Griezmann

Day

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

So who is it that is believing that one race is better than another due to this 'blacking up'?

Well as I keep saying, for over 100 years white people blacked up for entertainment to play characters who were slow, dumb and lazy. Whether you like it or not, that was a form of entertainment and can’t just be ignored. You might say ‘that’s in the past’ but to be honest I think the amount of people saying that over ‘you know before commenting on this I better look up the history of blacking up’ is the problem here, not faux outrage or anybody creating racism.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the colour of someones skin should be treated as a costume you can put on and off.

If you want to dress up as Nick Fury from Marvel, just wear the eye patch and the trench coat. If you want to dress up as Michael Jordan, wear his shirt and his shoes. There's no need to black up to imitate someone well.

3 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Yawn - not even going to go there. Griezmann has showed his ignorance. Don't show yours

Exactly the sort of response I would have expected...

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Well as I keep saying, for over 100 years white people blacked up for entertainment to play characters who were slow, dumb and lazy. Whether you like it or not, that was a form of entertainment and can’t just be ignored. You might say ‘that’s in the past’ but to be honest I think the amount of people saying that over ‘you know before commenting on this I better look up the history of blacking up’ is the problem here, not faux outrage or anybody creating racism.

Why should I have to look it up?

If I don't the history of it there's a reasonable likelihood that black people of my age and younger won't either,  so why bring it to people's attention and make an issue of it.

Just the same as I don't expect  German people apologising for all of their lives for bombing my ancestors, I don't expect to spend all of my life being apologetic because my ancestors treated their ancestors badly. 

FWIW I actually believe my black and asian friends would be cringing at the supposed defence of them on this thread.

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I'd argue the reason there's any confusion as to which character you are is down to a lack of effort in the costume or a poor/lazy choice of character.

Your friend (who's becoming more intelligent with every post) clearly wanted to be Thor as its a very recognisable look, and he wanted to get past the awkward "so who are you supposed to be?" conversations that I guarantee you would STILL get even if you blackfaced.

Your answer would probably just disappoint them. 

I'll be honest Tedd, I don't think you're coming away from this party with many happy memories. I hope the food is good.

**** it! Knew I should’ve gone with the red wig and shoved a couple of melons up my top and been black widow. 

And ironically the only reason I wouldn’t be instantly recognised if because black people have been poorly represented in pop culture, especially comic books, so no one but the hard core faithful would know who black panther is (I didn’t til they cast him in age of ultranationalist) - I’m going to leave that in there, that’s a hilariously inappropriate autocorrect.

Falcon and nick fury weren’t black in the comics either. 

That’s institutional racism that is. 

I’m not sure if I just won my argument or someone else’s :)

46 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

**** it! Knew I should’ve gone with the red wig and shoved a couple of melons up my top and been black widow. 

Good idea, then we could have started a sexism thread as well.

On 18/12/2017 at 17:13, SaintRam said:

Almost entirely characters, now I think about it.

John Coffey,

Nick Fury,

Lando Calrissian

The ghostbuster, Winston I think his name was (3 black guys went as the other 3 ghostbusters)

That's off the top of my head, there's definitely more I just can't remember the names of the characters. Some of them could be people.

Don’t know if anybody has said this but Nick Fury wasn’t black until about 15 years ago.

Every year, hundreds of people in the small Spanish city of Alcoy, in Alicante province, paint their faces black. They dress up in head-to-toe black clothing and draw on big red lips. For those outside of Alcoy, the effect is startling: a minstrel show on steroids.

full story here https://elpais.com/elpais/2017/12/18/trans_iberian/1513600440_342120.html

10 hours ago, StringerBell said:

Don’t know if anybody has said this but Nick Fury wasn’t black until about 15 years ago.

I know that - this was definitely the Samuel L Jackson version though.

13 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

And ironically the only reason I wouldn’t be instantly recognised if because black people have been poorly represented in pop culture, especially comic books, so no one but the hard core faithful would know who black panther is (I didn’t til they cast him in age of ultranationalist) - I’m going to leave that in there, that’s a hilariously inappropriate autocorrect.

Falcon and nick fury weren’t black in the comics either. 

That’s institutional racism that is. 

I’m not sure if I just won my argument or someone else’s :)

I meant to emphasise the lack of effort in costume ;) was just citing other possible reasons.

Probably someone else's, also. Institutional racism is definitely a thing though, I don't think anyone argues against that :p 

Archived