Will Hughes Watch

David

My doubts about growett started with his treatment of will hughes and his reluctance to play him.

It was symptomatic of everything that was wrong. 

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, nottingram said:

Good article. Also confirms Rowett told him he didn’t fancy him. Hopefully Frank will be the first manager since Mac1 (and tbf, Mac2) that doesn’t set us back years during his tenure.

There's some really interesting stuff in there. Rowett being an idiot who wouldn't know a footballer if his life depended on it is old news to most Derby fans, but Hughes' praise for Clough and some of our senior players is good to hear. Clough could be frustratingly negative at times, but his positive reaction to getting a talent like Hughes showed bravery and was absolutely key to the player's development. We maybe take it for granted that Hughes would've made it simply because of his obvious talent, but Clough didn't faff about loaning him out to league 2 to get kicked around, he put him straight in the team and started building towards playing the type of football that would allow Hughes to flourish.

The article mentions Hughes was schooled at Repton, but doesn't mention anything about the club. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought we sent all our scholars there.

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Its not new information EHR, if I could be arsed I'd trawl back through the forum to last summer when I posted that Will had left because Rowett didn't want him.

It was obvious then and confirmed by how snake boy wanted to play.

Aye, the leaving him on the bench for the nine games when he first took over was a clue but until you hear it from the horse’s mouth as it were, it’s just opinion however well intentioned/informed. I still doff my cap to you mind, you called it, Will confirmed it.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

There's some really interesting stuff in there. Rowett being an idiot who wouldn't know a footballer if his life depended on it is old news to most Derby fans, but Hughes' praise for Clough and some of our senior players is good to hear. Clough could be frustratingly negative at times, but his positive reaction to getting a talent like Hughes showed bravery and was absolutely key to the player's development. We maybe take it for granted that Hughes would've made it simply because of his obvious talent, but Clough didn't faff about loaning him out to league 2 to get kicked around, he put him straight in the team and started building towards playing the type of football that would allow Hughes to flourish.

The article mentions Hughes was schooled at Repton, but doesn't mention anything about the club. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought we sent all our scholars there.

They only sent two to Repton and that was many years ago, neither made the grade. Will going to Repton was nothing to do with Derby. 

To be fair he didn’t say Rowett thought he wasn’t a good player, just that he wasn’t Rowetts type of player and wouldn’t play AS much, not that he wouldn’t play.

i read it as Will decided he had to leave, and it was his decision. See the bit where he talks about not getting much game time and he says “I thought I’d made the wrong decision”

All this goes to show what an awful manager Rowett is. Hughes was clearly a class above this level, and any decent manager could recognise that. I'm just thankful we're rid of him, it's just a shame he was able to get rid of Hughes. Glad to see Hughesy doing well though, hope he does us proud and gets in the England squad.

On 27/08/2018 at 02:57, Carl Sagan said:

Watford's Javi Gracia has rather better judgement than Rowett: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/725626/Will-Hughes-Watford-England-call-up-Javi-Gracia-manager who says of his England credentials:

"I think he is ready. I knew from the first day I saw him that he was different. He's a special player with great quality in all the details.

"He's a clever player: he can see the spaces and you can see his quality in every touch..."

and so on. Do hope he's finally in the squad this week. And, if he is, Southgate doesn't play him as the CDM as he moronically used to for the U21s!

Never understand why so many managers get angst for playing him deep. Clough played him deep and it’s arguably the position in which he had most influence for us. 

Whilst I think he’d be nice as one of the two #8s, keeping the ball and providing a bit of control in the final third, he’d still be good feeding Alli and Lingard. 

Archived