West Ham appoint Moyes

David

Mrs is a Blackpool fan. We went to see the play off final vs WHU a few years ago. The WHU fans were vile. Giving it large outside pubs and deliberately intimidating kids and Oaps.  Mrs hasn't been to a match since.

The free stadium, the Sheffield utd story , the media love in, the sense of entitlement ....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Moist One said:

in fairness, what makes him a failure? What is his remit at WHam? If it's mid-table obscurity, then he's not really a failure. I doubt the bestest managers in the history of the game could've kept Sunderland in the PL. His Man Utd record was better than Van Gaal but with a fraction of the outlay, and Everton was a steady rebuild from relegation battlers to Champions League challengers. Whilst perhaps not dynamite enough or sexy enough, he's certainly steady enough.

Took over United who had just won the league, and had them in 7th the following season despite spending some. Van Gaal at least won a trophy and got them top 4.

Took over Real Sociedad who finished 4th previously and had them bottom half.

And then took Sunderland down where Allardyce kept them up and had them on midtable form.

IMO he’s an awful manager

15 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Took over United who had just won the league, and had them in 7th the following season despite spending some. Van Gaal at least won a trophy and got them top 4.

Took over Real Sociedad who finished 4th previously and had them bottom half.

And then took Sunderland down where Allardyce kept them up and had them on midtable form.

IMO he’s an awful manager

so you pick three jobs in which he was given less than a season to counter my opinion that he's steady (given time - as stated in previous post)

3 hours ago, Moist One said:

so you pick three jobs in which he was given less than a season to counter my opinion that he's steady (given time - as stated in previous post)

I was countering the failing part. He failed at United, Real Sociedad and Sunderland.

You could say that with time he could have produced more, but you could say the same for any manager sacked within a year after failing to hit their pre-season targets.

I think Moyes did a good job at Everton, but in a time where the PL had a completely different make-up.

It’s becoming increasingly more evident that the dull, men behind the ball percentage football isn’t wielding the same results as before (Leicester aside in what was a freak season).

Moyes’ mentality or style doesn’t really seem to fit these days, and in the transfer market he’s hardly the type to inspire you to join his side. 

West Ham are obviously worried about going down and feel Moyes is a safe short-term option to get them through the season safely, but I’m not so sure.

I think the overachievement of Huddersfield, Burnley and Brighton so far has left numerous teams near the bottom at panic stations.

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I was countering the failing part. He failed at United, Real Sociedad and Sunderland

so that begs the question, what is failure? When I say Pep failed at City last season, you refute this, but in relative terms, did he do any worse in season 1 than what Moyes did in any of those three jobs you mention?

7 hours ago, Moist One said:

so that begs the question, what is failure? When I say Pep failed at City last season, you refute this, but in relative terms, did he do any worse in season 1 than what Moyes did in any of those three jobs you mention?

Surely you can only be a failure if you fail to hit pre-season targets. What is the remit? You're right in asking that question, and in today's game it seems managers are now judged on a season-by-season basis.

Pep in his first season. What was his remit? If he was expected to win the league, or at least challenge and be within five points of the winners, along with a trophy and CL semi-final then he failed on all accounts.

But if Pep was expected to provide a better style of football, provide the base or platform for future success and beat the points tally for the previous season then he succeeded in all of his targets.

As a club, I guess you have to look at potential under your current manager. After Pep's first season, I'm 100% convinced the City board felt things would improve.

But can you say the same for Bilic at West Ham for instance. Did it ever look like they would get better? Did United ever look like they could get better under Moyes? I honestly don't think so.

Moyes' remit at United (considering they just won the league at a a canter under Fergie) would have been at least a title challenge, and positive intent in the transfer market. He failed on both accounts.

His remit at Real Sociedad would have been top half, an attractive stye of football (considering he still had the core of the squad who finished 4th previously) and to create a platform for future success. After 2 wins in 11 and no connection whatsoever with the club or the league, he had to go.

At Sunderland he simply failed to keep them up. Allardyce did it quite comfortably in the end, Moyes was nowhere near.

