A Duck Cob

TuffLuff

Recently listened to an Ed Byrne interview and he spoke about enjoying when he comes to Derbyshire because his kids pick up the accent instantaneously, so everything broken becomes ‘buggered’ etc

I didn’t really know that buggered was a Derbyshire thing but it got me thinking about other Derbyshire sayings that aren’t just the obvious ones.

Eg, one that crops us from time to time is people pronouncing cooking as ‘cooo-king’ (so you pronounce ‘cook’ like ‘coot’). Although I’m not 100% sure if this is Derbyshire or whether it’s been picked up from Staffordshire/Lancashire) 

Anyway...anymore sayings?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Recently listened to an Ed Byrne interview and he spoke about enjoying when he comes to Derbyshire because his kids pick up the accent instantaneously, so everything broken becomes ‘buggered’ etc

I didn’t really know that buggered was a Derbyshire thing but it got me thinking about other Derbyshire sayings that aren’t just the obvious ones.

Eg, one that crops us from time to time is people pronouncing cooking as ‘cooo-king’ (so you pronounce ‘cook’ like ‘coot’). Although I’m not 100% sure if this is Derbyshire or whether it’s been picked up from Staffordshire/Lancashire) 

Fairly certain that cooo-king is a scouse thing. My missus also says booo-k, looo-k, etc. 

Pea/Gravy/Curry mix is apparently a Derbyshire thing. 

A lot of Derbyshire dialect crosses over with Yorkshire - code instead of cold etc

One word I found that accurately marks a Derby accent is polo (or rolo or solo)

I can't really write down the nuance of the pronunciation but most people pronouce the two syllables to rhyme with the same way they pronounce sew (a button), row (your boat), low (self esteem), (Edgar Allan) Poe - but Derby people don't, we flatten the O in a way that we don't with those other words. Try it and you'll see what I mean

5 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Fairly certain that cooo-king is a scouse thing. My missus also says booo-k, looo-k, etc. 

Aye, you are probably right but just wasn’t sure as I’ve heard quite a few people do it but maybe it’s just trickled down from the north west? It does kinda fit in with the accent!

Do you mean that as a meal? I can remember having something like that when we were younger, it was a left over tea I think? So you’d put everything from ya roast into pot with curry flavourings? I remember the first time I went out for an Indian and thought that was what we were going to get...

14 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Aye, you are probably right but just wasn’t sure as I’ve heard quite a few people do it but maybe it’s just trickled down from the north west? It does kinda fit in with the accent!

Do you mean that as a meal? I can remember having something like that when we were younger, it was a left over tea I think? So you’d put everything from ya roast into pot with curry flavourings? I remember the first time I went out for an Indian and thought that was what we were going to get...

Sorry, I meant from a chippy. When I lived in Derby you could, for example, ask for a curry mix, which is just chips with curry sauce on top.

I'm in the West Midlands now and I have to say chips and curry sauce together, otherwise I get given a separate pot of sauce. 

kFJVH.jpg

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

A lot of Derbyshire dialect crosses over with Yorkshire - code instead of cold etc

One word I found that accurately marks a Derby accent is polo (or rolo or solo)

I can't really write down the nuance of the pronunciation but most people pronouce the two syllables to rhyme with the same way they pronounce sew (a button), row (your boat), low (self esteem), (Edgar Allan) Poe - but Derby people don't, we flatten the O in a way that we don't with those other words. Try it and you'll see what I mean

I pronounce polo as po-lo and my missus calls me posh, she pronounces it pol-lo.

I've had to explain the difference betwen 'alright', 'alright' and 'alright' with varying inflections to my Leicester born wife.

1. Not impressed, but it'll do, just about.

2. Fair to middlin'

3. Pretty good.

Middlin's another one, but I think it's more Yorkshire.

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Always thought it was a Stokie thing - now that accent does grate on me

3 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

The mix is definitely local asked for a fish and a mix in a chippy in Sheffield they looked at me gone out. 

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Always thought it was a Stokie thing - now tgat accent really does grate on me

Polo is pronounced poal-o. (Rhymes with Marco Goalo).

Code instead of cold.

Me owd.

West-cutt rather than waist coat.

Mon instead of man.

Cob and duck are a given.

Mix at the chippy seems more of a city thing - I'd never heard of it in South Derbyshire.

Always associated looook and boook and cooook with Stokies.

What about 

int - isn't

want - wasn't 

nowt and owt

wunna/wunt - wouldn't 

canna/ **** (sounds better in context! e.g. "I **** open it)- can't 

dunt - doesn't 

Are they East Midlands things? I use dunt, wunt, want, **** and int. I've tried to cut them out as it sounds like full on bumpkin talk.

You don't hear "eh up..." much in the south either? 

Eh up mate, yeah i'm alright ta duck. Int this weather *****

Archived