Scott Carson

Ibby

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Pickford and Butland scrapping for the England shirt surely? Third choice keeper at a tournament might as well be someone young to gain experience of a tournament setting because the chances of them getting on the pitch are almost zero.

I'd have thought the opposite to be honest. I think they'll take Hart with those 2 so they have someone experienced to help them settle rather than having 3 keepers go, all of which will have never been at a major international tournament before. 

On 09/01/2018 at 08:01, oldtimeram said:

Hart..... Oh dear, back in the day when we had some decent keepers he would never have got a sniff at an England shirt. Very poor goalkeeper in my opinion,  despite his awards etc

I actually thought Hart used to be a very good GK. When he was on loan at Brum and his first few seasons at Man City he seemed unflappable. Don't know what changed in him as he looks a liability now. 

12 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

I actually thought Hart used to be a very good GK. When he was on loan at Brum and his first few seasons at Man City he seemed unflappable. Don't know what changed in him as he looks a liability now. 

Soap in his eyes

14 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Aye, he was Head & Shoulders ahead of his rivals at one time.

On 09/01/2018 at 09:01, oldtimeram said:

Hart..... Oh dear, back in the day when we had some decent keepers he would never have got a sniff at an England shirt. Very poor goalkeeper in my opinion,  despite his awards etc

Here’s one for you all: Have we ever had a line up of England keepers better than Seaman, Flowers, and Martyn in one squad? Not that I can think of. Unbelievable choices, Any of th would walk into the team nowadays.

Just now, cosmic said:

Here’s one for you all: Have we ever had a line up of England keepers better than Seaman, Flowers, and Martyn in one squad? Not that I can think of. Unbelievable choices, Any of th would walk into the team nowadays.

Clemence and Shilton shared the shirt for a few years and both were arguably amongst the best in the world at the time. 

I listen to the Football Ramble podcast and they have a regular argument about picking players for England that are not only in good form but also have had to make numerous saves ala Pickford at Sunderland last year or been in a team that has done more defending than a Chelsea/Man City as the players are completing said skill more often than a player playing for a top team who don't do as much defending. 

I think that its a good arguement and it would be interesting to compare Carson's stats to that of Forster/Hart/Pickford. 

1 hour ago, Ramchester said:

I listen to the Football Ramble podcast and they have a regular argument about picking players for England that are not only in good form but also have had to make numerous saves ala Pickford at Sunderland last year or been in a team that has done more defending than a Chelsea/Man City as the players are completing said skill more often than a player playing for a top team who don't do as much defending. 

I think that its a good arguement and it would be interesting to compare Carson's stats to that of Forster/Hart/Pickford. 

Football Ramble is brilliant.

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Rather than start a new thread I would be interested to everyone's thoughts on what you would do if Carson got injured in February and was out for the season. Would you play Mitchell? Would you play Roos? Can we loan a keeper if necessary? If so would you? 

I bet you have bony hands, wear a black hoodie and carry a scythe. 

3 hours ago, Ramchester said:

I am convinced entirely that on current form Carson is easilly better than Forster (who I maintain is absolute turd) and probably Hart.

32 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Rather than start a new thread I would be interested to everyone's thoughts on what you would do if Carson got injured in February and was out for the season. Would you play Mitchell? Would you play Roos? Can we loan a keeper if necessary? If so would you? 

We wouldn't be able to loan a keeper unless all the professional keepers on our books were injured. As well as Roos and Mitchell I think professional keepers on the books are Josh Barnes, Henrich Ravas and Matt Yates.

If there was any choice I would play Roos without any shadow of a doubt. However, I posted elsewhere that I don't believe he is allowed to play for us now this season because of the three-club rule and he's already played for two other teams. That also suggests we can't transfer him out as there'd be no point anyone buying him.

It may be that somewhere in the small print I was unable to find there's a clause saying that goalkeeping emergency loans don't count towards the three-club rule (there are a lot of rules that are different for goalkeepers) but I haven't found it. If Roos really can't play I'd look at Josh Barnes as well as Mitchell, but given Mitchell does at least have some experience that probably means he'd have to be the pick.

21 hours ago, ossieram said:

Clemence and Shilton shared the shirt for a few years and both were arguably amongst the best in the world at the time. 

with Joe Corrigan getting the occasional trot out as #3. What a trio that was. The only issue was that England never managed to actually qualify for any tournaments when the 3 of them were in their pomp.

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

with Joe Corrigan getting the occasional trot out as #3. What a trio that was. The only issue was that England never managed to actually qualify for any tournaments when the 3 of them were in their pomp.

Ron Greenwood's England (when it should have been Cloughie's) in the 1982 Word Cup. Shilton looked unbeatable but did concede one goal in the tournament in a 3-1 win over France. We comfortably won our group. Nowadays that would take you through into the knockout phases, but back then it took you into a second qualifying group stage of three teams, only one of which would qualify for the semifinals. Who else did we have in this qualifying group? West Germany and Spain!

We drew both games 0-0 with Shilton imperious and Clemence his unused reserve. But sadly the Germans beat Spain so qualified for the semifinals. By finishing behind us in the first group stages, France went into a second quallifying group with Austria and Northern Ireland which they won comfortably to go on to the semifinals.

Read all about it: http://www.englandfootballonline.com/cmpwc/CmpWC1982Finals.html

Archived