The derby way equals the Brian Clough way.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12 November 2017 at 18:02, MuespachRam said:

name a better manager we have had in the last 16 years...? exactly, you cant.

We'll have less of that language on here thank you

I'm slightly too young to remember the Clough era but of course I've watched loads of video of it. Strikes me that there is some rose tinted specs in terms of how we used to play. The highlights don't tend to suggest that we played an overly stylish type of football, certainly weren't afraid of a long pass......

Heresy, I know.

14 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

I'm slightly too young to remember the Clough era but of course I've watched loads of video of it. Strikes me that there is some rose tinted specs in terms of how we used to play. The highlights don't tend to suggest that we played an overly stylish type of football, certainly weren't afraid of a long pass......

Heresy, I know.

Literally just looks like; “defend well and give it to Hinton” doesn’t it?

The highlights of those matches  can be quite misleading.

You don't see much of Todd or McFarland taking the ball off a forward and strolling out of defence with it with the control of a Moore (Bobby, not Darren) or a Beckenbauer. 

Archie and Zak gliding over horrendous pitches as if they were bowling greens.

David Nish making Maldini look like a clogger.

Charlie George making Bergkamp look average,

Gladys Hinton who would leap over a tackle like a salmon up a waterfall yet could ghost past a hairy arsed fullback out to kill him and deliver pin point shots and crosses that Beckham could only dream about...

Top players who would have been great in any era, in any team.

Watching them for 90 minutes, match after match, season after season, you could only marvel at the sheer class and elegance of those players on terrible pitches with no protection from career threatening tackles.....

46 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The highlights of those matches  can be quite misleading.

You don't see much of Todd or McFarland taking the ball off a forward and strolling out of defence with it with the control of a Moore (Bobby, not Darren) or a Beckenbauer. 

Archie and Zak gliding over horrendous pitches as if they were bowling greens.

David Nish making Maldini look like a clogger.

Charlie George making Bergkamp look average,

Gladys Hinton who would leap over a tackle like a salmon up a waterfall yet could ghost past a hairy arsed fullback out to kill him and deliver pin point shots and crosses that Beckham could only dream about...

Top players who would have been great in any era, in any team.

Watching them for 90 minutes, match after match, season after season, you could only marvel at the sheer class and elegance of those players on terrible pitches with no protection from career threatening tackles.....

I've been watching a lot of the Derby team of that era...

Bloody brilliant,they would be superb even now.

Archived