A Duck Cob

TuffLuff

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always associated looo-k, hooo-k and other extended oooo's with the Mancunian accent, where my dad grew up. It's the only part of his original accent that he hasn't got rid of. 

There's a definite divide in accents in the county. Up around Alfreton the accent suddenly becomes much closer to the classic Yorkshire accent. 

In the 1950s the wide spread slang word for a girl was "bint". Brought over by British soldiers, Arabic for girl or daughter. I recall in the late 50s the word "bird" slowly taking over and Bint is no longer used though it was in Austin Powers. 

13 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I've always associated looo-k, hooo-k and other extended oooo's with the Mancunian accent, where my dad grew up. It's the only part of his original accent that he hasn't got rid of. 

There's a definite divide in accents in the county. Up around Alfreton the accent suddenly becomes much closer to the classic Yorkshire accent. 

I'd agree with that. In Buxton, it's a strange mixture of Mancunian, S. Yorks (Sheffield) and N. Staffordshire. Certainly different to Chesterfield, which is geographically nearer than Manchester. My cousin lived in Stockport, which really is something else! 'Mam, can we gooor ont booorts?' = Please may we hire a pedalo.

And another phrase I haven't heard for yonks is one we used to describe a couple in the throes of a sexual encounter. 

They were gooin at it like a rat up a pump

6 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

In the 1950s the wide spread slang word for a girl was "bint". Brought over by British soldiers, Arabic for girl or daughter. I recall in the late 50s the word "bird" slowly taking over and Bint is no longer used though it was in Austin Powers. 

Interesting. I never new the etymology of that one.

On 13/12/2017 at 19:56, Alpha said:

What about 

int - isn't

want - wasn't 

nowt and owt

wunna/wunt - wouldn't 

canna/ **** (sounds better in context! e.g. "I **** open it)- can't 

dunt - doesn't 

Are they East Midlands things? I use dunt, wunt, want, **** and int. I've tried to cut them out as it sounds like full on bumpkin talk.

You don't hear "eh up..." much in the south either? 

Eh up mate, yeah i'm alright ta duck. Int this weather *****

Definitely very Derby. I too have tried conscientiously to cut them out over the years but occasionally they can creep back in if not vigiliant and within 24 hours of visiting Derby I'm back on it! Professionally working outside of Derbyshire can be a challenge if you're using Derbyshire drawl to give a presentation to a load of our Southern breathren!

2 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

Definitely very Derby. I too have tried conscientiously to cut them out over the years but occasionally they can creep back in if not vigiliant and within 24 hours of visiting Derby I'm back on it! Professionally working outside of Derbyshire can be a challenge if you're using Derbyshire drawl to give a presentation to a load of our Southern breathren!

Cantsee a t’bak?

On 12/14/2017 at 10:50, PodgeyRam said:

went to live in IOM in the early 80's and that was the first time I has heard cooook booook remember it clearly and, of course, that's heavily influenced by Liverpool

Archived