A step forward with Rams U23 first team sessions

Curtains

11 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

:thumbsup:

So supports the view that we're not playing long ball, but we are dropping off and conceding possession hence making fewer passes in total.

Thanks - useful data.

Pretty much. 

Actual long balls per game is down on the previous 4 seasons but as you say, we’re conceding possession more so not having the ball to pass, when we do we are sending it long than short 2.7% more than we did under McClaren in 13/14.

What they don’t say is if these stats include passes that go astray, or are these those that find the player.

Also this season obviously isn’t over, those stats could shift over the remaining games and see that percentage lower.

Taken from whoscored.com by the way

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David said:

It’s Sunday, nothing on TV, missus at work so thought I’d look into this long ball more.

On average per game.

17/18 - 67 LB, 339 SP, 1 TB (19.7% LB)

16/17 - 71 LB, 376 SP, 1 TB (18.8% LB)

15/16 - 73 LB, 408 SP, 1 TB (17.8% LB)

14/15 - 70 LB, 419 SP, 1 TB (16.6% LB)

13/14 - 68 LB, 398 SP, 1 TB (17.0% LB)

LB = Long Balls, SP = Short Passes, TB = Through Balls

Just for fun, different leagues, but still compared this with Mr Long Ball himself, Tony Pulis.

17/18, West Brom - 71 LB, 246 SP, TB 1 (28.7% LB)

16/17 West Brom - 70 LB, 243 SP, TB 1 (28.6% LB)

Spare a thought for West Brom fans.

That blows some myths out the water lol

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

:thumbsup:

So supports the view that we're not playing long ball, but we are dropping off and conceding possession hence making fewer passes in total.

Thanks - useful data.

I’m still not sure it does, it’s some stats backed up with little substance.  What constitutes a long pass, does a ball into the corners count as one or does it have to be in the direction of a teammate.  

If we string 30 short passes together between the defenders in a move and then lump it forward, the stats will look favourable, so are we a passing team or one that likes to play direct to bypass the midfield ? Having watched most games this season, imo we play direct football, and don’t have the players to play the nice attractive football seen under SM.

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

imo we play direct football, and don’t have the players to play the nice attractive football seen under SM.

Which has never been denied. The post was to debunk the myth that we’re a long ball side, that’s the single point I picked out Mistarams post which simply isn’t true.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Which has never been denied. The post was to debunk the myth that we’re a long ball side, that’s the single point I picked out Mistarams post which simply isn’t true.

Didn’t say you did, just pointing out that stats on their own don’t tell the whole story.  Just out of interest stats aside, what style of football do you believe we are playing ? I must admit I’m struggling to work it out, and seems a few others are as well.

17 minutes ago, David said:

David I didn't actually say we are a long ball side I said the Under23 don't use the long ball But its certainly isn't a myth that we are a long ball team I've seen us in 15 league games this season and seen more long balls than I've seen combined in the last four years But at the end of the day there are many ways to win games only thing really that matters come May is what's in that right hand column (pts )

39 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

David I didn't actually say we are a long ball side I said the Under23 don't use the long ball But its certainly isn't a myth that we are a long ball team I've seen us in 15 league games this season and seen more long balls than I've seen combined in the last four years But at the end of the day there are many ways to win games only thing really that matters come May is what's in that right hand column (pts )

You didn’t say it but clearly with this reply that’s what you meant :) 

I’ve seen all but Bristol City and Reading, long ball side simply isn’t true.

Yes we have played long balls, no denying that, we have the cannon that is Huddlestone but I’ve seen us move the ball on the deck far more than in the air.

32 minutes ago, David said:

You didn’t say it but clearly with this reply that’s what you meant :) 

I’ve seen all but Bristol City and Reading, long ball side simply isn’t true.

Yes we have played long balls, no denying that, we have the cannon that is Huddlestone but I’ve seen us move the ball on the deck far more than in the air.

No if I had meant it I would have said it ?

Archived