World Cup Draw

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I always like to play the game where you take the 1st letter of each team in a group and use it to make a four letter word.

Argentina are in a group which spells Inca, which is a good omen for a South American team.

The only other words I can see comes from the hosts group A.

Russia
Saudi Arabia
Egypt
Uruguay

Ruse = how they ended up with that group.

User = an accurate description of most Russian athletes recently.

SURE = brand of deodorant alternatively used as a basting agent by serial Uruguayan 'biter' Luis Suarez.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

First and fourth I agree with, second and third are never gonna happen. If there's money in sports, it goes to some ******* ice-hockey... which I guess is good, as there are about six countries where it's played and success is guaranteed.

I was close to moving to Reykjavik a few months ago, didn't happen in the end.

Don't tell me you were in Reykjavík and didn't let me know.  Haven't met a fellow Ram in ages.

25 minutes ago, Andicis said:

English players play against the Belgium players week in week out in the Premier League, it's an advantage as they'll know how to play against them. ''This is England'' isn't a valid argument in anything. Poland have Lewandowski, we have Harry Kane who scores just as many goals, if they rated themselves that highly they would have played more than 1 friendly at risk of their world ranking. Name some of Colombia's top players? Senegal is ranked below England in the world ranking, so fifa sees Senegal as a lesser team than England, I don't see a reason why anyone from England shouldn't too. We shouldn't underestimate our opposition, but we shouldn't underestimate ourselves either. 

Lewandowski scored more goals than anyone else in the qualifying and they play to his strengths, Im not sure England play to Kane's  strengths.  John stones is key to any success for England. I criticised him previously but he has transformed into a top defender thanks to the guidance from Guardiola.

Colombia drew with Brazil in the World Cup qualifiers. Don't underestimate them and they still have James Rodriguez who is coming into good form again, Cuadrado, Falcao who is in the best form since his atletico Madrid days,Davison Sanchez who is doing very well for Spurs and many other players doing consistently well in top European leagues.

Sir please ignore the FIFA rankings, they do not mean anything . Switzerland and Peru are ahead of England, does that mean they are better than England?

Underestimate Senegal at your peril(not you but England fans in general). I'm part African and one thing that African countries do not lack is passion. The players of all African nations feel like it is life or death when putting their national Jersies on. England do not have the same passion as Senegal and as we saw in the euros, passion can see teams do very well as seen with Iceland against England.

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Lewandowski scored more goals than anyone else in the qualifying and they play to his strengths, Im not sure England play to Kane's  strengths.  John stones is key to any success for England. I criticised him previously but he has transformed into a top defender thanks to the guidance from Guardiola.

Colombia drew with Brazil in the World Cup qualifiers. Don't underestimate them and they still have James Rodriguez who is coming into good form again, Cuadrado, Falcao who is in the best form since his atletico Madrid days,Davison Sanchez who is doing very well for Spurs and many other players doing consistently well in top European leagues.

Sir please ignore the FIFA rankings, they do not mean anything . Switzerland and Peru are ahead of England, does that mean they are better than England?

Underestimate Senegal at your peril(not you but England fans in general). I'm part African and one thing that African countries do not lack is passion. The players of all African nations feel like it is life or death when putting their national Jersies on. England do not have the same passion as Senegal and as we saw in the euros, passion can see teams do very well as seen with Iceland against England.

England drew with Brazil, too, with a half strength team. Falcao is shocking at playing vs Premier League defenders, as shown by his pitiful showing in England, Davison Sanchez is a good player but we shouldn't really fear a team for a centre half, and again Cuadrado didn't nothing when he played in England, so perhaps doesn't suit to playing against English defenders. You really believe Senegal would beat England? You're not really talking up their ability at all, you're just saying they'd try their best, which is a given at any world cup - all sides should be doing that no matter what. There is no reason England can't beat any of group H.  Lewandowski and Kane play very similarly, and score domestically similar numbers of goals, so I'm not sure he's a reason for Poland to be rated more highly, considering an awful lot of Lewandowski's qualifying goals were vs the likes of Armenia, and from the penalty spot.

