Need advice on where to live in Derby

Hannah-owl93

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

central nottingham... and both get the train. nottingham city centre is pretty good.

Takes twice as long to get to Sheffield from Notts, due to security check and making sure none of the 5 fingered population breaks out of quarantine.

I’d consider somewhere in between and both travel; the villages around Matlock are all really friendly with great pubs. Belper’s up and coming, allegedly.

If you want the city, the best bits of Derby to live for me are just north of the cathedral, around Arthur Street, or some of the streets off Kedleston Road. Avoid Allenton or anywhere south. 

I think Derby’s the best city there is for real ale pubs, all within easy walking distance. 

Consider llkeston.

Lovely part of the world to pass through, the newest railway station in the UK, equidistant from Derby and Nottm, with trains to the big cities and buses to the more provincial towns, and lots of green space to make your own.

PistoldPete2
22 hours ago, Hannah-owl93 said:

Hi everyone! I know this forum is dedicated to football but im having a really hard time finding any information.

My boyfriend has been offered a job in the centre of Derby, and we are possibly looking to move to the city. I was wondering if anyone might be able to give advice on the good areas to live, and the ones to avoid. Ideally we're looking for something with a good bus route to the train station since I work in Sheffield and would need to commute if we lived in Derby. Id say our budget would be about £600pm.

Also, what are the good and bad points about Derby? Is it a friendly place in general? I know the pubs and choices of ale are meant to be great here so I'm very excited about that.

If there is a more appropriate derby forum, please point me in the right direction :) but any tips or advice would be very gratefully received 

Thank you and best of luck for the season

(Uto)

Allestree is one of the poshest parts of derby although it’s not got any decent pubs I can think of. It has good bus routes . Outside of Derby There’s one train from Belper to Sheffield for commuters but it leaves at 7.30 and if you miss it you’re a bit stuffed as the only alternative is to go back into Derby and catch the train from there.

If you prefer something more in the centre you could look at the Castleward development ... in between the intu shopping centre and the derby train station.

I've lived on Ashbourne Road all my miserable life and its not so bad. Have to step over vomit at the front gate on occasion but that's about the worst of it.

I think generally the pitched 'good' areas are right. Whoever suggested Alfreton is a maniac. I work there, its like a huge open air care home.

On 03/01/2018 at 13:36, Paul71 said:

Depends on if your BF drives or not.

If he does, or is happy to catch the bus then you could look further afield, Alfreton has a train station with links to Sheffield. Probably more likely to get better value for money for your £600pm somewhere like that.

Lovely suggestion. Just outside of Alfreton there's the quaint village of Ironville (a hidden gem), and Pinxton is gorgeous too.

Long Eaton a good shout in terms of affordability.  Maybe spondon too. Attenborough and beeston also on that rail line but probably a bit pricey. I grew up in chadd so mixed feelings there but I think Chester Green is a fairly unique place. What transport do you have?

On 03/01/2018 at 14:05, StivePesley said:

LOL - my eldest lad lives about 5 doors down from there. It is indeed a good place to live. I used to live on Chester Green too.

I don't think any of the buses from Chester Green go direct to the train station, but it's walkable. About 15 mins at a decent pace, although maybe not so great in the winter if you are walking alone

Other alternative is Strutts Park/West End on the other side of the river as the UniBus goes down Kedleston/Duffield Road and that goes to the station

This place looks ideal as the Unibus stops right outside, and still walkable to the station in the summer

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-62674897.html

I doubt Mo Farah could do Chester Green to the train station in 15 minutes!

PistoldPete2
On 05/01/2018 at 11:07, Inglorius said:

West Bridgford or Ruddington are good places. As for Derby I would only consider living in somewhere like Allestree or Darley Abbey as the rest of the city is a dump.  

Ive never heard of West Bridgford or Ruddington. This lady is looking for somewhere  to live, I dont think she sounds like a pimp, prostitute, drug dealer or gangster, so Nottingham would be out of the question. 

3 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Ive never heard of West Bridgford or Ruddington. This lady is looking for somewhere  to live, I dont think she sounds like a pimp, prostitute, drug dealer or gangster, so Nottingham would be out of the question. 

They never do mate, they never do.

Archived