442 Derby County 2007/2008 Season

Inverurie Ram

12 hours ago, RamNut said:

If only new player options 1-4 will improve the team, why also have options 5,6 and 7

Good point. Would options 5,6 and 7 potentially be emergency cover options in case of season-ending injury? Players to keep an eye on maybe? 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billy Davies talks absolute arse. He knew we were buggered that season and he knew he would get a portion of the blame for his frankly terrible transfer dealings so he manufactured his exit so he could sit back and claim he would have done better had he not been the victim of a cruel and calculated stitch up. Pathetic.

I am unwilling to give that little hemorrhoid any benefit of the doubt what so ever.

22 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Billy Davies talks absolute arse. He knew we were buggered that season and he knew he would get a portion of the blame for his frankly terrible transfer dealings so he manufactured his exit so he could sit back and claim he would have done better had he not been the victim of a cruel and calculated stitch up. Pathetic.

I am unwilling to give that little hemorrhoid any benefit of the doubt what so ever.

Love that & will make a note to use it more in conversation :D

odd highlight of that season was when Kenny Miller scored away at Blackburn and for a brief moment we thought we might win an away game.... Obviously we didn't. 

We we're doomed with some of the signings though to be fair. Claude Davis, Andy Todd and Andy Griffin were laughable signings.

4 minutes ago, AshfieldRam said:

We we're doomed with some of the signings though to be fair. Claude Davis, Andy Todd and Andy Griffin were laughable signings.

Still find that signing baffling. He had a decent season beforehand granted, but for £3million? People also forget that we spent £3.5 mill on earnshaw. He was a decent player, but that price was silly. Santa Cruz cost just as much and scored 20 goals that season. Billy makes the point hat you can't compete by only spending £10mill. That may be true, but by spending the majority of that on average championship players doesn't help! Remember Tito villa? £2mill and he scored less than 10 goals in18 months (which, come to think about it, was really good for us at that time actually). Remember feeling optimistic after the 1st game, thinking. 'We looked alright, sort the defence out and we'll be fine'. How wrong I was

I love how at the start of the article, the reporter was apprehensive about his call to King Bill-eh, only to find him in good spirits and wanting to set the record straight.  I can imagine Wee Bill-eh sitting in his bunker, next to the phone, where, as his beard growth indicates, he hasn't moved for nigh on 3 years, waiting for the thing to ring!!!

As usual, it's the same ol' poor Bill-eh getting hard done by, if everyone did exactly as he said, we'd have won the Champions League by now...  What an utter BELL-TARD!!!

Oh and just to confirm his conspiracy theory, yes I'm being paid to write this, in case any football league chairmen are on here looking for an opinion on his character...

6 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I love how at the start of the article, the reporter was apprehensive about his call to King Bill-eh, only to find him in good spirits and wanting to set the record straight.  I can imagine Wee Bill-eh sitting in his bunker, next to the phone, where, as his beard growth indicates, he hasn't moved for nigh on 3 years, waiting for the thing to ring!!!

As usual, it's the same ol' poor Bill-eh getting hard done by, if everyone did exactly as he said, we'd have won the Champions League by now...  What an utter BELL-TARD!!!

Oh and just to confirm his conspiracy theory, yes I'm being paid to write this, in case any football league chairmen are on here looking for an opinion on his character...

The rumours at the time were that Earnshaw was only signed because we couldn’t get Nugent to be fair.

Then the more ludicrous follow-up rumour (which Nugent half-validated) that we were selling Earnshaw and Howard to sign Nuge!

45 minutes ago, cannable said:

The rumours at the time were that Earnshaw was only signed because we couldn’t get Nugent to be fair.

Then the more ludicrous follow-up rumour (which Nugent half-validated) that we were selling Earnshaw and Howard to sign Nuge!

As someone pointed out, his biggest mistake was spunking £5m on signings in the January.  Only Dave Jones was value for money out of that lot, and it screwed the squad harmony...

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

As someone pointed out, his biggest mistake was spunking £5m on signings in the January.  Only Dave Jones was value for money out of that lot, and it screwed the squad harmony...

I’d say Gary Teale was worth the money.

Purely for the comedic value of how atrociously bad he was up until February 2009 when he was reborn as Tealinho.

Mears was probably worth it as well. 

1 hour ago, The Key Club King said:

Despite the awfulness of that season, Billy Davies (for one year only) is still the best manager we have had since Jim Smith.

Absolute miracle of management in getting that team promoted.

It depends what you want because if it’s ‘premiership by all costs’, then it’s fine but we still hold the scars from that approach. It took years to rebalance the first team structure nevermind the youth system/reserves (something Davies simply wasn’t interested in). That and his attitude shatter any positivism I have towards that promotion season I’m afraid.

Atleast under Mclaren (1st time) there was a vision that every single person connected to the club got behind, he personally would take my vote and possibly Burley close behind for his play off season. They didn’t get the accomplishments Davies did, but I have much happier memories

2 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

Despite the awfulness of that season, Billy Davies (for one year only) is still the best manager we have had since Jim Smith.

Absolute miracle of management in getting that team promoted.

I'd still argue what burley achieved on nil budget was better.

Interesting insight that we were planning to get rid of billy in the summer . I think that could have been a good move ... but bringing in Paul Jewell was a disaster he made signings that were just as bad if not worse.

20 hours ago, LB_DCFC said:

Still find that signing baffling. He had a decent season beforehand granted, but for £3million? People also forget that we spent £3.5 mill on earnshaw. He was a decent player, but that price was silly. Santa Cruz cost just as much and scored 20 goals that season. Billy makes the point hat you can't compete by only spending £10mill. That may be true, but by spending the majority of that on average championship players doesn't help! Remember Tito villa? £2mill and he scored less than 10 goals in18 months (which, come to think about it, was really good for us at that time actually). Remember feeling optimistic after the 1st game, thinking. 'We looked alright, sort the defence out and we'll be fine'. How wrong I was

To be fair to Tito Villa, I thought he did fairly well, coming from South America into THAT team and doing ok, certainly a better buy than Earnshaw.

25 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Interesting insight that we were planning to get rid of billy in the summer . I think that could have been a good move ... but bringing in Paul Jewell was a disaster he made signings that were just as bad if not worse.

That's according to Bill-eh, so it's almost certainly b*******..

One of my mates happened to send me this reddit link today which he'd been having a giggle at:

From a couple of years ago and some of the assessment are a little harsh - But amusingly accurate on a lot of them

The thing that most winds me up about Wee Mad Billy is that he complains about not having had enough money and the club going for his third/fourth choices - But why were some of them even on his list! 

£1m for a CM from the Man Utd academy (an attitude we should see MORE) - Who turned out to be a Premier League quality player - Then £3m for a CB who'd had one half-decent Championship season - £3.5m on a forward who'd been decent in the Championship and then barely got game time for us

I mean - If you go up unexpectedly - There's little expectation on you - You have a squad of experienced but fairly untalented players - Why not pump the limited funds into a bunch of 21/22 year olds from the Top Academies? You aren't going to lose anything, might pick up some bargains and set the team up well for the eventual plunge back into the Championship

Archived