1 hour ago, Alpha said:

What about 

int - isn't

want - wasn't 

nowt and owt

wunna/wunt - wouldn't 

canna/ **** (sounds better in context! e.g. "I **** open it)- can't 

dunt - doesn't 

Are they East Midlands things? I use dunt, wunt, want, **** and int. I've tried to cut them out as it sounds like full on bumpkin talk.

You don't hear "eh up..." much in the south either? 

Eh up mate, yeah i'm alright ta duck. Int this weather *****

Don't forget "shunna" as in I shunna really be out this late (shouldn't) and 'shanna" as in I shanna be coming here again. (Shan't). Common when I was in Derby but I'm over 70 now and things change

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We speak oddly around here too.  Here are some loose translations and explanations of everyday talk

To have many a beach sipped = Been around

To lap up death from a shell = Live by very meager means

To play chess with the pope = To poop

To let someone feel the tea water = To let em have it

To let the knee follow the belly = To follow through  (Nigel Clough VS Billy Davies comes to mind)

With the hook in the arse = Returning from a fishing trip without a catch

I´m going to thread out your intestines now = I'm going to interrogate you

I'll show him where David bought the ale = I'll get him  (Have no idea of the origin or identity of this David)

To have a bone in one's nose = Tough as nails

You are such an asshole =  You are so adorable

To take someone to the bakery = To reprimand someone harshly

He´s no blue water = No weakling

All dead lice fall from my head = Astonished

It lies in eyes upstairs = It's so obvious

There are many strange things in a cow's head = There are many strange things in a cow's head

When I was a mere lad in the 1960s my Dad's generation in Derby used some great sayings but we didn't use them. Old gits used them so I fear they may have died out 

my favourite is "I'm just gunna turn me bike rahnd" said in a pub when going for a slash. If it's no longer used we should bring it back!

then there was "well I'll go to the foot of the stairs" (pronounced as Well I'll gutta futta the stairs) to indicate disbelief or shock

and "it's dark over Bob's mother's" pronounced as It's dark ovver Bob's mother's (rhymes with "bother) to indicate rain clouds 

come to think of it I seem to recall mother rhymed with bother and father rhymed with bather at least it was in the rough Cotton Lane area. But pronunciations change over years. Here I am now living in London in my dotage but still say that I'm gooin to turn me bike rahnd when going to the pub toilets in memory of me old Dad 

16 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

When I was a mere lad in the 1960s my Dad's generation in Derby used some great sayings but we didn't use them. Old gits used them so I fear they may have died out 

my favourite is "I'm just gunna turn me bike rahnd" said in a pub when going for a slash. If it's no longer used we should bring it back!

then there was "well I'll go to the foot of the stairs" (pronounced as Well I'll gutta futta the stairs) to indicate disbelief or shock

and "it's dark over Bob's mother's" pronounced as It's dark ovver Bob's mother's (rhymes with "bother) to indicate rain clouds 

come to think of it I seem to recall mother rhymed with bother and father rhymed with bather at least it was in the rough Cotton Lane area. But pronunciations change over years. Here I am now living in London in my dotage but still say that I'm gooin to turn me bike rahnd when going to the pub toilets in memory of me old Dad 

Kick at panty door. (There’s not a lot for dinner)

am just gunna check pressure in me bike tyres. (Also going for a slash)

am not as green as I am cabbage looking ( I’m not stupid)

art comin or what? (Do hurry up)

4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Kick at panty door. (There’s not a lot for dinner)

am just gunna check pressure in me bike tyres. (Also going for a slash)

am not as green as I am cabbage looking ( I’m not stupid)

art comin or what? (Do hurry up)

You may want to edit panty bit..

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Op-pen do-er.

Open door round Ilson way.

Shove th' wud int' 'ole = Please close the door.

There used to be some amusing cockney notices in a pub near where I worked in London. One which springs to mind was 'Don't thow yer oilies on the Rory. Please use the ashtrays.'

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Was Bill's movvers raaahnd ah way.

You're right. It was Bill not Bob. 

And in the 1950s there were piclate stalls in the market hall. I never heard of crumpets (far inferior and smaller) until years later when I moved to Brum, where I first heard of baps (they were cobs in Derby.) still have my Derby accent though  

Its a long time since I lived in my homeland. Do they still say " a pint of cooking" for bitter?

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Accents change over a very short distance. Derbyshire north of Derby is different to South Derbyshire. 

As far west as Utch people pronounce look as luck, yet 5 miles further, Tean, Alton, its definitely luke.

So i can know which dialect to attempt to properly parrot when i come visit (and i will)

Which one's consider themselves the accent purists?  i bet it's the northern ones, it usually is

6 hours ago, ramit said:

So i can know which dialect to attempt to properly parrot when i come visit (and i will)

Which one's consider themselves the accent purists?  i bet it's the northern ones, it usually is

Mid Derbyshire I’d say, the coal field areas.

Mind you, a lot moved to south Derbyshire pits and took the accent weium.

Archived