Pardew appointed at WBA

TibshelfRam

A plum job for Pardew. Quite how this guy keeps getting appointed to jobs like this is beyond me - his track record is not great but it seems like there is a real dearth of talent which results in the same managers hopping on a off the managerial merry-go-round.

I fail to see in what other industry or, indeed, what other league, a guy who has been repeatedly dismissed for failure keeps getting plum jobs. At Palace, he was sacked after barely winning a game for 18 months only to land a job at a bigger, better and more financed club.

Look at his track record everywhere and he has an ability to pick teams up for a couple of months (read West Ham, Charlton, Newcastle, Crystal Palace) but then suffer a MAJOR slide and an inability to achieve or sustain anything in the medium to long term. I suspect this will happen again - a few good results and he'll be touted to succeed Southgate at the FA only for WBA to then, rather predictably, slide and slide and slide. Pardew will be out and looking for his next top job which he will, inevitably, land and WBA will be looking for their next manager... again.

I would've loved to see a refreshing appointment. This could've been a step up for Howe or somebody similar. Previously I even touted Clement who could get the best out of a side with a solid defence and decent wingers and who seems to have reached a dead end at Swansea following the sales of their two best players and failure to replace them adequately - something I don't blame him for.

But, instead, he we go: same old, same old. And when it goes wrong, as I have just predicted, I await the inevitable appointment of Big Sam or David Moyes. Some things will never change.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, KentRam said:

A plum job for Pardew. Quite how this guy keeps getting appointed to jobs like this is beyond me - his track record is not great but it seems like there is a real dearth of talent which results in the same managers hopping on a off the managerial merry-go-round.

I fail to see in what other industry or, indeed, what other league, a guy who has been repeatedly dismissed for failure keeps getting plum jobs. At Palace, he was sacked after barely winning a game for 18 months only to land a job at a bigger, better and more financed club.

Look at his track record everywhere and he has an ability to pick teams up for a couple of months (read West Ham, Charlton, Newcastle, Crystal Palace) but then suffer a MAJOR slide and an inability to achieve or sustain anything in the medium to long term. I suspect this will happen again - a few good results and he'll be touted to succeed Southgate at the FA only for WBA to then, rather predictably, slide and slide and slide. Pardew will be out and looking for his next top job which he will, inevitably, land and WBA will be looking for their next manager... again.

I would've loved to see a refreshing appointment. This could've been a step up for Howe or somebody similar. Previously I even touted Clement who could get the best out of a side with a solid defence and decent wingers and who seems to have reached a dead end at Swansea following the sales of their two best players and failure to replace them adequately - something I don't blame him for.

But, instead, he we go: same old, same old. And when it goes wrong, as I have just predicted, I await the inevitable appointment of Big Sam or David Moyes. Some things will never change.

They've tried a couple of unknowns who were even worse in Alan Irvine and pepe mel  (presumably no relation to morris, mel).

Those on the managerial merry go round are the luckiest people. They get appointed, inevitably fail soon or later, get sacked with big compo, do a bit of punditry while taking some sunny holidays in between, get appointed again, get the new manager bounce and lauded as brilliant, then it all starts going down hill and start all over again. They are bomb proof. Look at that dodgy character who got booted from the England job after a few minutes now back on it. Truly baffling. 

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

Those on the managerial merry go round are the luckiest people. They get appointed, inevitably fail soon or later, get sacked with big compo, do a bit of punditry while taking some sunny holidays in between, get appointed again, get the new manager bounce and lauded as brilliant, then it all starts going down hill and start all over again. They are bomb proof. Look at that dodgy character who got booted from the England job after a few minutes now back on it. Truly baffling. 

makes you wonder what the heck George Graham did wrong:ph34r: and what about curbishley?

50 minutes ago, Spanish said:

makes you wonder what the heck George Graham did wrong:ph34r: and what about curbishley?

Curbs really intrigues me. Surely his achievements at Charlton warrant him another job? I mean, seriously, he had Charlton contending for Champions League - Charlton! Just looking at them now demonstrates what a job that was. And, to be fair, he did well at West Ham - pulled off the great escape and then finished top 10 in his second season.

Clearly, that warrants another job. So, surely something more must have gone on.

• 2 months later...
On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:10, KentRam said:

Hate to say I told you so but, I told you so. Interesting to see the names in the frame:

Marco Silva is favourite. Closely followed by some of the usual suspects from the carousel (presumably their horses have been spinning round for too long and they want to get off) - Harry Redknapp and Mark Hughes.

Tough job - look like they're down already. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go for a Redknapp and then rebuild with someone like McInnes in the summer (on the assumption they do pull the trigger on Pards).

But it does rather beg the question - when will these clubs learn and stop appointing the same men time after time after time? I really hope that, should I ever be sacked for repeated failure, 2,3,4,5 times, organisations will be queuing up to appoint me. Somehow, I doubt it.

On 30/11/2017 at 08:33, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

With this appointment made....

”I would like to take this opportunity to welcome WBA to the Championship next season” ??

+1. Would like again.

Archived