Sign in to follow this  
Mr Giggles

Pets

Toya's son has never had a pet before but wants one of his own now.What do ya'll recommend as a good first pet for him?He's 8 years old if that helps any.

I think he could handle a puppy but Toya is not sure.Maybe a beta fish or something similar?

I know he personally wants a reptile of some sort but we both on the fence about that.

Thanks all in advance.

5 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Toya's son has never had a pet before but wants one of his own now.What do ya'll recommend as a good first pet for him?He's 8 years old if that helps any.

I think he could handle a puppy but Toya is not sure.Maybe a beta fish or something similar?

I know he personally wants a reptile of some sort but we both on the fence about that.

Thanks all in advance.

At 8, he will possibly lose interest, unless you get a dog and they bond.  However a dog is a family pet, so you all take a share in it's welfare.

Cat's are not pets, they are independant entities that do what they want, when they want.  Fish, best kept for eating.

Maybe a rodent (rat, gerbil, hamster etc) or rabbit, depending on if you have a garden/yard or an appartment.  Shorter life span, easier to maintain the upkeep, cheeper for food, and requires less vet visits for defleaing/jabs etc.  Buy a 2nd hand cage to keep costs down.

6 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Cat's are not pets, they are independant entities that do what they want, when they want.

Don’t talk wet, cats are pets.

In fact I would recommend a kitten over a puppy @AmericanRam as a first time pet owner, much more rewarding than a rodent in a cage that you’ll get a couple of years out of at best.

13 minutes ago, David said:

Don’t talk wet, cats are pets.

As a cat owner, for decades, cats are a law unto themselves.  Kittens are fine and cute, however once they are over that stage, they are off doing their own stuff, unless you open a tin of food and they arrive at your feet at Mach 2.

38 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

As a cat owner, for decades, cats are a law unto themselves.  Kittens are fine and cute, however once they are over that stage, they are off doing their own stuff, unless you open a tin of food and they arrive at your feet at Mach 2.

Having had 4 myself, all of which were loving pets, knew their names and demanded as much attention as the dog does without food I would say you've been extremely unlucky or I have been extremely lucky. 

In fact my last two are now living with my mum simply because having 2 cats and a dog all demanding lap time and behind my feet 24/7 became too much.

I thought it was down to working from home they became attached to me, where as others pets are left at home alone all day become more independent by nature.

Thing is I've been told they are just as loving to my mum as they were me and regularly sent pictures of them both curled up on her lap all night.

To say cats are only interested in you when you have food has been absolute rubbish in my experience, yes they run mach 2 when a tin is opened, as does the dog. Animals love food.

19 minutes ago, David said:

I thought it was down to working from home they became attached to me, where as others pets are left at home alone all day become more independent by nature.

Maybe that is it, I have two, one sleeps 23 and 3/4 hours a day, or appears to, as they choose a spot and seemily not move (me and the misses both work away from home) one is out hunting for 18+ hours a day.