Thorne/Huddlestone

DarkFruitsRam7

Midfield Pairing  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Could we have a bit of 4-3-1-2?

Vydra in the hole,Martin/Nugent Winnall As the 2.Especially whilst Lawrence is injured.

Unfair on Huddlestone but if it has to be a 2 then GT and JL.Is there a better 2 in the division?

Unfair on weimann as well after his last few performances, completely change the line up to drop a player in form to try to force one in that hasn’t contributed yet ?

Do we need Joe Ledley in some home games? When teams come to sit in and be hard to beat do we need a specific defensive midfielder? Thorne could be brought in for JL, he’s somewhere in between huddlestone and Lesley in that he can spray passes everywhere but also has some defensive nouse. So maybe huddlestone and Thorne for those games?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can’t really vote on that one, 

ledley - we have lost one game with him playing! So he plays! 

Huddlestone - was excellent on Saturday at Barnsley and we have had some great results with him playing

Thorne - we know that he can be tremendous and he is a great option - but is he staying ? Either he signs another contract at the terms offered or we sell in January unless he wants to walk away on a free in the summer 

Johnson- I will add him in there as I can’t see him getting many starting chances currently 

Thorne needs time to adapt, he like many of the 2014 class before him is either stuck in that way of playing, or perhaps it better suits him. I echo what the above poster said Huddlestone at Barnsley was class above. Aginat Burton Thorne slowed the play down so often in a game when we had to be direct and quicker to get their players out of position. He seemed content to keep possession for possesion sake and play safe passes infront of them, and that reminded me of the bad times under McClaren

17 hours ago, cannable said:

Huddlestone at at centre-half for Davies, George and Vydra. 

Ipswich attacked so little it was pointless having Davies playing and Burton were the first team to leave a man on Keogh which left Davies trying to bring it forward. 

Could be worth doing, especially if we end up in the situation we had with Clement in which team LET Shackell have the ball.

I was thinking this when we saw how much Davis was giving the ball away against Burton, Huddlestones distribution would’ve been a bonus.

As someone who considers a fit and on form (injury record aside) George Thorne to be one of the best players in the division, ideally he would be in my starting eleven every week whether for Huddlestone or Ledley. I do, however, suspect that he is not in Rowett's plans in the long term (just a gut feeling!) 

I get the impression that if Huddlestone and Ledley are both fit, they play. They seem to be Rowett's 'go to' partnership. I just wonder how long the 'getting back to fitness' narrative will continue before it moves from being a reason to an excuse, and obviously so. 

Thorne is too good a player to be satisfied with bench warming and at some point (I speculate!) both he and Rowett's priorities and views will begin to differ regarding his place in the pecking order and ultimately whether he stays or not. 

Archived