NHS

Angry Ram

I’ve had a quick look at some of the posts. Our local hospital furness general has been on a steady decline. My mother in law who is 90 went in hospital in may with infection in her leg ulcers. Basically they left her to sit in her chair never incurred her to walk. Changed all her medication and ended up with delirium. When she came home we had to make the decision for her to go into a care home. Monday she was rushed back in with sepsis. Give them there due a&e were brilliant with her. Different story when she went on the ward. My mother in law has a care plan for her legs which was put in place by the district nursing team.The ward disregard this and did there own thing. So this afternoon we had try and get it through to them to stick to the care plan and the reason why.sorry For moaning. I know there are brilliant nurses in all hospitals. But if you have a loved one in hospital always ask what is happening.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walk in centres are a waste of time, in my experience.

If you're ill, you go to a GP in the certain knowledge you'll be well enough before the appointment comes round, and cancel the week before.

If you have an accident, and think you may have broken a bone, you go to the walk in centre, who promptly direct you to A&E because they don't have X-ray facilities. 

Has anyone ever been to a walk in centre and found the experience useful?

Ever?

16 hours ago, reveldevil said:

If you're ill, you go to a GP in the certain knowledge you'll be well enough before the appointment comes round, and cancel the week before.

If you have an accident, and think you may have broken a bone, you go to the walk in centre, who promptly direct you to A&E because they don't have X-ray facilities. 

Ever?

Yeah, I have loads of times, but only because  know what the Walk-in centre is for - minor ailments and minor injuries

Why would you go to the Walk-In centre with a broken bone?

6 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Yeah, I have loads of times, but only because  know what the Walk-in centre is for - minor ailments and minor injuries

Why would you go to the Walk-In centre with a broken bone?

Pretty hard to tell if an ankle, for instance, is broken or just severely bruised sometimes.

If you've got a minor ailment or injury, sort it out yourself. 

Unless walk in centres are different where you are, and you can see an actual doctor who can prescribe something otherwise unavailable.

The only one I've used is staffed by nurses and healthcare assistants only, and offers nothing you couldn't do yourself. 

4 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Pretty hard to tell if an ankle, for instance, is broken or just severely bruised sometimes.

If you've got a minor ailment or injury, sort it out yourself. 

Unless walk in centres are different where you are, and you can see an actual doctor who can prescribe something otherwise unavailable.

The only one I've used is staffed by nurses and healthcare assistants only, and offers nothing you couldn't do yourself. 

When I was living in Newcastle they would give free prescriptions. 

However, there was one time when I had a pill which got stuck in my throat and caused it to burn. After a day or so, I went to see someone at the centre - he tried to convince me it wasn’t possible for pills to get stuck in the throat. I went home baffled by how wrong he was, downed a few pints of milk and finally dislodged it. I could barely speak for a week due to the burn. 

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

When I was living in Newcastle they would give free prescriptions. 

However, there was one time when I had a pill which got stuck in my throat and caused it to burn. After a day or so, I went to see someone at the centre - he tried to convince me it wasn’t possible for pills to get stuck in the throat. I went home baffled by how wrong he was, downed a few pints of milk and finally dislodged it. I could barely speak for a week due to the burn. 

It must be the case that walk in centres are different wherever you are living then, I guess.

21 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Ever?

I have been when I tore my calf muscle and hamstring (not at the same time) playing football, gave me tips for recovery, how long I would be out for etc.

My doctors are rubbish, you can only make an appointment at 8am for the same day. You call for 40 minutes before you get through and all the appointments have gone for the day.

Have to say that the staff at the Derby Royal were brilliant when my youngest had an operation a few weeks ago, all the nurses were friendly, and couldn't have been more helpful. The doctor was brilliant explained everything and went through to make sure we understood what was needed for the after care for him.

9 minutes ago, rynny said:

I have been when I tore my calf muscle and hamstring (not at the same time) playing football, gave me tips for recovery, how long I would be out for etc.

My doctors are rubbish, you can only make an appointment at 8am for the same day. You call for 40 minutes before you get through and all the appointments have gone for the day.

But did they offer anything you couldn't have Googled? 

Did you see a doctor, who if need be could have prescribed something?

Did they have any options like ultrasound, scanners or X-Ray facilities that could have given you a definate diagnosis, along with the qualified staff to operate such equipment?

I'm not digging you out for attending, just genuinely interested in what you gained from it, especially as it seems from other posts that not all walk in centres are the same?

My frustration comes from the fact I've taken people there twice, only to be told they can't do anything and we need to be in A&E, which kind of negates the purpose.

On 01/11/2017 at 22:59, reveldevil said:

Ever?

Me & Mrs Wolfie both have.

One opened up in Newark a few months ago & we've both used it because we couldn't get GP appointments. I went there with a chest infection last winter & was seen within 30 mins and left with antibiotics after about an hour in total.

Mrs Wolfie has had good experiences as well.

I do think the NHS could do a better job of explaining exactly where to go for which ailments.

12 hours ago, reveldevil said:

But did they offer anything you couldn't have Googled? 

Did you see a doctor, who if need be could have prescribed something?

Did they have any options like ultrasound, scanners or X-Ray facilities that could have given you a definate diagnosis, along with the qualified staff to operate such equipment?

I'm not digging you out for attending, just genuinely interested in what you gained from it, especially as it seems from other posts that not all walk in centres are the same?

My frustration comes from the fact I've taken people there twice, only to be told they can't do anything and we need to be in A&E, which kind of negates the purpose.

I have found google very hit and miss when diagnosing symptoms.

I didn't need any tests, just a routine observation was sufficient, I saw a nurse and she advised that any medication that I would need would be cheaper over the counter than paying for the prescription (recommended ibuprofen gel) so I have no idea if they were available if they were required.

Thank the Lord my partner and I decided on Spain to retire to.We have a medical centre 2 miles from where we live,we have to make an appt. to see a doctor,if it is an emergency there is a walk in centre,where you queue but never takes more than 10 minuites.Our medication is available from the local pharmacy,we pay 10% of the RRP.Hospitals here are busy,in Malaga espescially,but we have a brand new hospital in Guadalhorse,where the treatment is excellent,and you will be seen in a very short time.

Dont know what other peoples views who have retired in Spain are,but we are extremely happy with our healthcare,just hoping that nothing changes to drastically due to Brexit.

Archived