Thorne/Huddlestone

DarkFruitsRam7

Midfield Pairing  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the return of George Thorne and the success of Tom Huddlestone in recent weeks, GR has the tough task of deciding who to select to play next to Joe Ledley (assuming that Ledley will always play).

Thorne looked good against Burton, gaining himself a place in the EFL team of the week and not appearing to be lacking any fitness. I would argue that he is Derby's, and arguably the league's, most complete player. He has it all: passing, touch, tackling, strength, the ability to surge through the middle, with or without the ball, and the knack of scoring the odd belter. For me, a fit George Thorne starts every week, no questions asked.

However, we all know Thorne can succumb to niggles if too much is demanded of him. Plus, after a slow start, Huddlestone has been a lot better lately and was fantastic on Saturday. He's probably got a better passing range than Thorne and it would be very harsh to drop him after his performance at Barnsley.

I believe Rowett will stick with Huddlestone for the Villa game, and will continue to stick with him if he plays well. However, I do think he'll rotate when we have three games in a week (I'm looking at the Christmas period), and those games would be Thorne's chance to impress. 

Regardless of who you prefer, it's great that there's even a debate about who should be starting in the middle. In recent years, we've been in a desperate rush to get Thorne back, which has resulted in injuries. We can now feel safe with Huddlestone playing, and I think it benefits both Thorne and Derby in the long-term having a highly competent, experienced player to ease the pressure on Thorne. Even though I don't think Huddlestone particularly suits Rowett's style of play (Thorne does IMO), his very presence allows Thorne to take his time in recovery, and I'm sure his experience has played a part in our newfound steel and resilience. 

With those two competing for their places, Ledley's defensive excellence and the emerging prospects of Guy, Vernam and Elsnik, I'm very happy with our midfield options at the minute.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Could we revert to 4-3-2-1 with Ledley and Huddlestone providing the base for Thorne to play a more advanced role in the three and Vydra and Weimann sitting behind Martin?

This would work well if lawrence is out for a long length of time.

I thought Huddlestone was immense on Saturday, calm on the ball every time he touched it and put some really neat passes together setting us off on the Counter attack.

Ledley also broke stuff up really well and looked to give the ball to huddlestone for him to distribute it to the more attacking players.

Thorne has to fight for his place in this team, no doubt he is an outstanding player but he doesn't walk into our side anymore. For now, he can do his bit in the side whilst coming back from a big injury and playing his part in games when the other two need a break.

a lad coming back from a huge injury and two 30 year olds, there's no doubt they've all got ta part to play this season. 3 class players for 2 positions is perfect.

Just enjoy it lads..

48 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Could we revert to 4-3-2-1 with Ledley and Huddlestone providing the base for Thorne to play a more advanced role in the three and Vydra and Weimann sitting behind Martin?

It's a sexy formation/player combination on paper.

48 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Thorne at home Huddlestone away?

I have to say that was my immediate thought aswell. There is more of a buccaneer about Thorne and he might provide the added impetus we need against away teams that sit back. ..

It's a bit of a Jono "theory" which might be complete ********ks but it looks good on paper ? 

31 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

It's a sexy formation/player combination on paper.

Probably c@@p in practice.

It seems we play best when the fans are up in arms about selection.

However I think all concerned in my suggested  team  like to play through the middle rather than down the flanks.

10 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Probably c@@p in practice.

It seems we play best when the fans are up in arms about selection.

However I think all concerned in my suggested  team  like to play through the middle rather than down the flanks.

That's ok, as long as the full backs provide the width, which is ok with Ledley and Hudds dropping in to cover, but a big ask of Baird and Fozzy.

Worth a try when playing at home against a park the bus outfit, at least.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Huddlestone at at centre-half for Davies, George and Vydra. 

Ipswich attacked so little it was pointless having Davies playing and Burton were the first team to leave a man on Keogh which left Davies trying to bring it forward. 

Could be worth doing, especially if we end up in the situation we had with Clement in which team LET Shackell have the ball.

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

Before Sat I’d say go with Thorne and Ledley ... after Saturday I’d go Thorne and Hudds ... but all three are okay I just prefer the creativity and general je ne sais croix X factor of King George 

Agree, Although in reality I think it depends on the nature of the mids they might face. I'd prefer George if "they" have the sort of terriers that move the ball more quickly than the average. 

Could well see see 433 with ledley and hudds holding ,Thorne most advanced with vydra nugent wieman if Lawrence injured ,

theres lots of options for rowett though , the fitness/ availability of Lawrence will be a big factor 

Archived