442 Derby County 2007/2008 Season

Inverurie Ram

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always important to look at the past, understand it, and make sure by god it never happens again.

I had a lot of time for Billy and got to know him well during his time at Derby and then obviously the red dogs. Perhaps, no I did, see a different persona if you like to how he has been labeled in the press. I always thought he was a top man and great manager. He could motivate any player and was all about team spirit and togetherness. Players on different bonuses wouldn't have helped and that issue should have been addressed much sooner. As for the purchases that season.... Gordon Bennett. So clear that the board at that time messed up and did not buy who we needed to buy.

If we had run things better and kept Billy we wouldn't have had that season. Absolute no doubt about it.

So the lesson learned from it all. Keep the ship sweet with the current players. Ensure that investment is made when the time is needed reflected in the money coming in through premier league football. Guess you could argue having a supporters committee addresses this, naturally wasn't present back in 2007 when questions could and should have been asked more forwardly to the board.

Despite us not playing top flight football at the minute by god are we in a better position. Clear to see that the board of that era had no real ambitions and from a local businessman that is very poor. I mean, you have just gained premier league football, why would you want to sell a club getting all this money from TV? To make a profit and line your pockets I say.

As I say, always important to look at the past and learn from it.

"When you’re playing the elite, you need everybody singing from the same hymn sheet,” Moore says now. “From the very top it wasn’t right – it breeds contempt throughout the club, and a divided house will always fall.”

Get behind your beloved Derby County, stay together, work together, help each other, encourage and reward all together.

Reading game has gone, time to move on, time to try again and be all together now.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

To be fair to Wee Billy he couldn't have made a worse job than Jewell. Nigh on impossible. 

No he would have done slightly better, but keep them up? If he could have signed Etherington and Cole? I’m not being funny but through minimal research Cole scored 2 in 17 06/07 and in 07/08 it was 4 in 31. Davies in his interview basically says he was in his prime and it was the boards fault for not getting him? He also talks if Chelsea match being s turning point, if I remember that game it was the day Chelsea played in second gear the whole match and still got three points? Then Davies did s radio interview having a go at Adam Pearson and the board? Essentially clearing his route to exit. Could be remembering wrong though, hopefully someone can back me?

The board wasn’t blameless but Billy Davies messed up the January before buying too many players, he messed up the summer taking something like a month off to ‘decide his future’, or some rubbish, and then he got out while he could. It’s ok saying ‘I would keep them up’ but he didn’t have the guile to try in the first place.

6 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

No he would have done slightly better, but keep them up? If he could have signed Etherington and Cole? I’m not being funny but through minimal research Cole scored 2 in 17 06/07 and in 07/08 it was 4 in 31. Davies in his interview basically says he was in his prime and it was the boards fault for not getting him? He also talks if Chelsea match being s turning point, if I remember that game it was the day Chelsea played in second gear the whole match and still got three points? Then Davies did s radio interview having a go at Adam Pearson and the board? Essentially clearing his route to exit. Could be remembering wrong though, hopefully someone can back me?

The board wasn’t blameless but Billy Davies messed up the January before buying too many players, he messed up the summer taking something like a month off to ‘decide his future’, or some rubbish, and then he got out while he could. It’s ok saying ‘I would keep them up’ but he didn’t have the guile to try in the first place.

Agreed, I've no prove that he would have kept us and wasnt really implying that.His comments are most likley damage limitation from his point of view. I'm just basing my assumption that he would have collected more points than Jewell on the fact of him being in charge for far less games that season but still picking more points than Jewell. Also on my believe that Jewell is the worst manager we've ever had in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

We were unlucky in the Chelseas game, had a perfectly good goal ruled out for offside at 1-0 down then they scored a goal after a horrific 2 footed challenge by shevchenko on Barnes in the build up to their goal.

8 minutes ago, rynny said:

We were unlucky in the Chelseas game, had a perfectly good goal ruled out for offside at 1-0 down then they scored a goal after a horrific 2 footed challenge by shevchenko on Barnes in the build up to their goal.

Ha, I don’t remember these things overly well. Or at the very least I have just blocked it out of my memory. I seem to remember Chelsea appeared to be a top top side, in that if they needed to they could have really gone up a few gears but never needed to. We saw some teams see us as an opportunity to win that season, hence no let up in games like West Ham/Aston Villa 6-0’s but Chelsea were the team where I thought they are barely trying and were still a class above

If only new player options 1-4 will improve the team, why also have options 5,6 and 7

strange to hear he gets on with gadsby, and i heard that he used to take the wotsit out of gabbo's attempt to buy kenwyne jones.

Archived