Need advice on where to live in Derby

Hannah-owl93

Hi everyone! I know this forum is dedicated to football but im having a really hard time finding any information.

My boyfriend has been offered a job in the centre of Derby, and we are possibly looking to move to the city. I was wondering if anyone might be able to give advice on the good areas to live, and the ones to avoid. Ideally we're looking for something with a good bus route to the train station since I work in Sheffield and would need to commute if we lived in Derby. Id say our budget would be about £600pm.

Also, what are the good and bad points about Derby? Is it a friendly place in general? I know the pubs and choices of ale are meant to be great here so I'm very excited about that.

If there is a more appropriate derby forum, please point me in the right direction :) but any tips or advice would be very gratefully received 

Thank you and best of luck for the season

(Uto)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Hannah-owl93 said:

Hi everyone! I know this forum is dedicated to football but im having a really hard time finding any information.

My boyfriend has been offered a job in the centre of Derby, and we are possibly looking to move to the city. I was wondering if anyone might be able to give advice on the good areas to live, and the ones to avoid. Ideally we're looking for something with a good bus route to the train station since I work in Sheffield and would need to commute if we lived in Derby. Id say our budget would be about £600pm.

Also, what are the good and bad points about Derby? Is it a friendly place in general? I know the pubs and choices of ale are meant to be great here so I'm very excited about that.

If there is a more appropriate derby forum, please point me in the right direction :) but any tips or advice would be very gratefully received 

(Uto)

Nottingham lol, sadly IMO and if you search this forum a bit the general opinion is that the football club is on the up but the city is on the way down 

Allenton, Alvaston, Mackworth and Sinfin aren't great. Avoid Normanton and Peartree.

Littleover, Chaddeseden Village and Spondon are all ok.

Mickleover, Chellaston and Oakwood are good if a bit plastic and may be a bit pricier.

If you can afford it I would go Chester Green or Darley Abbey,

Both nice areas with good housing and great real ale pubs.

10 minutes ago, Moist One said:

@Hannah-owl93 haven't you already got @Hannah-owl account?

Anyway, I would ask, HOW are you intending to commute to Sheffield?

Yeah, sorry I set that up to an old email accidentally. 

Train. It's only half an hour. My job in Sheffield is only 5 mins away from the station. It's not ideal as it will take a massive chunk of my wages but there's no way around it

2 hours ago, Hannah-owl93 said:

(Uto)

Wash your mouth out!:)

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, Hannah-owl93 said:

(Uto)

Depends on if your BF drives or not.

If he does, or is happy to catch the bus then you could look further afield, Alfreton has a train station with links to Sheffield. Probably more likely to get better value for money for your £600pm somewhere like that.

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Depends on if your BF drives or not.

If he does, or is happy to catch the bus then you could look further afield, Alfreton has a train station with links to Sheffield. Probably more likely to get better value for money for your £600pm somewhere like that.

You cruel man, sending poor innocents to Alfreton. 

3 hours ago, sage said:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-70409633.html

This is where I would choose in your position. Near the centre, great pubs and parks but quiet.

LOL - my eldest lad lives about 5 doors down from there. It is indeed a good place to live. I used to live on Chester Green too.

I don't think any of the buses from Chester Green go direct to the train station, but it's walkable. About 15 mins at a decent pace, although maybe not so great in the winter if you are walking alone

Other alternative is Strutts Park/West End on the other side of the river as the UniBus goes down Kedleston/Duffield Road and that goes to the station

This place looks ideal as the Unibus stops right outside, and still walkable to the station in the summer

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-62674897.html

Another alternative is somewhere within walking distance of Long Eaton station ,direct line to Derby £4-5 ish and also direct line to Sheffield .Long Eaton station is actually in Sawley decent area  rents would be cheaper ,just an idea .

In terms of friendliness Derby is better than OK imo and although Nottingham has far more facilities I actually prefer Derby [I live in Nottingham] so that must say something .Good luck with your search  

11 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

Anywhere in Nottinghamshire 

Funny I am a Notts lad through and through I thought back in the 60's 70's and 80's Nottingham should have been the capital of England such a brilliant place .They have absolutely ruined the place and Derby is far friendlier that Notts when you go shopping the assistants in Derby are far better than Notts who are by and large rude 

Not just my opinion but most of my neighbours go to Derby instead of Nottingham shopping, this is also due to Nottingham's anti car policy which means Derby city centre in 15 mins ,Nottingham 40 mins despite living there.

So despite the locals [Derby]  thinking their city is in decline ,Notts I am sad to say is much worse.

3 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

City Point is pretty decent towards the back once you get past the flats. 10 minute walk to the station and the mighty Pride Park. Plenty of places to eat. A park on your doorstep and bus route straight into the centre.

I can concur with this @Hannah-owl93 I live on City Point, plenty of nice flats, semis, detached and 3 storey houses here, right next to a park too, not far from train station

23 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Funny I am a Notts lad through and through I thought back in the 60's 70's and 80's Nottingham should have been the capital of England such a brilliant place .They have absolutely ruined the place and Derby is far friendlier that Notts when you go shopping the assistants in Derby are far better than Notts who are by and large rude 

Not just my opinion but most of my neighbours go to Derby instead of Nottingham shopping, this is also due to Nottingham's anti car policy which means Derby city centre in 15 mins ,Nottingham 40 mins despite living there.

So despite the locals [Derby]  thinking their city is in decline ,Notts I am sad to say is much worse.

I wouldn't go walking round with that gopping white shirt on in Nottingham.. that might be your problem

North or West of the city centre is a general rule, although plenty of nice new apartments popped up in the city centre recently. Depends what you're after. Flat or house? Leafy or urban? New or old, etc?

As for Derby, I'm biased but I think it's better in the last 10 years than the previous 10. Cathedral Quarter is delightful, Intu is good for shopping if you like that sort of thing, great pubs, restaurants, beautiful parks.

What are we missing? Clubs, a John Lewis (apparently), "big city atmosphere", decent use of the river and a good city centre large scale performance venue.

Oh, and I've heard Bustler Market is pretty great. :ph34r:

Archived