U23’s v Boro

Day

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, David said:

7pm Kick Off

Thank goodness for that! I feared Bent would be back in the first team squad tomorrow after he is featured in The Ram.

It was like playing with ten men the other night for the under 23s and you could see he was determined not to go off. They warmed Zanzala up several times but Benty kept indicating he wanted to stay on. I suspect he could have played all night the way he was just ambling around the pitch. Must be frustrating for the young lads who want to win.

I love Bent as a character and I think he'll make a great pundit but I'm not sure what he will be able to offer us for these last few months of his contract that we haven't already got. He's been a top class player I know, but is now a luxury in a hard-working side, whether that's the under 23s or the first team.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Thank goodness for that! I feared Bent would be back in the first team squad tomorrow after he is featured in The Ram.

It was like playing with ten men the other night for the under 23s and you could see he was determined not to go off. They warmed Zanzala up several times but Benty kept indicating he wanted to stay on. I suspect he could have played all night the way he was just ambling around the pitch. Must be frustrating for the young lads who want to win.

I love Bent as a character and I think he'll make a great pundit but I'm not sure what he will be able to offer us for these last few months of his contract that we haven't already got. He's been a top class player I know, but is now a luxury in a hard-working side, whether that's the under 23s or the first team.

Bent in his prime was better than anything we have or have had for some years. How many circa 10 million transfers has he gone for?

Sadly he is a different player these days and I think the way most teams play in the modern day doesnt suit him either, he doesnt have the same pace he used to have.

So I wouldnt even call him a luxury. He will get you a certain amount of goals if you play him, but the last season and a half has shown he contributes very little if he isnt scoring. That sad, the way we play at the moment, ball over the top, and plenty of percentage crosses into the box would probably suit him, more so than any mcclaren style football.

Id still rather Nugent or Winnall in the team ahead of him any day of the week

23 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Bent in his prime was better than anything we have or have had for some years. How many circa 10 million transfers has he gone for?

Sadly he is a different player these days and I think the way most teams play in the modern day doesnt suit him either, he doesnt have the same pace he used to have.

So I wouldnt even call him a luxury. He will get you a certain amount of goals if you play him, but the last season and a half has shown he contributes very little if he isnt scoring. That sad, the way we play at the moment, ball over the top, and plenty of percentage crosses into the box would probably suit him, more so than any mcclaren style football.

Id still rather Nugent or Winnall in the team ahead of him any day of the week

Jager  Yoyu right in his prime he was a lot better than anything we've got or had recently The trouble is he's been a bench warmer for most of the last six years Funny your right our system really would suit him at the moment He must be the only player to miss four months through injuring himself taking a penalty 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Agree. 

I was pretty annoyed when I saw him waving off the subs. 

I find it extremely counterproductive to be giving the guy playing time at the expense of younger players playing when a) he’s prob 5th choice striker even when fit, and  b) surely won’t be at the club next season and c) showed such little contribution v Leicester u23.

is this just a case of Rowett playing fair and consistent with the bloated first team squad he’s got ?

4 hours ago, angieram said:

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Agree. 

I was pretty annoyed when I saw him waving off the subs.

Come on guys, if Wassall wanted to take him off, he would have! A more likely scenario was to give him as many minutes as possible and no one expected to be as fit as he is.

3 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Come on guys, if Wassall wanted to take him off, he would have! A more likely scenario was to give him as many minutes as possible and no one expected to be as fit as he is.

I'm 54 and a fat git and I could've lasted 90 minutes by playing how he did.

Work mate text me telling me Calum Macdonald has signed on loan to Barrow afc. Couldn’t really see anything on the derby website. This is off Barrow’s web page. We are delighted to confirm the signing of Calum Macdonald  on a youth loan deal from Derby County.

The young defender joins us until the 1st February 2018 and is eligible to play in the FA Trophy.

He was Derby County’s Under-23s player of the year for the 2016/17 season and his first-year as a professional could not have gone much better. He was a regular standout player, either at left back or centre back, making 21 appearances in Premier League 2 Division 1.

His form also earned international recognition as he was called up to the Scotland Under-21s squad, whilst he was also named amongst the substitutes for Derby’s senior team in their final home game of the 2016/17 season against Wolves. What’s more impressive is that all of that came within a year of Macdonald earning his first professional contract in May 2016 after helping Derby County’s then Under-21s squad to the Division 2 title.

The full back made his full debut for the squad in February 2016 in a 2-1 win at Wolves and was a near mainstay for the rest of the season as the Rams went on to be promoted. Having combined that with a number of impressive appearances for the Under-18s squad, the 2015/16 season proved to be hugely successful for the defender.

Archived