepared to look at a few comings and goings with one eye closed.

There has been some total tripe posted in the preceding 31 pages, not that l have ready any of it.  Rowett will be at Derby tomorrow, unless of course he is not. 

He might go on loan until the end of the season...

Archived