Sign in to follow this  
DC-1975

Kids and mobile phones

When my youngest started secondary school my dad bought her a mobile complete with contract in his name which I strongly advised him not to do .My two daughters were the apple of his eye so along came phone with contract and all her mates at school couldn't believe her luck .

Now my daughter is adicted to all things technical so along comes my old man's first mobile bill of around £350 for the first month .Needless to say that was the end of her contract mobile and a lesson learnt by my dad.

22 minutes ago, rynny said:

He has a tablet so it isn't like he actually needs a phone. I mean what 8 year old needs to make telephone calls? 

First rule of having a phone is you dont use it as a phone.. 

Get him a phone ya grumpy old git.. :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah I don’t think voice assistants are designed for kids voices!

Good one.

BTW, anyone know if there are any more "funny" Siri questions - other than "What does the fox say"?

I got my lad one last Xmas as I'd become sick & f***in tired of him badgering me for mine every time we were out so he could play f***in Pokemon Go!!!  Popped into EE and they sorted me out a nice little Huwaei handset for £20 extra a month on my account.  The girl was kind enough to sort out all the restrictions on Google Play, so he can't buy anything that isn't free, and anything deemed adult.  The ironic thing now is that he hasn't played Pokemon Go in 6 months!!!

If it was up to me, he wouldn't have had one for a few years, but once the Mrs introduced him to Pokemon Go, there was no going back.  Similarly if your daughter's mates have all got one, there's not much you can go about it, other than making you seem like the worst dad in the world...

Just make sure non of her mates are Polish/East European and get sent one by a relative "back home".  My lad's best mate is half Polish, and only after exchanging a load of texts with him, did we find out it had a Polish SIM in it, and I'd been charged for texting overseas.  I could've f***in killed him!!!

Edited by ramsbottom

1 hour ago, David said:

Ring his mate, see if he wants to go for a fruit shoot down the swings at the park?

Ring school to let them know he won’t be in today, doesn’t feel well when skiving?

He has Roblox on his tablet to message his friend for that and he has no chance of skiving, we live to far away for him to walk so I drive him and "wait with the youngest" until the youngest goes in, which just happens to be after the eldest has gone in.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Mine won't be getting phones until they start senior school.

Even then it will only be so they can ring me up if @Missram doesn't them go to toilet.

They wouldn't be going to the toilet during lesson, and if I caught them using the phone during class time I would confiscate it.

Last November, my grandson was given an iphone 6 for his 6th birthday by his dad, estranged from my daughter. His atitude is he can buy affection. What the hell is a kid of 6 going to do with an iphone 6.

It doesn't cut any ice with my daughter who, having been knocked about quite a bit, managed to get a restraining order on him. The man's a dangerous menace. You can't make like decicions for your children, sadly.

7 hours ago, Missram said:

They wouldn't be going to the toilet during lesson, and if I caught them using the phone during class time I would confiscate it.

Haha TEACH-BOT.

16 hours ago, Missram said:

Yeah but if you let them go to the loo, you could then ring them to chase them up if they take too long?

Don’t sit on the sidelines, let your voice be heard!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.