Lawrence injury - need another winger?

RamNut

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No need to buy another unless we were going to buy a take us to the next lever winger, which we weren't.

We've got OK championship wide forwards to cover and being all grass is greener about other OK championship wide forwards/wingers isn't a big deal this January.

Bennett and thomas, for me make the cover (assuming Anya is just waiting to leave and not getting into the plans)

On 09/12/2017 at 19:03, EnigmaRam said:

Russell, Johnson, Bennett, Thomas. We should be alright

You’d like to think so but I don’t!  Russell never was and never will be a winger.He’s always tried hard but at Dundee Utd he was a semi decent striker who played off a centre forward until we tried to transform him into something he isn’t.Johnson isn’t a winger,has no genuine pace or trickery but is always useful as a squad player.Bennett will always be that player who never lived up to expectations but I can see him succeeding as a goal scorer at a lower level.Thomas looks a decent prospect and I’d be happy to see him as a sub in the case of an injury crisis.If he was pitched in now as we’re solidifying a top 6 spot,he could be hammered by the experienced pros he’d be up against.The odd 15/20 mins as a sub in a game we’re winning easily might be a better option.

As for the January window,it’s a nightmare! Clubs ask for silly money as they know buyers are desperate and that’s when mistakes are made.Rowett has already said there’ll be no additions unless there are outgoings.I’m definitely expecting Anya,Shackell and maybe Bent to leave in January and.if they do ,I’d be happy to see Ryan Kent in on loan or,try and sign Grosicki,the winger at Hull who is equally good on either wing.

9 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

You’d like to think so but I don’t!  Russell never was and never will be a winger.He’s always tried hard but at Dundee Utd he was a semi decent striker who played off a centre forward until we tried to transform him into something he isn’t.Johnson isn’t a winger,has no genuine pace or trickery but is always useful as a squad player.Bennett will always be that player who never lived up to expectations but I can see him succeeding as a goal scorer at a lower level.Thomas looks a decent prospect and I’d be happy to see him as a sub in the case of an injury crisis.If he was pitched in now as we’re solidifying a top 6 spot,he could be hammered by the experienced pros he’d be up against.The odd 15/20 mins as a sub in a game we’re winning easily might be a better option.

As for the January window,it’s a nightmare! Clubs ask for silly money as they know buyers are desperate and that’s when mistakes are made.Rowett has already said there’ll be no additions unless there are outgoings.I’m definitely expecting Anya,Shackell and maybe Bent to leave in January and.if they do ,I’d be happy to see Ryan Kent in on loan or,try and sign Grosicki,the winger at Hull who is equally good on either wing.

Great post agree with every word especially Kent and Grosicki  can't see Hull letting him go though 

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

It's on the club website that Lawrence visited a school and played dodgeball. Is this an old story or does it mean the injury isn't that bad after all? 

He's played quite a few dodgy balls but we still need him back quick... Any updates ?

Couple of weeks is fine.

When players get injured, it's a chance for other players to step up. Despite what some people think, this squad is fairly deep and consistently talented, a lot of our players would walk into the majority of teams in the league.

We've seen it recently with Weimann, who now looks twice the player he's ever done at Derby after stepping into the side. Chris Baird in the absence of Andre Wisdom is snigger example, that's the second season in a row for him.

Lawrence will have to work just as hard to get back in the team as he will have to work to get healthy again.

41 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Couple of weeks is fine.

When players get injured, it's a chance for other players to step up. Despite what some people think, this squad is fairly deep and consistently talented, a lot of our players would walk into the majority of teams in the league.

We've seen it recently with Weimann, who now looks twice the player he's ever done at Derby after stepping into the side. Chris Baird in the absence of Andre Wisdom is snigger example, that's the second season in a row for him.

Lawrence will have to work just as hard to get back in the team as he will have to work to get healthy again.

Agree with this post, Russell would play for 95 percent of the reams in the championship, never lets us down and Wiemann has been a different player since Gary has arrived, so no need to panic buy,  plenty of quality in the squad, no need to add to it, trust the players we have, and get rid of the dead wood like, Shackell, Anya, Bent and Butterfield on a permanent deal.

8 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Couple of weeks is fine.

Racist

13 hours ago, rcarso1 said:

You’d like to think so but I don’t!  Russell never was and never will be a winger.He’s always tried hard but at Dundee Utd he was a semi decent striker who played off a centre forward until we tried to transform him into something he isn’t.

At the end of the day he’s a professional footballer and should be able to play wherever the manager chooses.

1 hour ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

At the end of the day he’s a professional footballer and should be able to play wherever the manager chooses.

Not really true is it. What you mean is he will play wherever the manager chooses. I think he's happy to do that as well.

Archived