Do we have any Guitar Players here?

DesertRam

14 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

At this point, I just can't resist posting a photo of one of my babies...

IMG_3498.thumb.jpg.b24cba0e40e3199192de505a4fe30fb5.jpg

A fellow Billy Bragg fan then I guess? :)

I'm a guitarist too  - mostly acoustic gentle finger-picking style so I'm distinctly unimpressed by all the widdle merchant videos being posted here

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, StivePesley said:

A fellow Billy Bragg fan then I guess? :)

I'm a guitarist too  - mostly acoustic gentle finger-picking style so I'm distinctly unimpressed by all the widdle merchant videos being posted here

Indeed.

I first saw him playing one of these in 1983/4 and always wanted one. The only problem was, there was a run of only about 40 ever made. Imagine my joy then when Burns started to produce them again in about 1999 or 2000. My dream came true for £350.

I’ve played in bands for years. Currently in an original psychedelic prog band which plays pubs and small festivals. 

Gibson ‘61 reissue SG with P90s into a Carr Slant 6v 2x12, various pedals. I’d post pictures, but I can’t post pictures. 

Tina S is amazing, but she’s been classically trained from the age of six. You don’t get that good sitting in your bedroom listening to Neil Young.

Selling a Fender Supersonic 60W in blonde, if anyone’s interested. 

Been playing 25+ years, would probably say Stevie Ray Vaughn and John Frusciante are my favourite players for totally different reasons. In the market for a new guitar at the moment, got a nice strat, les paul and a taylor acoustic, thinking of picking up a japanese tele, seems to be a good idea for the price, plus i want a rosewood fingerboard tele and options there are limited  

On 20/12/2017 at 09:12, Eddie Lewis said:

Been playing 25+ years, would probably say Stevie Ray Vaughn and John Frusciante are my favourite players for totally different reasons. In the market for a new guitar at the moment, got a nice strat, les paul and a taylor acoustic, thinking of picking up a japanese tele, seems to be a good idea for the price, plus i want a rosewood fingerboard tele and options there are limited  

I’m after a Les Paul,fancy an ESPLtd but I think the EMG’s might be a bit to metal for me these days.

I’ve got anESP Explorer from the 80’s,first Model Charvel/Jackson strat and an Ibanez strat somewhere...don’t know what to get really.

Maybe an EVH.

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

Did any of you watch that episode of Pawn Stars where the nephew of Mary Ford brought in a 62 SG previously owned by Les Paul? 

Shop brought it for 90k and I read somewhere it sold at auction for 250 k.

I usually buy stuff for several hundred that ends up being worth a tenner.

I haven’t seen that one.

I'd be shocked if you could get any ES for less than 2.5k, maybe a studio edition but not a full spec model. A 339 would be my dream but they are crazy money. My LP is really versatile, it's a 2007 standard, I played about 10 before I found this one, build quality at Gibson is a bit hit and miss so be prepared to dig deep to find one that really sings 

40 years ago I had about 6 guitars.

We used to play at a place called the Mint Bar in Huthwaite nr Mansfield 

It was a biker bar, so heavy rock was the remit. I presume its long gone now?

We always had a great time there.

Born to be Wild

Honky Tonk Women

Can't get enough

Blowing Free

Smoke on the Water

Purple Haze

You know the sort of things! We used to play for about 2/3 hours, I can't even remember

the songs now.  I still have a Mexican Strat, and a couple of Ovation semi acoustics, but haven't

even got them out of the cases for about 6/7 years.

19 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Tell me more?

A quick google looks like they’re about £1.5k to the les paul’s £2k. The idea is that it’s a scaled down 335 to make it more manageable to handle and reduce feedback. It still has the centre block, whereas the 336 doesn’t. I preferred the 336 myself and never got uncontrollable feedback even stood in front of loud amps in cramped pubs. 

All long since sold. I’ve played virtually nothing else apart from my SG for the last 15 years. Some guitars just work, and I tried loads before I found the right one. With P90s it’s the perfect balance of fatness and warmth with clarity and bite.

The main thing is finding what works for you. I’ve found that the amp is much more important for tone, response and playing feel than the guitar though. As Keith Richards said, it’s a case of the right guitar with the right amp. 

Archived