Small SUV, but which?

RoyMac5

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

We're probably going to get Mrs Wolfie a SEAT Arona.

We loved the look of the Mazda CX-3 and they're supposed to be very good but the Mrs needs an automatic and unfortunately the Mazda comes in with too high a CO2 level for her local authority leasing scheme, as it's only available on the bigger engines.

The SEAT looks like the next best choice.

The Peugeot crossovers are good. We’ve had a 2008 and then upgraded to a 3008 when a few more kids came along, and the new 5008 looks pretty smart depending on how big you want it. 

The ilde 3008 has a really clever boot with a split tailgate and loads of room. But I think they’ve changed it in the new one.

Not sure about prices, but Peugeot do some really good PCP deals, which how we’ve had ours. 

On 31/12/2017 at 09:36, RoyMac5 said:

Thought about them, pre buying the Note but a bit 'basic' looking when I've seen them, not sure about reliability or resale value either.

My Mrs got a brand new Dacia Sandero just before Christmas. For the money it's brilliant little car - although actually not that little inside.

Dacia don't discount so resale values remain very high. I read somewhere that they're actually the slowest depreciating car make out there.

As for them being basic, it depends which trim level you  go for. The entry level Access doesn't even have a radio but is under £10k new. As you go up the range you pay more, but get everything that you can get on other similar cars, but still for several thousand less.

From what I read reliability is better than most, with nearly all faults being minor things like parcel shelf mountings failing. They are owned by Renualt who seem to be working hard to establish the brand in the UK, in the same way as VW did with Skoda.

I did seriously look at getting a Duster myself, but couldn't quite afford it last year. My 12 year old daughter reckons that they're ugly and uncool though...but then again, so am I.

2 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I did seriously look at getting a Duster myself, but couldn't quite afford it last year. My 12 year old daughter reckons that they're ugly and uncool though...but then again, so am I.

Lol! Thanks for the info.

Have decided to take out a 4th year warranty on the Note and look again next year. We like the Note and this version has a fair amount going for it in engine and 'extras' that are pushing up the cost of the new SUVs I've looked at online. Still like the look of the Seat Arona but as it's newish to market I'd rather not be an early adopter.

8 hours ago, Wolfie said:

We're probably going to get Mrs Wolfie a SEAT Arona.

We loved the look of the Mazda CX-3 and they're supposed to be very good but the Mrs needs an automatic and unfortunately the Mazda comes in with too high a CO2 level for her local authority leasing scheme, as it's only available on the bigger engines.

The SEAT looks like the next best choice.

I've got a Cupra with the DSG box, it's awesome.

Get her a Cupra estate, they have a 4x version too for the snow. 

11 hours ago, reveldevil said:

That is a misconception.  4WD will help you get moving in those conditions, however once moving the physics for all vehicles are equal. 1WD, 2WD, 4WD, 6WD etc.

All motor vehicles need traction for safe steering - 4WD/AWD does not provide extra traction for steering.

All cars need traction for safe braking - 4WD/AWD does not provide extra traction for braking.

In that sense 2WD is "safer" - it leaves you stranded early and keeps you out of trouble. The trouble only 4WD/AWD owners might get into.

5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Well rear wheel drive cars are fun in the snow, that’s all I know. 4 wheel drive keeps you a bit straighter in slippy conditions.

everyone hates on 4WD owners, until they want a lift to work, or towing out a bit of snow etc.

When i started driving my first two cars were rear wheel drive, used to put a couple of paving slabs in the boot for snowy conditions, worked a treat.

I slid all the way down a long steep hill going to Cressbrook, up in the Peaks on Wednesday morning in the snow. Nothing I could do to slow me down. I don't think 4 wheel drive would have helped but the traction control did, as it kept me in a straight line. Luckily the hill was straight but I was still close to needing a new pair of pants by the time I got to the bottom.

13 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I've got a Cupra with the DSG box, it's awesome.

Yeah I do like them but Mrs Wolfie has a bad back, which is deteriorating, so we need the extra height of the SUV to help her get in & out. hence the need for an automatic as well.

Archived