Zak Brunt - Academy kid

Keepyuppy

Did anyone see the interview with him and his dad on Victoria Derbyshires BBC Show this morning ?. 

They were on there complaining about Derby County wanting a fee of £120k for his release from his Acadamy contract to go to another club and him and his dad saying it could finish his career because no club will pay the fee to sign him. Initially I felt sorry for him, but did a bit of research and he’s done this several times to various clubs since he was 6 yrs old ( or his dad has ). Clubs that he’s left are Sheffield Utd, Man U, Aston Villa Man City and even tried to go to, I think it was Athletico Madrid, but EUEFA blocked that one - he’s ended up at Derby, but now wants to go elsewhere again. He and his Dad were basically slagging off DCFC for wanting to recover their development costs, as is totally legitimate within his Catagory 1 Academy Contract this he signed with his dad. To say this lad has got a bit of form for leaving clubs off is an understatement. I think the thing that he and his dad didn’t  read properly is his contract, which I believe is different once you reach 16yrs old and they either have to honour it or get another club who want him to pay the development compensation costs as defined in the contract. Apparently DCFC have acted absolutely correctly within the rules and contracts overseen by the FA Academy and other clubs do exactly the same, but Brunt and his dad were saying he will not be allowed to play anything other than Semi-pro football, if either another club or the lad himself don’t buy out his contract, because DCFC hold his ‘registration’. 

Seems a little strange for a young lad and his dad to go on national tv to try and gain support. 

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was featured in a book released earlier this year about problems at academy level and below. 

Basically he fell out with the club he was at. Then he came to derby and was full of praise for our academy set up. 

Sounds like him and his dad are trouble. 

The 15-year-old, now at Derby County, has already lived through extremes: from winning a skills title at Manchester United Soccer School aged six, to being without a club for 10 months due to a fall-out between his father, Glen, and Aston Villa.

A spell at Manchester City followed, but also soon ended in acrimony, before trials at Real Valladolid, Villarreal and Atletico Madrid materialised. The latter was impressed significantly enough to offer Zak a youth contract, but six months afterwards, his world twisted again.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/the-nightmares-that-lurk-beneath-the-football-dream-laid-bare-in-/4bg4ts9otawh1txlqx0x0ay1q

3 minutes ago, tinman said:

The 15-year-old, now at Derby County, has already lived through extremes: from winning a skills title at Manchester United Soccer School aged six, to being without a club for 10 months due to a fall-out between his father, Glen, and Aston Villa.

A spell at Manchester City followed, but also soon ended in acrimony, before trials at Real Valladolid, Villarreal and Atletico Madrid materialised. The latter was impressed significantly enough to offer Zak a youth contract, but six months afterwards, his world twisted again.

Looks like a magazine piece, shouldn't you quote the source to protect yourself?

4 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Is this a case of an overly pushy parent whose child simply isn't good enough to make it and he won't accept it?

If it is then I feel sorry for the lad.

Or is it a kid with an attitude problem who thinks he's God's gift to football, thinks he should be in the first team and won't accept that he needs to prove himself? Whichever it is, going public in the way he has will no doubt have finished any chance he had of making it here....

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Can’t he just see out his contact and then move?

Are we that bad an set up? Wonder what he doesn’t like?

I guess we'd be eligible for compensation if he moves before his 24th birthday.

Doesn't like the focus on gym work over football, the fact Derby has stopped him playing Futsal (in which he is an England u-19 international) plus training doesn't push him enough, and the meat free cottage pie was the last straw.

If he's looking for beef, I'd suggest he turn to his dad, who was fully aware of the industry standard release clause in his contract when he signed it, yet still was happy enough to go ahead.

10 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I guess we'd be eligible for compensation if he moves before his 24th birthday.

Doesn't like the focus on gym work over football, the fact Derby has stopped him playing Futsal (in which he is an England u-19 international) plus training doesn't push him enough, and the meat free cottage pie was the last straw.

If he's looking for beef, I'd suggest he turn to his dad, who was fully aware of the industry standard release clause in his contract when he signed it, yet still was happy enough to go ahead.

I don’t agree with it myself, but this is just industry standard anyway? 

1 minute ago, cannable said:

I don’t agree with it myself, but this is just industry standard anyway? 

I did feel it was short sighted to stop him playing Futsal.

If indeed that's what we did, I've always thought it was encouraged amongst the younger players, and it's never bad to have an international on the books.

Archived