Championship promotion “rivals” watch

Bris Vegas

On the BBC Lee Johnson callednit a game too far.

gary Rowett also uses the exact phrase for us. 

We go a game too far, we scrape a draw. They go a game too far, they get battered 5-0. Based on that, there’s only one team that’s going to win second when the going gets tough. 

Bristol and Cardiff are both toast, IMO. 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont know bristols squad, but think they have one or 2 injuries. they also had about 4 more league cup games than we have. They also put a lot into getting a point just days after the man utd game, and put a lot in to the wolves game. So it was always gonna happen. I think Rowett has used our squad well over the xmas period myself.

I still maintain the festival calender is mental.

even nigel at burton rested first teams the other day, with their squad.

As i said on another forum, people might wonder how European leagues manage to get a winter break in, while we play 4 games in a week. but to be fair most of their divisions are 18 teams. thats 10 less games a season!

24 teams in a division belongs to a different era in my view.

It’s been a decent festive period for Derby. Undefeated, a good win on the road and a point against a fellow top-six side.

Just for comparison, here’s how we compare to our rivals (top 10) over the past four games. 

Brentford 9 points (played 3)

Boro 9 points

Derby 8 points

Wolves 7 points (played 3)

Villa 7 points

Leeds 7 points

Sheff Utd 5 points

Preston 5 points

Bristol City 4 points

Cardiff City 0 points

Only Brentford, Boro and possibly Wolves will have taken more points than us over the four games.

Wolves coasting against Brentford and about to go 12 points clear, well and truly over the horizon with only 20 games to go.

Fuham have scored 4 in 7 minutes to overhaul Ipswich and go into 10th, but still 10 points behind us. Despite their great recent form, Brentford drop to 11th, 12 points behind the Rams.

All the contenders apart from Wolves have been dropping points, especially in the pressurized second spot. If we can stay strong this division is there for the taking. But recent season's tell us it's a big "if".

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Hope Birmingham aren't coming into some sort of form - 2 wins on the bounce now if their score remains at 2-0. We need to bring them back down to earth (preferably with a bang)

I forgot we were playing them next. For a moment I thought you were classing them as promotion rivals. They’d need a helluva run of form at this stage. 

Nice to see that Cardiff have a replay after failing to beat Mansfield at home.

Aston Villa 1-3 Peterborough. Looks like Villa have thrown that one to focus on the league.

Bristol City are out too. But Sheff Utd and Boro are through so will have extra games.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Nice to see that Cardiff have a replay after failing to beat Mansfield at home.

Aston Villa 1-3 Peterborough. Looks like Villa have thrown that one to focus on the league.

Bristol City are out too. But Sheff Utd and Boro are through so will have extra games.

With you on Cardiff sheff u and Middlesbrough 

yep Bristol city chucked it but Aston Villa well maybe they didn’t want the games but that is a dreadful result at home 

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Leeds made 9 changes for their cup tie. Think that shows where their priorities lie.

Interesting that we, Bristol, Leeds and Villa all effectively played reserve sides. Not sure how Cardiff compared with, say, our 4 regular starters. The gauntlet has been well and truly thrown down for these final 20 games. Will Boro regret their victory over Sunderland?

Looking forward to the run in. If we can hold our nerve and put in a run now, winning the next 3 or 4, we'll be very hard to catch.

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

They brought Saiz on and he got sent off just after the goal for supposedly spitting at a Newport player, so he's out for the next 3 games at least

I know it’s foul play but is that serious foul play? Anyway horrible and stupid and Leeds losing at Newport is very funny 

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Looking at the team arsenal have put out they deserve to lose, oh hang on they are playing the red dogs 

Sky sports said wenger would have only played 10 men if he could as hes heard thats all you need.

Archived