Darren Bent - joined Burton on loan

Stripperg-ram

32 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

The damage? I'm talking purely about the sacking, led by Rush but I'm sure Mel had more than a part to play, inevitable that brings a bit of a grudge to both sides, i'll be happy if its put to bed through the close relationship Gary and NC have, no reason for any of the Clough's to keep hold of a grudge with Derby and no reason for Derby to stay "fallen out" with the Cloughs either.

Personally I agree 100% about the unfairness of the sacking but for the sake of accuracy Mel had nothing to do with it. He became Chairman at the END of that season after McClaren had led us to the play-off final. GSE still owned the club at the time Clough was sacked. The key moment was when Tom Glick (who appear to hold Clough in very high regard) departed for Man City and was replaced by Rush who seemed to have an anti-Clough agenda right from the start...

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

Personally I agree 100% about the unfairness of the sacking but for the sake of accuracy Mel had nothing to do with it. He became Chairman at the END of that season after McClaren had led us to the play-off final. GSE still owned the club at the time Clough was sacked. The key moment was when Tom Glick (who appear to hold Clough in very high regard) departed for Man City and was replaced by Rush who seemed to have an anti-Clough agenda right from the start...

Mel was involved long before GSE gave over the reigns.

53 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

The damage? I'm talking purely about the sacking

I sincerely doubt this. There would be a lot of grudges in football if all managers held one against their old club. It'd also be thoroughly unprofessional and a little tinpot. I don't think Derby would hold a grudge over Fulham not giving Martin back, or Derby for wanting Martin back. I think this damage has been invented.

3 hours ago, reveldevil said:

So Mel was telling porkies when he said he offered to invest and get involved on the eve of the Play Off final?

I'll check, wouldn't want to get I trouble for posting untruths.

my understanding is that Mel was a behind the scenes investor or backer long before he bought the club outright.

i could well have misinterpreted though.

it may have been another local businessman and not Mel.

im not having a go at Mel by the way, even if he'd made the decision on his own. I've said ever since he's been on board that it's his money his decisions.. I think I've always said Mel got away with me disliking him as I've huge respect for anyone who has done what's he's done in business.

not wanting to reopen old arguments genuinely pleased and grateful to have Bent at the Pirelli. Couldn't have happened without GR AND Mel

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

I sincerely doubt this. There would be a lot of grudges in football if all managers held one against their old club. It'd also be thoroughly unprofessional and a little tinpot. I don't think Derby would hold a grudge over Fulham not giving Martin back, or Derby for wanting Martin back. I think this damage has been invented.

There's being sacked and there's being sacked.

you think Nigel and Sam would ever sit down for a friendly beer?

grudges exist everywhere in football. Players, coaches, managers, money men, they all hold grudges over someone at some point.

relationships can be mended of course but it takes time or gestures of peace from one side or the other.

3 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

There's being sacked and there's being sacked.

you think Nigel and Sam would ever sit down for a friendly beer?

grudges exist everywhere in football. Players, coaches, managers, money men, they all hold grudges over someone at some point.

relationships can be mended of course but it takes time or gestures of peace from one side or the other.

But Sam doesn't represent Derby anymore. So it hardly seems relevant at this stage. 

Archived