Zak Brunt - Academy kid

Keepyuppy

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are his dad RamNut? If he was any good he’d had made it at one of his other 6 clubs, nice of us to give him another chance, looks like he thinks he’s too good for us, tough it out little man it’s a hard career and he’s currently making himself look like a bad egg everywhere he’s been

54 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Winning skills competitions at an early age does not mean you will have the talent or the skills to make it as a Pro.  Isn't the guy who is the best ball juggler a failed pro?

It's amazing what a PR campaign can do with a clueless media eager to hoover up human interest stories of kids with seemingly magical ball skills.

Anyone remember Freddie Adu? I never saw him play but I did see a fawning interview with him on Wogan or somesuch programme.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

but its equivalent to modern slavery.

Maybe modern day slavery is a bad term to use, considering there's modern day slavery which looks a lot like latter day slavery.

Perhaps a better turn of phrase would be first world slavery? As in first world problems that look nothing like big problems?

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

Ravel morrison is a w******

There is no suggestion that this lad's attitude is seriously wrong. Simply that he is frustrated with a lack of progress.

throw him into the u21s or u23s. It looks like he needs to be tested and stretched.

You get gifted kids who get bored at school.

This lad looks more like a Dan Crowley. Players who are so talented and so used to playing in teams way above their age group that they get frustrated by an apparent lack of progress.

Think it's sad that you've made up your mind that the blame lies with Derby rather than taking the view that the BBC story could possibly be slanted in such a way so as to portray a professional in a bad way.

The lad (and maybe his dad) don't appear to have a good track record. I don't know whether his claims have any substance or not but until I hear the clubs' side of the story then at the very least I'm happy to take a neutral view.

So if you signed up your kid to our academy, and then found out it wasn't working, and wanted him to move to another academy, only to be told there was a £120k ransom on his head.......that eould be ok would it.

lol

Sure. 

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

So if you signed up your kid to our academy, and then found out it wasn't working, and wanted him to move to another academy, only to be told there was a £120k ransom on his head.......that eould be ok would it.

lol

Sure. 

The kids had more contracts than hot dinners, shouldn't they have read the legal document properly?

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The kids had more contracts than hot dinners, shouldn't they have read the legal document properly?

How good were you at reading contracts aged 12. 

Actually i'm not sure its even in the contract. I read that if a player leaves by signing a YD07 form, then they can leave for free. If they have to sign a YD10 form then a fee is payable.

who gets to choose? Presumably if the club don't want you its a YD07, and if they do its a YD10.

Just now, RamNut said:

Actually i'm not sure its even in the contract. I read that if a player leaves by signing a YD07 form, then they can leave for free. If they have to sign a YD10 form then a fee is payable.

who gets to choose? Presumably if the club don't want you its a YD07, and if they do its a YD10.

I'm assuming his Dad/agent read them - they know the way the game goes, look at the kids history. C'mon it can't all go one way. I don't believe if we thought he was being fair we wouldn't be fair too!

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Do you seriously think that the kid was able to sign without some kind of guardian representing him Maybe Derby have decided after he had done the same with the likes of man utd man city and villa it was time to say enoughs enough

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

You are not legally allowed to sign an employment contract at 12 without the involvement of a parent/guardian.

You make out that the club has exploited a vulnerable child. What role do you imagine the father has played in this boy's career development?

Some of the comments on this thread smack of somebody who just likes having a mild pop at the club without really any substance behind it, somebody who if there is a negative side of the story wants to assume that the baddie in all this is the club and the owner because it fits in with their own personal narrative of the club and its hierarchy, somebody who will stick to that narrative in the face of any and all sensible and balanced comments to the contrary... but, considering that only one side of the story is being told here then how can any conclusions be drawn as to whether the club is being unreasonable in its behaviour or not?  Why assume the worst about the club? Why look for problems, issues and sinister motives when probably none exist? 

Is it morally wrong to abide by the rules and contracts? Unlikely.  Particularly if the player involved is breaking this contract by going to the press, breaking his contract by angling for a move, being a disruptive influence and so on and so forth. FWIW, we also only have the player's word for it that the club are holding out for the money because the club hasn't commented.  All this is a non-story about a disgruntled 'employee' (I know at that age is probably isn't truely an employee, but you know I mean) which if it wasn't related to football wouldn't get a mention.  

11 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You are not legally allowed to sign an employment contract at 12 without the involvement of a parent/guardian.

You make out that the club has exploited a vulnerable child. What role do you imagine the father has played in this boy's career development?

if it is true that we are demanding a transfer fee of £120k to release the player registration of a 15 year old apprentice, then i just happen to agree with those who say that it is wrong, including the contract lawyer.

Especially if that kills his career options.

Whether he is difficult to manage, whether his dad is a fool, is all irrelevant.

i would prefer that we find a way to develop him for us, but if it doesn't work then let him go for the £7k we paid. 

23 minutes ago, RamNut said:

if it is true that we are demanding a transfer fee of £120k to release the player registration of a 15 year old apprentice, then i just happen to agree with those who say that it is wrong, including the contract lawyer.

I imagine he's already done that himself with the numerous clubs he's already been through. I see no reason to release him for anything less than what his contract says. I bet you could find another contract lawyer who agrees with that pov!

P.s. I doubt very much whether it says in his contract that if he wants to leave, then another club must pay £40k for every year that he has been with us.

32 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Whether he is difficult to manage, whether his dad is a fool, is all irrelevant.

i would prefer that we find a way to develop him for us, but if it doesn't work then let him go for the £7k we paid. 

Allowing academy players to leave would just set the prescedent that would shaft everybody bar the big clubs?

Academies are already being shafted by EPPP which structures and limits fees.

Liverpool signed I’ve at fifteen after he’d already played for Wycombe. Should they have let him go just because he wanted to?

Archived