Just now, Andicis said:

England drew with Brazil, too, with a half strength team. Falcao is shocking at playing vs Premier League defenders, as shown by his pitiful showing in England, Davison Sanchez is a good player but we shouldn't really fear a team for a centre half, and again Cuadrado didn't nothing when he played in England, so perhaps doesn't suit to playing against English defenders. You really believe Senegal would beat England? You're not really talking up their ability at all, you're just saying they'd try their best, which is a given at any world cup - all sides should be doing that no matter what. There is no reason England can't beat any of group H.  Lewandowski and Kane play very similarly, and score domestically similar numbers of goals, so I'm not sure he's a reason for Poland to be rated more highly, considering an awful lot of Lewandowski's qualifying goals were vs the likes of Armenia, and from the penalty spot.

You can't possibly be basing Falcao on his time in the premier league? He was coming off a career threatening injury in two very rigid teams at Man Utd and Chelsea. Falcao destroyed Chelsea when fit and he ripped Spurs and Man City to shreds last season in the champions league. He is a completely different player now he is fully fit. 

The Brazil game was a World Cup qualifier whereas against England it was a friendly, no comparison there. Cuadrado was an important part of the juve team to reach the champions league final last season. It wasn't playing in England that was the problem, it was Mourinho who was the problem(who has a habit of ruining players chances as seen with de Bruyne, Lukaku and salah.)

Yes I really believe that Senegal could beat England. I would say it would be a 50:50 game. There is nothing between the sides. England are very much beatable. They failed to beat the worst Russia team in years at the euros, a poor Slovakia side and lost to Iceland. Poland's group was stronger than England's qualifying group. 

England on paper have good players, Stones, Kane and Rashford are the three I'd fear the most as an opposition fan. As with Belgium, the problem has been the manager in pasts tournaments has not got the best out of them. I just think tactically they are not as astute in the crunch moments. 

Harry Kane’s post was disrespectful to those on the fringes of the squad. Assuming he’s already there.

I’m not going to knock those getting excited about the World Cup.

But it makes me laugh when people just rubbish other teams because they’ve barely heard of their players.

I personally have little faith in England. Why would I? Our last seven competitive matches at major comps has been Italy, Uruguay, Costa Rica, Slovakia, Russia, Wales and Iceland. We won 1 drew 3 lost 3.

England have notoriously struggled at majors since the turn of the millennium. 

In that time we’ve failed to beat the likes of Nigeria, Algeria, USA, Romania, Iceland, Slovakia, Costa Rica, Russia, Sweden....

Panama and Tunisia should be winnable games, but so were the aforementioned.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we failed to get out of the groups. If we do, Poland and Colombia would be a very difficult game.

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

Yeah, but apart from Falcao, Sanchez, Cuadrado, Rodriguez, Bacca, Ospina and Zapata x 2, then who else do Columbia have......? 

Belgium are basically England from 2002 - 2010. "Golden generation", great individuals, but have Roberto Martinez as manager and have too much pressure on them to perform. Plus we are something of a bogey side for them - they've only ever beaten us once in history (we probably ensured this as terms of our alliance prior to WW1).

Was in Lyon in 2016 for their game against Italy and they were massively exposed on the counter attack. Despite keeping the ball nearly all game, they didn't offer anywhere near enough creativity and the Italians kept them at bay quite convincingly (great performances by two masters - Bonucci and Chiellini to be fair).

Think we can top the group with 7 points here. Hopefully we can break Tunisia and Panama down.

Colombia, Senegal, Japan or Poland in round 2 don't exactly strike fear into the hearts. Tough tests no doubt, particularly the two you'd expect to qualify, but would give us a chance of quarter finals at least.

Then with a good performance, we'll get Germany or Brazil and lose, either bravely after some 'injustice' a la 1998, 2002, 2004, on penalties a la most tournaments or with a humiliation.

Quarters and a brave 2-1 loss, some pride restored, go into 2020 with hopes raised and crash out in the group stage is my plucked-from-thin-air prediction.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I know someone who should.

I've long thought that St Kilda could be redeveloped as a prison island (with mined seas, patrol boats, submarines, guard towers etc) where football's worst could serve out exile sentences.

Barton would've made his way there never to return, along with wee Billy, Celtic, Rangers, Celtic fans, rangers fans, robbie savage, most of the Tony Pulis hat thread, all sky pundits, most bbc pundits...where amongst the seaguls they can live out their meagre existence playing celtic v rangers until they all eventually wither and turn to bird food.

Archived