Zak Brunt - Academy kid

Keepyuppy

11 minutes ago, Gritters said:

It seems a bit strange Derby don't release him if he isn't good enough. 

Maybe proving a point, setting down a marker, don't mess with us when we've invested in you or we will demand recompense.

Mel is not going to be taken for a mug at any level, if that's the case,  fair play Derby.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Maybe proving a point, setting down a marker, don't mess with us when we've invested in you or we will demand recompense.

Mel is not going to be taken for a mug at any level, if that's the case,  fair play Derby.

Still no reason to keep him. If the lad reckons he's that good why not let him go but if he breaks through and makes it his club covers his cost to us. 

A cheap signing if he makes it.

17 minutes ago, FrostedRam said:

Article now on bbc website

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/41839083

Shows it's a fixed fee per year,the amount depending on the category.In this case 3 years x £40k. Some may be surprised by this kind of figure,but Academies like ours cost a heck of a lot of money to run.I can't give any figures,but I did notice that our FFP exemptions (for Youth Development//Infrastructure depreciation/Work in the Community,and,I think,Ladies' Football) appeared to come to over £5m in 15/16.Now depreciation would account for c£2m of that,but part of that depreciation would relate to the Academy,and I doubt (though I don't know) that the latter two instances would amount to that much.The Academy expenditure could easily come to around £3m/annum,when you factor in depreciation.

On the other hand,I'm pretty certain that Stephen Pearce said that the wages of Academy pros,who weren't part of the first team squad,were included in the exemptions and I can't possibly quantify this. Just to give you all a feel for the high running costs,that's all.

If I was cynical, I'd suggest the lad and his family/agent already have their next destination lined up, and are possibly hoping to profit from a cheaper than expected move, which Derby County have become aware of and are making the correct moves to ensure we're properly compensated.

Luckily I'm not cynical, and so am not suggesting that at all, it's obviously all about the lads development. 

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

Still no reason to keep him. If the lad reckons he's that good why not let him go but if he breaks through and makes it his club covers his cost to us. 

A cheap signing if he makes it.

Can't argue with that.

To me kids need to be taught principles and if we are making a principled stand that we have invested time and effort, rewarded by a contract, it should work 2 ways.

Footballers at ALL levels think you can down tools and swan off to the next best thing, leaving clubs high and dry. If this is Derby and Mel saying hang on, commitment is a two way thing, I applaud them. 

So by all means don't deny the kid a chance, so far though it seems a few clubs have given him that chance and he may be taking easy options all the time. Everything has a consequence. If he finds a club, let them pay a fee, you can debate the value by all means but my original point stands, matter of principle he shouldn't just be able to walk away from a contract without consequence.

We don’t know the whole story clearly He’s not the fastest is he. You can teach a lot of kids these Coerver style moves but obviously he’s skillful and loves the game. But the very best players can do this stuff with pace. If he’s that good another club can and will pay the fee. If he isn’t then they won’t. Bottom line is the dad must not think our academy or our coaches are giving his kid what he needs. Both sides have a point but if he’s that good someone will pay for him now or later.

Why do people sign contracts and then moan when they want to break them?

If he was that good other clubs would happily pay the £120,000. If they think that Derby arent providing what is expected then they should pursue it through the proper channels and not bleat to the media about it.

Fairly sure if hes not that good Derby will let him go sometime soon anyway and probably then he can go where he wants.

hi all

A parent with no professional expertise who obviously doesn't read a contract before signing it managing his own child, what could possibly go wrong?  LOL

If another club wants him badly enough they will be prepared to pay what DCFC are quite legitimately asking for.  It's not the amount, it's the principle.

Seems to me that papa thought he could outsmart a system run by professionals who have constant access to legal advice.  He was wrong.

The words 'bite', 'hand' and 'feeds' spring to mind...

LR2

I'm sure when he is banging in his third goal, to seal his hattrick and hand Real Madrid back to back European championships we will look back on this thread.

Or maybe when he is rotting somewhere or playing for his 8th non league club in 3 years his dad might wind his neck in a bit. I've worked at academy level. This guy ain't got a f****** clue.

1 hour ago, Donnyram said:

From the BBC website.  I'm sure there's two sides to this story -  I doubt Derby ask for £120k compensation for every player that wants to leave

Academy football: Zac Brunt case - is £120,000 fee for a 15-year-old what really happens?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41839083

If that’s what we value him at or at least believe our input into his development has cost us then.... yes. Simples ??

Archived