Radio Derby Sportscene

Rev

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

But so utterly negative dull & boring he was the only one listening to himself!

I remember him saying “ The linesman’s got thin legs, I never trust a linesman with thin legs”. Still haven’t worked out why that should be!

Ian Hall had the technical knowledge of the game but at the end of his time on RD he became a really grumpy old man - I remember him launching into a 5 minute tirade about the Rams running out to the intro to U2's "Where the streets have no name" . It was the right time to pension him off.

The Tin Man was good, but then allowed his bitterness of the way he felt his Missus was being treated by the club to creep into his observations.

Would love to have a few more cameo appearances by GR, although he is the first to admit that he doesn't have the ability to do a full commentary - maybe have him on one of the microphones during matches with that shower up the road?  

On 11/14/2017 at 10:55, BondJovi said:

In the mid 90's when I first started following football, GR and Radio Derby were my source of information for all things Derby. These days you are almost overwhelmed with reports and match details. GR made me want to listen as he created such wonderful descriptions, overly negative or not, I always enjoyed it. What recent commentators lack is that artistry, the negativity may still be there today with Dawes and Ramage but it isn't wrapped up in clever phrasing and wonderful descriptions.

For a local station we were probably spoilt having someone of GRs quality, what we have had since is more of what you would expect. I do quite enjoy Ramage though...

Absolutely spot-on. "...and it's all gone a little bit inchoate on the far side". Whenever I use that word ("inchoate") I think of Graham Richards. I remember post-match a listener ringing in to comment on the game; it was a brilliant away win but cannot remember anything else (it may have been away to Stoke(?); he actually rang to congratulate GR on his commentary, how he had vividly captured the excitement and brought the game to life, along with fire-cracking atmosphere. The caller then explained that he was blind but had fully envisioned the action from the brilliant similes and metaphors that GR utilized quite naturally throughout. I welled up. Brilliant commentary is exactly that. It brings the game to life. Helped that GR was a barrister I suppose and relied upon verbal intelligence to earn a living but his intonation and cadence of phrase allied with an unassailable passion made him the very best.        

9 hours ago, Zurich Ram said:

Ian Hall had the technical knowledge of the game but at the end of his time on RD he became a really grumpy old man - I remember him launching into a 5 minute tirade about the Rams running out to the intro to U2's "Where the streets have no name" . It was the right time to pension him off.

The Tin Man was good, but then allowed his bitterness of the way he felt his Missus was being treated by the club to creep into his observations.

Would love to have a few more cameo appearances by GR, although he is the first to admit that he doesn't have the ability to do a full commentary - maybe have him on one of the microphones during matches with that shower up the road?  

What happened with Ted’s missus?? Didn’t think George Burley was around then.

On 15/11/2017 at 18:45, Manicsheepreacher said:

That's bloody amazing. We should start a thread entitled chatting with Rams' mums : ) 

In my twenties I was working in a callcentre and doing a spot of cold calling and who should I end up speaking to for three quarters of an hour? Rory Delap's mum! Nearly lost my job : ) 

'Why didn't your lad take those massive long throw ins for us Mrs Delap?'

'Well you see...back then Chris Powell took the throw ins'...and it went on like that. Glorious woman, would have happily got the boot there and then. 

We were in a pub pre match on Delaps  first game for Derby (Blackburn away?)

it was apparent after a few minutes we were stood next to Delaps dad at the bar, he was as proud as punch and telling people how good he was.

On 13/11/2017 at 22:29, sage said:

A lot of people have selective memory of Graham Richards. He was great, but turned into a bitter moaner around 1992 and with Ian Hall made me stop listening to commentaries. Even the lamentable Ed Dawes never managed that.   

Yes this! Him and Ian Hall ruined my listening, they droned on and on with every negative they could dredge up. Bombastic, smug, belittling, all that and more. I dislike him intensely and can’t understand why this fat inflated ego is invited back. 

Was a fan in the early years, because he, like Colin Gibson was the voice of bringing rams news to the fans that couldnt go to games, or indeed when i was too young to go away.

But as others have said, he and Ian Hall made an aging miserable pair.

He was hard to replace at first, but when Ross Fletcher settled in, i remember thinking what a good young commentator who does his research should sound like.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

Was a fan in the early years, because he, like Colin Gibson was the voice of bringing rams news to the fans that couldnt go to games, or indeed when i was too young to go away.

But as others have said, he and Ian Hall made an aging miserable pair.

He was hard to replace at first, but when Ross Fletcher settled in, i remember thinking what a good young commentator who does his research should sound like.

What is fletcher up to these days, he was good.

Archived