16 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I was countering the failing part. He failed at United, Real Sociedad and Sunderland.

You could say that with time he could have produced more, but you could say the same for any manager sacked within a year after failing to hit their pre-season targets.

I think Moyes did a good job at Everton, but in a time where the PL had a completely different make-up.

It’s becoming increasingly more evident that the dull, men behind the ball percentage football isn’t wielding the same results as before (Leicester aside in what was a freak season).

Moyes’ mentality or style doesn’t really seem to fit these days, and in the transfer market he’s hardly the type to inspire you to join his side. 

West Ham are obviously worried about going down and feel Moyes is a safe short-term option to get them through the season safely, but I’m not so sure.

I think the overachievement of Huddersfield, Burnley and Brighton so far has left numerous teams near the bottom at panic stations.

I'm off topic but I find these making quite a big contradiction... As much as I hate to say it, I'd say percentage football is the reason why teams you mentioned do better than Swansea, Bournemouth and even current Stoke.

8 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I'm off topic but I find these making quite a big contradiction... As much as I hate to say it, I'd say percentage football is the reason why teams you mentioned do better than Swansea, Bournemouth and even current Stoke.

Huddersfield and Brighton don't play percentage football, not in the sense that I mean. Both aren't even bottom five in the PL for possession stats, which considering they've just come up is decent. (Huddersfield are 12th).

West Brom and Stoke are the bottom two. And they're both rubbish.

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Huddersfield and Brighton don't play percentage football, not in the sense that I mean. Both aren't even bottom five in the PL for possession stats, which considering they've just come up is decent. (Huddersfield are 12th).

West Brom and Stoke are the bottom two. And they're both rubbish.

Alright, makes more sense if you base it just on possession.

On 07/11/2017 at 12:32, RadioactiveWaste said:

I really cant choose who id enjoy seeing relegated more....Leicester or west ham.

Thinking about it, probably west ham, Leicester's relegation will come in time anyway.

Both flauted the rules literally and morally with transfer dealings and administration and are where they are now as a direct result so I agree both deserve it.

As for who gets relegated I'll take whoever we're more likely to finish above next season.

Relegation will come to most apart from maybe 6 teams eventually. Stoke, WBA, Southhampton, Leicester etc may have done okay for a few years and regard themselves as being better than relegation fodder but it can all change in one season. Money, longstanding and reputation doesn't count for too much, who'd say for sure Everton won't go down at some point?

On 11/8/2017 at 00:51, Bris Vegas said:

You left out Watford (17th last season) from your list of "over-achievers".

7 hours ago, Grantona said:

You left out Watford (17th last season) from your list of "over-achievers".

Yeah, but I don't think Watford are overachieving quite as much as the other three.

With their connections, and hugely extensive scouting range, Watford have a big advantage over the other three in terms of recruitment and budget. There isn't any reason why they can't become a consistent top 10 club.

But with them included, it means the more established clubs such as West Brom, Stoke and West Ham now have a real possibility of going down this season.

It will be interesting. Swansea look really weak, Palace's terrible start leaves them with a mountain to climb meaning the other spot could now be filled up with somebody  unexpected, like West Brom or Stoke hopefully.

On 9/11/2017 at 02:41, Rample said:

Both flauted the rules literally and morally with transfer dealings and administration and are where they are now as a direct result so I agree both deserve it.

As for who gets relegated I'll take whoever we're more likely to finish above next season.

Relegation will come to most apart from maybe 6 teams eventually. Stoke, WBA, Southhampton, Leicester etc may have done okay for a few years and regard themselves as being better than relegation fodder but it can all change in one season. Money, longstanding and reputation doesn't count for too much, who'd say for sure Everton won't go down at some point?

I do place Everton among the seven clubs who are pretty much PL mainstayers. A terrible season for them would be 15th, while an excellent season for them would be 5th or so. 

The other 13 clubs are all ticking bombs. It could take a while, like Villa, Newcastle, Blackburn, Bolton or Fulham who all enjoyed some 10+ years in the PL, but they will eventually go down at some point.

Archived