WiFi Boost

mrdave85

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I think some Powerline WiFi extenders exist. The thing is it’ll be a second network unless you give it the same network name as the rest of the WiFi.  That way, it’ll connect to the strongest seamlessly. 

I don't know how much of a issue this is but my eclectics are old, the cables are black and red rather than blue and brown also the fuses are fuse wire. Also does it have to be on the same ring main? or the fact it "comes" from the same fuse panel what matters?

1 hour ago, Hucknall Ram said:

I don't know how much of a issue this is but my eclectics are old, the cables are black and red rather than blue and brown also the fuses are fuse wire. Also does it have to be on the same ring main? or the fact it "comes" from the same fuse panel what matters?

Good heavens, you still got that old fuse box? ?

On 12/4/2017 at 15:06, StivePesley said:

Also - on the subject of Powerline adapters, do we not have at least one resident sparky on the forums?

I heard that powerline adapters were banned in the US but I was never quite sure why. Same reason why I never understood why the most powerful nation on earth have such wimpy 110 voltage on their mains

If they are banned in the US then I should probably tell my head office about that as they use them in Washington.

5 hours ago, Hucknall Ram said:

I don't really know a lot about them tbh. can the second adapter became a wifi signal from where it plugged in? or are these just for ethernet devices. Everything I want in the attic is connected via wifi

You can get Powerline adapters with Wifi Built in 

e.g Amazon

I have loads of powerline adaptors and some are good and some are bad , I would avoid TP Link branded ones as I find these disconnect the most especially when streaming video

Though it sticks in my throat to say it:lol:  I find the BT ones are the best 

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If they are banned in the US then I should probably tell my head office about that as they use them in Washington.

I may have imagined it, or I may be thinking of the wireless channels 12 & 13 which are banned in the US.

From memory it's to do with the radio inteference. As your electric copper wire is designed to carry electricity it doesn't shield the network signal very well and acts as a big long attena. Most likely they have more stringent telecom/radio regulations on it than we do in Europe, rather than banned

27 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I may have imagined it, or I may be thinking of the wireless channels 12 & 13 which are banned in the US.

From memory it's to do with the radio inteference. As your electric copper wire is designed to carry electricity it doesn't shield the network signal very well and acts as a big long attena. Most likely they have more stringent telecom/radio regulations on it than we do in Europe, rather than banned

It's not beyond my company to have either A) not noticed it wasn't allowed or B) they realise and don't give a ****

Archived